Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by doribure doribure wrote:

Dream Theater, with "Falling Into Infinity" although it seems it's not the kind of album they wanted too.

It's like every band that signs to Roadrunner lose its spirit...

Erk! I like Falling Into Infinity. I thought with all the limitations they had to work around, they ended up being more creative in the end. Hell's Kitchen is my favorite Dream Theater song. Also, I feel like their stagnating now solely because they DO have complete control over their creative process and no boundaries. That can stifle creativity.

We can't overlook the fact that Rush released Clockwork Angels after signing to Roadrunner and it's one of their best albums Big smile

Well, I like it at least
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 23:09
Ambrosia…their first two are prog classics any way you slice ‘em, but then they made the unfortunate decision to go the route of blue-eyed soul/Hall & Oates clones and are nowadays largely defined by the hits they had during their latter period like How Much I Feel and The Biggest Part of Me (make up your own joke about the latter title).

A couple years ago the current version of the band appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon as a representative of “yacht rock” (term coined by the host), performing the latter song and driving yet another nail in the coffin of their prog roots. So it goes.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 23:31
The ongoing soap-opera that is Yes disappoints me tremendously....aging rockers playing 40 year old songs with tribute singers is not my idea of what this band is capable of.   

At his age, Jon Anderson is showing great creativity and spirit, while Yes is like a parade of cadavers.  Sad. 

Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 02:51
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The ongoing soap-opera that is Yes disappoints me tremendously....aging rockers playing 40 year old songs with tribute singers is not my idea of what this band is capable of.   

At his age, Jon Anderson is showing great creativity and spirit, while Yes is like a parade of cadavers.  Sad. 

Wow! He sounds great here! I'm going to have to look out for this album.
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 13:19
I had a dream years ago where I was walking along the English countryside hitch-hiking and Peter Gabriel picks me up in his car. I then proceeded to tell him what a God he is and what a big fan I am. After a half hour of this, Gabriel stops the car and just opens the door and quietly says "please leave". So I got out while he drove away.

So, yeah, that was a let down.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by RodrigoDeLeon RodrigoDeLeon wrote:

Tha Mars Volta after making 3 wonderful albums (De-Loused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute and Amputechture) weren't the same anymore. The Bedlam in Goliath , Octahedron and Noctourniquet (despite liking some tracks) are just "Meh" albums.

It is still sad that the band broke up, I had the hope they returned to the good ol' days.

I almost completely agree with Bedlam, and Octehedron, but for me Noctourniquet renewed my faith in them. I was musically blown away. A fitting adiós it would seem.

I actually didn't know they were broken up. Now I'm really freaking sad Cry

On a side note, apparently Cedric and Omar re-united At the Drive-in for a last hurrah tour. Would have been amazing to see one of those shows. I need to get with the times...

Edited by -Radioswim- - December 09 2013 at 14:23

Dust in the Kitchen
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

I had a dream years ago where I was walking along the English countryside hitch-hiking and Peter Gabriel picks me up in his car. I then proceeded to tell him what a God he is and what a big fan I am. After a half hour of this, Gabriel stops the car and just opens the door and quietly says "please leave". So I got out while he drove away.

So, yeah, that was a let down.

Haha, that's so funny.

I had a dream once that I was back stage with Wilson and Akerfeldt, and discovered that they wrote their music while high on LSD. Ermm "Say it isn't so!" Was my response. If that dream were true, I would have lost mad respect for them.

Dust in the Kitchen
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 15:03
My biggest disappointment was Peter Gabriel. He was my main idol for much of the late 70s. Those first few solo albums had a real dangerous edge to them, they just sounded so new, fresh, and clued-in. I remember when I bought 'Melting Face' and just didn't get it at first (way more new wave than I was used to) but eventually came to love it. It challenged me and I dug it (plus, it was weird to actually hear Games Without Frontier on the radio, which I did at least a few times).

When IV / Security came out, I could tell something was up. I still liked it, and it had Peter Hammill on it (but it was the first one without Fripp). But it was the start of the ethnic / world thing sneaking in (although Biko appeared on the previous album). The 'edge' wasn't in evidence as much. The live shows on this tour in '82, though, were great. However, the document of that tour, Plays Live, was jaw-droppingly awful. Somehow, PG managed to strip away all the danger, high energy, and fun from those shows and release a lamely produced snoozefest where every note is homogenized and "perfect." It's one of the most sterile live recordings I've heard.

Then So came out and that was it. He lost me (and I've never climbed aboard again, even though I've heard much of his stuff since). I don't mind good pop music (hell, I even like some Madonna tunes!) but PG was always a bit of a left-field, edgy creator to me and now he was just sterile, boring, and middle-of-the-road. All the fun and energy was gone.

That's my biggest musical disappointment. I don't mind PG changing up his style; one needs to do that or else it becomes stale and there's no progressing. But one doesn't have to be really boring while doing it. But those early albums (I, II, III) really bring back a lot of great memories when I hear them and still sound fresh in many spots.

Edited by bucka001 - December 09 2013 at 15:12
jc
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 01:05
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Originally posted by Billy 7 Billy 7 wrote:

Genesis not calling it a day when Hackett left !

Genesis should have called it a day after Trick of the Tail!

And deprive me of the instrumental break in One For The Vine!!

... but seriously folks all this reading this makes me think that listeners cannot abide things when bands start playing different tunes. progressive implies change and this is really abhorrent to many. I merely remark upon an observance.

It would seem you prog rock types Wink are just as bad as we pop fans when your favourite pop stars don't play the same thing but different (....Confused....) stuff.

One has to adjust one's thinking processes for this sort of high calibre content and when said content changes we have to learn to be progressive (adjust to change) as much as the acts do. e.g. the listeners that get into the altered sounds of post 1979 era Jethro Tull. That requires some effort. I found say Broadsword on And The Beast to be Tull album with synths sprayed everywhere. How hard does one have to try? # good listens and you're out?

Sometimes trends change and sometimes bands do. Yes reconvened in the 1980s, 30 years later many still have not got over the shock at .. choruses... but Yes is a name many know. And very few audients can adjust to a rock identity beyond one name. e.g. many hearing a Robert Plant song call it Led Zeppelin.

An example of a band changing but not with the times at all (and is not Zeppelin) is Pink Floyd with The Final Cut. An album that thematically is so un-rock. It is a modern day view back to the 1940s with the sounds and styles quite well interpreted. This is reflected back in the political arena of the 1980s - the Cold War comparison to the "hot" war of WW2. I suppose it is more rock and roll George Bernard Shaw than prog Chuck Berry. Still, there is a circular plus ca change resonance in this album. It may not meet immediate rock expectations but it has literary ones. Then comes the rock expectations. DG's solos especially.

In context of the Wall I tend not to view it as part 3 but as a focus on Waters' perspective of putting his father in the context of senseless war and relating that to a unchanging warmongering elite that push their agenda to the sacrifice of many. A microcosmos in the more macro view of The Wall.

No PF album has disappointed me but I have been annoyed by these box sets that do not include Relics; itself an album that should have been expanded ages ago with the singles and The Embryo to be included. That said I love Relics!

I would like one day to get into Clockwork Angels but have yet to see the point to this lyrical concept.

Disappointed with The Incident. Instead of a good concept album of suitable vignettes relating to a central premise and those melodies SW can manage it's a bit well, the result of too much on his plate and the result is not quite fulfilled. (IMHO I must say just in case someone thinks what I think is not a VHO).

Not many disappointments in prog rock for me; if something does not connect I do not blame the music. or even me. It's just a personality compatilbility thing and I don't get worked up over something not taking. C'est la vie as Greg Lake says so eloquently.

I like to view music as something to which I can adjust rather than resent it if I hear something that means I have to make an adjustment. It makes it more fun.

The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 02:26
The Flower Kings : 5 year gap between The Sum of No Evil & Banks of Eden.
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Rush after Hold Your Fire, Genesis after Duke, Yes when Trevor Rabin replaced Steve Howe, ELP when they went "orchestra", Marillion when Fish left the boat, Pink Floyd when they did "The Wall".  

Agreed re: Genesis after Duke.

I was disappointed with how Waters treated Richard Wright @ "The Wall".

You mean Genesis after Puke. You'd agree that much of it was awful. And Rush went downhill before and including Hold Your Fire.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:52
don't believe Rabin replaced Howe--no one can replace Howe--but he was doing other stuff at the time.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 15:11
Tull 75-76. Maybe they should have made 1 strong album with 1 year off instead of 2 in 2 years
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 16:10
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

And Rush went downhill before and including Hold Your Fire.

While HYF is uneven, I strongly disagree as the previous albums contain some of the most exciting music they recorded.

Now the two albums directly after HYF, I can understand. I only like 4-5 songs off each.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 20:47
I think the main problem isn't with the bands themselves, it's the sense of idealization that happens when you start to listen to favorites and not move on to newer things.  As long as someone like it, I don't feel like it's let me down, personally, because the artists and other fans are appreciating it.  I only don't like it when I let "them" (the big prog rockers) get in the way of my art.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 22:16
1980's disappointed me, just about killed off prog.Or maybe I just didn't make the transition in the style changes.
But most of the bands that were great in the 70's really didn't do much in the 80's.
Pink Floyd let me down after The Wall.
ELP after Brain Salad Surgery,Jethro Tull after Minstrel in the gallery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910