Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn what way did your prog favs let you down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmm....
Maybe not what you had in mind, but something that's been rather difficult to swallow for me, is when artists denounce their earlier music. Pink Floyd fx have been pretty nasty about Atom Heart Mother, especially Waters and Gilmour.
Now I happen to believe that AHM is a bonafide masterpiece, and that the epic selftitled track is a thing of pure art. A lot of that is obviously down to Ron Geesin's input and guidance, which is why I find it even more disrespectful. It was just as much his baby.

Dave, I agree about the album, and it especially bugs me as I've read over the years Gilmour having said things like he felt the album was rubbish. When I first started getting into prog, I only had cassettes of `Animals' and `Atom Heart Mother' (that tape was in vile condition too! ), and I had NEVER heard music like it! It was the most exciting, unique, varied, schizophrenic and strage album I had ever heard! Totally knocked me back....I remember being 16-17, spending a summer helping out at my Dad's work wrapping up and posting business calenders to clients, and I had that Atom Heart tape playing over and over for days on end :)

As for the topic of this thread, I was pretty disappointed when Porcupine Tree first started heading in the `harder/heavier' direction....as much as I still love those last few albums, they certainly lost a little bit of their subtlety :)
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:22
Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis. That was a drag. I was very fortunate to get to see The Lamb Lies Down show at the Shrine and the Selling England show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. But my last Genesis concert was Trick of the Tail in Burbank. And I never bought another Genesis album after Trick.
horza View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis. That was a drag. I was very fortunate to get to see The Lamb Lies Down show at the Shrine and the Selling England show at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. But my last Genesis concert was Trick of the Tail in Burbank. And I never bought another Genesis album after Trick.

Welcome to the Prog Archives - I notice you joined today.

Steve Hillage let me down - I saw him at the Glasgow Apollo in 1979 and he never returned. I loved that gig (the 'Open' tour) and always looked out for him coming back. Maybe one day
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:37
Thank you for the welcome, Horza.  Pleasure to be here!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:55
My first Yes album was 90125, after hearing Long Distance Runaround/The Fish on the radio and looking for that and similar songs. Quite disappointing, though I remember going "Oh, Owner of a Lonely Heart is Yes?!!"
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 17:20
Helmut Koellen leaving Triumvirat.
     No matter how hard they tried, the subsequent recordings paled by comparison to the ones with Helmut.
        When he left Triumvirat, so did their career.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 18:57
Clockwork Angels was a massive hype and the biggest Rush let down in their discog for me. Terribly boring record.
Talking Heads post-Speaking in Tongues
Radiohead's The King of Limbs. Not awful, but a clear weakening.  
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dysoriented View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:18
Dream Theater released some terrible songs for me, Forsaken and A Rite of Passage were both awful in my opinion. I know they were meant to be slightly poppy, but, DT just cannot do poppy properly.
BigElf smashed it with 'Money Machine' and 'Hex', but 'Cheat the Gallows' kinda sucked, I don't know why but the first time I listened to it I couldn't sit through the whole thing.

All I got so far, but those are more recent and fresh in the mind I guess? LOL
Oh but I do agree with RodrigoDeLeon that The Mars Volta lost it's flavour after amputechture.
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:18
Not trying to be a jerk here, but have you ever considered that your favorite prog bands might be disappointed in you as a fan?
malibusr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:37
Not trying to be a jerk here, but have you ever considered that your favorite prog bands might be disappointed in you as a fan?....

Now that is funny!!!!Clap
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by Floyd Steely Floyd Steely wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk here, but have you ever considered that your favorite prog bands might be disappointed in you as a fan?

No, that's just nonsense. Artists constantly mention that they lose and gain fans with new releases, it's what happens naturally when you experiment with your sound. As an artist, i wouldn't expect my fans to be uncompromisingly devoted to me.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:45
That was exactly my point. It's not necessarily the artist's fault when a listener doesn't connect with the work.

Edited by Floyd Steely - March 10 2013 at 19:47
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 19:54

Indeed.  Let down...who the hell are you for them to have let you down, Emperor of China?  There are albums I like and some that I don't.  What few tracks I heard of Clockwork Angels, King of Limbs, A Dramatic Turn of Events, Road Salt One, 2nd Law did not encourage me to proceed.  I think it's going to be the same with Raven That Refused to Sing.   Just didn't excite me, it obviously must have excited them so guess they're on a different trip from mine.   
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 20:03
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Dream Theater, when they released Systematic Chaos, though I enjoyed some tracks right off the bat, the album marked the end of my prog listening days for a couple of years. I was also disappointed when Mike Portnoy left, but they rectified that situation.King Crimson, when a few years ago I realized they'll probably never record an album again.Frank Zappa, not long after I first got into his music I found out he died in 1993.-------By the way Horza, I never gave you my permission for that sig. Wink But it's OK, you can leave it.

Systematic Chaos was the album that got me into DT - I saw them on that tour and had actually gone to see the support act, Symphony X.

My sig was a kind of tribute to something you said that I thought was quite funny. I will rectify

Systematic Chaos is one of my favourites too. A huge improvement on Octavarium in my eyes.

Same here. I found Octavarium had some great highs, but so many lows that it almost cancels out those highs. However I can't say I have many problems with any track on Systematic Chaos.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 21:57

Too funny! 

You may get a kick out of this article. Not about a prog band or artist, but it applies to your post. Kind of! Tongue

The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 02:12
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hmm....
Maybe not what you had in mind, but something that's been rather difficult to swallow for me, is when artists denounce their earlier music. Pink Floyd fx have been pretty nasty about Atom Heart Mother, especially Waters and Gilmour.
Now I happen to believe that AHM is a bonafide masterpiece, and that the epic selftitled track is a thing of pure art. A lot of that is obviously down to Ron Geesin's input and guidance, which is why I find it even more disrespectful. It was just as much his baby.

I agree whole heartedly. I have never understood why AHM has been put down by all members of Floyd.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 02:25
I found A Dramatic Turn of Events quite disappointing - a decent album if we're talking about musical ideas, but just way too full of musical noodling (something I hoped they would let go of when Mike P left)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 02:50
Most Steve Howe solo albums have been a disappointment. How can a musician be so great in a band and so bad solo Confused
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 04:35
Originally posted by ProgBob ProgBob wrote:

I discovered prog at a bad time.  Virtually every new album by artists I had just discovered was a disappointment:

Mike Oldfield - Platinum
Jethro Tull - A
Asia
Genesis - Abacab
Yes - 90125

I was initially perplexed by KC's Discipline but I came round to that one and I now regard it as a classic (unlike any of those mentioned above).

Don't be so hard on yourself. A IMHO is a tremendous album and I had been following them since 1972. To me it was such a breath of fresh air. I had had enough of their folk stuff...too much King Henry Madrigal, too much One Brown Mouse, too much folk. So A just gelled for me. I regularly go back and play it. I have always stated that A is a much underrated masterpiece.

As for Asia...well yes that was AOR at its worst IMHO. It was unfortunate that the Wishbone Ash guys (Andy Powell and Laurie Wisefield) weren't willing to let John Wetton into a contract that would allow him a share of songwriting and singing duties in WIshone. I am sure WA would have had a much more fruitful few years after 1981if that had been done. But Wetton left after one album with WA and formed Asia and the rest is history.

Discipline is a five star album. Love it.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 05:00
Originally posted by zeqexes zeqexes wrote:

I found A Dramatic Turn of Events quite disappointing - a decent album if we're talking about musical ideas, but just way too full of musical noodling (something I hoped they would let go of when Mike P left)

I gave a listen to this cd many times, but still can't find anything to satisfy me, except a couple of songs at the end. Since BCSL the band has disappointed me.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>