Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg For Meditation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog For Meditation
    Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:26
For me, the best is Klaus Schulze and Brian Eno, especially Evening Star (with Robert Fripp), and Apollo.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Must admit I haven't listened to any Kate Bush since The Sensual World so can't comment on her Snow album; however, the only two vocalists that I feel were able to use their voices purely as an instrument rather than as a vehicle to deliver words are Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance and Diamonda Galas.  In both cases, I don't hear the words but react emotionally as if listening to a soaring David Gilmour guitar solo.</span>

Awe Dead Can Dance.      what's not to love? Very powerful, intense and Melancholy music all wonderfully crafted with various new age/worldly sounds. I gotta ask my friend, what's the album you love the most by them? Also, did you hear their latest 'Anastasis'? Let me just say that 16 years of disbandment was worth the wait. :)

Haven't heard Anastasis but my fave DCD albums are the 1st one "Dead Can Dance" (my CD also includes the EP "Garden of the Arcane Delights")<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; "> and the live one "Toward the Within" (I also have the accompanying concert video).  I love the 1st one because they use a more standard rock instrumentation than subsequent releases when they go for more accurate period instruments.  Also really like Brendan Perry's solo album "Eye of the Hunter".</span>

Awe you like Toward the Within eh? Yeah. Me too. I have the DVD of that in my box set of theirs.
Anyway, my 3 favourites would have to be The Sepents Egg, In the Realm of a Dying Sun and of course their latest effort Anastasis. Amazing stuff. My all time favourite song By Perry is 'How Fortunate The Man With none.' gets me every time. Lol

I love his voice.  My fave DCD song of his is "American Dreaming" and off his solo album the opener "Saturday's Child".  She's wonderful too...especially with her made up language Wink

Oh Lisa Gerrard can make a grown man cry quite easily. Songs like Compassion, Sevean and Host Of Seraphim are really powerful. Love it. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 23:10

Must admit I haven't listened to any Kate Bush since The Sensual World so can't comment on her Snow album; however, the only two vocalists that I feel were able to use their voices purely as an instrument rather than as a vehicle to deliver words are Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance and Diamonda Galas.  In both cases, I don't hear the words but react emotionally as if listening to a soaring David Gilmour guitar solo.</span>

Awe Dead Can Dance.      what's not to love? Very powerful, intense and Melancholy music all wonderfully crafted with various new age/worldly sounds. I gotta ask my friend, what's the album you love the most by them? Also, did you hear their latest 'Anastasis'? Let me just say that 16 years of disbandment was worth the wait. :)

Haven't heard Anastasis but my fave DCD albums are the 1st one "Dead Can Dance" (my CD also includes the EP "Garden of the Arcane Delights")<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; "> and the live one "Toward the Within" (I also have the accompanying concert video).  I love the 1st one because they use a more standard rock instrumentation than subsequent releases when they go for more accurate period instruments.  Also really like Brendan Perry's solo album "Eye of the Hunter".</span>

Awe you like Toward the Within eh? Yeah. Me too. I have the DVD of that in my box set of theirs.
Anyway, my 3 favourites would have to be The Sepents Egg, In the Realm of a Dying Sun and of course their latest effort Anastasis. Amazing stuff. My all time favourite song By Perry is 'How Fortunate The Man With none.' gets me every time. Lol

I love his voice.  My fave DCD song of his is "American Dreaming" and off his solo album the opener "Saturday's Child".  She's wonderful too...especially with her made up language Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:33

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Yeah I agree with the ambient rec.
I mentioned the Berlin school of electronics earlier in this thread, and even if the ambient "style" still were in it's pyjamas, there are literally 100s of records that'll have you spiralling inside yourself until you reach a form of zenith, where everything turns white and peaceful(I'm just relegating how meditation works for me here - I don't believe in recipes for the mind)
Albums that work for me include:
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn, Picture Music, Timewind
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet, Rubycon, Quichotte
Didier Bocquet - Voyage Cerebral
Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara
Redshift - Ether
Steve Roach - Empetus

I think those are excellent suggestions, especially Klaus's Moondawn. That is a pretty special album in electronic prog.
Big time. :)

Thanks. If you enjoy Moondawn, then you gotta pick up Body Love pt 1 at some point. Probably his most melodic album to date, plus it features drumming like Moondawn kindly provided by Santana drummer Mike Shrieve, who plays completely unlike himself, but it works.

Ok Dave. I'll look into it. Thanks Mr. Trumpet. Lol my sh*tty segue here is that I love the new avatar. :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by dogen dogen wrote:

I have a meditation practice.
My understanding of genuine prog music is that it is generally intended to cause some sort of intellectual response; progressive implies a challenge to the current, to the status quo.
Just my opinion.

It's impossible to gauge the intent in the creation of any art, for an audience!

What you think you meant, someone or an audience will say something else. And there is too much doubt and misunderstanding, even for the clarity of the "great ones" that have been in time over the millenia!

In "reality" of the "truth", there is only one center, and everything else is around it, but we assuming that everyone sees the same thing or expecting the audience, me or you, to think this and that?  Sorry ... I rebel against a social mold! And no ... that would not be correct I do not believe, based on my own experiences.

There are NO WORDS that can aptly describe the inner side of meditation, and thus thinking that this or that or music or whatever is ... is just western idealism and has nothing to do with ... "meditation".

IT IS what it is. No words necessary!

Edited by moshkito - August 10 2013 at 16:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Shutoku View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 23:46
I agree with the idea that there are many different reasons people practice meditation, and it makes sense that there are therefore many different practices.

My very first experience with music meditation happened when I was about 12 years old. I had been reading a book on yoga that described a meditation in which you do not listen to music, but you create a song in your mind. Not an improve, but an existing song. Sort of like visualizing a mandala but with sound.
I think I chose "Jet" by Paul McCartney because it was a big hit at the time, and I was a Beatle freak.
I lay down, closed my eyes and started the meditation. It started out pretty normal I guess. Now I either fell asleep and had a sort of psychadelic lucid dream, or I went into some sort of trance, but it ceased being "Jet" and became a sort of free form fusion thing with guitar solos, all accompanied by mostly purple visuals. (I should also mention I was not using drugs at this point in my life LOLI came out of it knowing it was a fairly transformative experience.

I am for the last 20 or so years, a practicing Buddhist and a sort of lay Sensei at a local Temple. It is not a meditation based sect though, it is Jodo Shinshu (Japanese Pure Land) however I also practiced Soto Zen for many years.
It is true that in Soto Zen the practice is Shikan-taza, which is "nothing but sitting" No mantra, no visualising, no music....nothing to attach the mind too. I think it is a wonderful practice if you want a very pure sort of thing with no connection to concepts or any sort of contrivance, but it is difficult.

For me to use music now it would have to be some sort of ambient type of thing, because if it is melodic or structured, I immediately start figuring out how to play all the parts. (I earn my living as a music teacher so I am very accustomed to learning songs for each instrument)
Electronic music is good for that, but also some traditional chant music, and ethnic music for meditation, like Indian and Japanese music.  I find Sitars, and Koto's good for that sort of thing. Shakuhachi is popular, but I find it distracting sometimes.

Edited by Shutoku - August 09 2013 at 23:51
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 23:28

Haven't heard Anastasis but my fave DCD albums are the 1st one "Dead Can Dance" (my CD also includes the EP "Garden of the Arcane Delights") and the live one "Toward the Within" (I also have the accompanying concert video).  I love the 1st one because they use a more standard rock instrumentation than subsequent releases when they go for more accurate period instruments.  Also really like Brendan Perry's solo album "Eye of the Hunter".
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 19:05
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I have recently begun to meditate, and I like to meditate with music as it gives me a spiritual lift. I have tried with all kinds of albums, and so far my favourites are Glass Hammer's "Chronometree" and Ozric Tentacles' "Jurassic Shift".

Can anybody recommend any prog that would be good for meditation? Also, please feel free to share your experiences in meditation.

Peace!

Ying Yang

This week I recommend this one. It's some of my favorite and best electronic music. He goes by the name "IASOS" (Pronounced "yasos").  I've been following & listening to Iasos since the early '80's. He describes his music as "Inter-Dimensional" that can be specific-applicable for spiritual healing, energizing, cleansing, inner-awareness, and of course, meditation. Otherwise the music is exquisite Progressive Ambient & World that can be enjoyed on its own.. Best just go to Google,  you will like his website.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:19

I mentioned the Berlin school of electronics earlier in this thread, and even if the ambient "style" still were in it's pyjamas, there are literally 100s of records that'll have you spiralling inside yourself until you reach a form of zenith, where everything turns white and peaceful(I'm just relegating how meditation works for me here - I don't believe in recipes for the mind)
Redshift - Ether
Steve Roach - Empetus

I think those are excellent suggestions, especially Klaus's Moondawn. That is a pretty special album in electronic prog.

Thanks. If you enjoy Moondawn, then you gotta pick up Body Love pt 1 at some point. Probably his most melodic album to date, plus it features drumming like Moondawn kindly provided by Santana drummer Mike Shrieve, who plays completely unlike himself, but it works.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 04:16
I'm not into meditation myself, but I enjoy inducing a state of self introspection through certain sorts of music. Most of it has already been referenced in this thread, especially german musicians like Manuel Gottsching or Klaus Schulze. But a musician that hasn't been referenced yet and that I truly appreciate is Dylan Panek.

Best.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 16:01

Redshift - Ether
Steve Roach - Empetus

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 12:09
Dave Bainbridge's solo album, The Veil of Gossamer, could fit the bill...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 14:42
Some people use meditation to test their ability to block out, ignore, or filter out the noise and chaos of Earthly life. Maybe meditating to some Tech/Extreme Metal would be more appropriate.

Personally, I love moving meditation--especially spinning like the Sufi whirling dervishes--and there's aTON of music that gets me spinning--gamellan, Magma, Steve Reich and Philip Glass, Krautrock, TD/Schulze/Froese, the Gordon Brothers & Buddha Lounge (Sequoia Records) or Ibiza/Paul Oakenfeld rave music, too. 

But, I agree with others who think the purpose of meditation is to find the "space between" life, reality, and stimuli.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 05:34

Redshift - Ether
Steve Roach - Empetus

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dogen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 04:36
Perhaps ambient music may be of use? The fairly static, long form soundscape compositions may be particularly suited. I'm rather partial to the works of Steve Roach. For those so inclined, he has an app which is to create endless soundscapes; it's called Immersion.
dogen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2013 at 04:31
I have a meditation practice. Obviously there are many types of meditation, and in some there is a sound focus.

My understanding of genuine prog music is that it is generally intended to cause some sort of intellectual response; progressive implies a challenge to the current, to the status quo. For this reason it would not seem an obvious contender as a meditation tool.

Just my opinion.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 23:14
Originally posted by The Mystical The Mystical wrote:

I have recently begun to meditate, and I like to meditate with music as it gives me a spiritual lift. I have tried with all kinds of albums, and so far my favourites are Glass Hammer's "Chronometree" and Ozric Tentacles' "Jurassic Shift".

Can anybody recommend any prog that would be good for meditation? Also, please feel free to share your experiences in meditation.

Peace!

Ying Yang

Recently discovered this San Francisco bay area five-piece group:

(The) LUMERIANS - "The High Frontier" is their latest release (2013)

Psychedelic/Space Rock style have  lots of keyboard meditative instrumental moments.

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 18:13
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Whenever i listen to any music, i empty my mind and focus on the music only, and usually don't engage in any other activity or even move when i listen. Sometimes i close my eyes as well. Is that sort of meditation? If it is, then depending on my mood, anything would suffice.(anything in my collection, i mean)
     Lately early Wishbone Ash have been really doing it for me.

Absolutely it is. Your allowing yourself to concentrate and focus on one thing while eliminating the outside world.
Music is that gateway. I don't move and I close my eyes as well. Its a great way to focus. I also like the use of headphones because that makes me feel far more immersed in the very fabric that is 'sound.'
:)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2013 at 17:50

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I always believed a goal of meditation was to allow your consciousness to explore or make discoveries by the intense focus on a single thought/mantra/candle flame/etc.  I'd find meditating to any prog with vocals way too distracting as I'd be focused on the words and their meaning instead of allowing the unconscious exploration which could (hopefully) lead to unexpected insights. 

That depends, since the voice is ALSO, an instrument ... but we have not heard many things in music that show the voice as an instrument, instead of thinking that the lyrics are more important than the instrument, and it must be what it is about, kind of thing ... it's almost like a child's story, and you come to believe it!

If you hear some of the vocal things in the ECM label, and some others, or hear the stuff with Khan (sorry, have never remembered his full name!), you will find that ... you don't get it ... this is not like a song, that we know ... and the main reason why folks won't listen to it a whole lot! It's so different, from the topical and repetitive pop music design that most folks do in rock music ... why? it's the easiest and you don't have to pay a teacher for it! It's easy to say, there is no apreciation to take it any further in their life, other than make more money. It lacks depth and soul behind it all!

Now, who, can we say, uses his/her voice as an instrument, and in many ways, you don't even hear the lyrics, and you already know ... that it's true! For me, a lot of Peter Hammill is a vocal meditation, and the other one is Kate Bush's Snow album ... that is almost pure music in the Hindu definition of it ... it just flows and goes ... it stops when it does ... and you don't feel empty, or missing out on something! You know right away, this is what she was looking for ... something that was not pop music, but was pure poetry, from beginning to end ... and there it is ... as progressive as any music has been for 30years ... and we don't even realize it! It's a perfect "meditation" and leaves you very quiet inside ... you wish you could do that ... with yourself even, let alone with a matey!

Must admit I haven't listened to any Kate Bush since The Sensual World so can't comment on her Snow album; however, t<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; ">he only two vocalists that I feel were able to use their voices purely as an instrument rather than as a vehicle to deliver words are Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance and Diamonda Galas.  In both cases, I don't hear the words but react emotionally as if listening to a soaring David Gilmour guitar solo.</span>

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>