Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg For Meditation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog For Meditation
    Posted: March 11 2013 at 02:20
I have recently begun to meditate, and I like to meditate with music as it gives me a spiritual lift. I have tried with all kinds of albums, and so far my favourites are Glass Hammer's "Chronometree" and Ozric Tentacles' "Jurassic Shift".

Can anybody recommend any prog that would be good for meditation? Also, please feel free to share your experiences in meditation.

Peace!

Ying Yang
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 03:34
I meditate without music, to experience the "silence."
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 03:45
I recommend you the american band Days Between Stations. Wink

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 03:52
I would recommend Steve Hillage, especially songs like his cover of Donovan's "Hurdy-Gurdy Man" or the "Om Song". There's also some Pink Floyd material which can help setting a sound environment adequate to a meditation seance.

But the best music to meditate would be sacred music from every religion: judaism, christianism, buddhism, islam, etc...
If you're looking for progressive rock music, you'd better try the Great Cosmic Music from the Berlin School: Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, and other German bands such as Ash Ra Tempel or Popol Vuh.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 05:28
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I would recommend Steve Hillage, especially songs like his cover of Donovan's "Hurdy-Gurdy Man" or the "Om Song". There's also some Pink Floyd material which can help setting a sound environment adequate to a meditation seance.

But the best music to meditate would be sacred music from every religion: judaism, christianism, buddhism, islam, etc...
If you're looking for progressive rock music, you'd better try the Great Cosmic Music from the Berlin School: Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, and other German bands such as Ash Ra Tempel or Popol Vuh.

Steve Hillage is among my favourites to meditate with. I have just bought a tonne of Tangerine Dream, so I'll try that too. Thanks everyone.
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 05:59
Steve Hillage - Rainbow Dome Musick.  Perfect !!  Wink
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 06:35
I wish I could find time to meditate Confused
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 06:46
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

If you can find time to make one thousand and seven hundred posts in a forum about prog music, you can find time to meditate mah man.
I am currently digging:

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 06:55
The aim of meditation is to silence the mind. I don't see how you could possibly achieve that with music on, much less prog music.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 06:57
One word: Electronic!

Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Cluster, Ashra and anything to do with Berlin School. I use it myself actually, and the lack of "explosions" and noisy rocking segments, does tend to lull you even further down the rabbit hole.

Other than that, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Pepe Maina, Jade Warrior and maybe Taj Mahal Travellers(they do work for me).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:48
Certain Jade Warrior albums. Kites, Horizons, Breathing the Storm, Waves, and sections of Floating World.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:51
Mostly everything from Popol Vuh. I suppose today...they are considered prog. I never totally agreed with that term in relation to Popol Vuh except for some sections of their music which displayed adventurous guitar, bass, piano, and drums. They are very spiritual.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 11:57
Fully agree with that sentiment monsieur TODDLER. I can't believe I forgot to mention Popol Vuh....
Spiritual is indeed the right word for this music, and depending on what type of 'trip' that the op is going for, then I would strongly suggest In den Garten Pharaos, if he can dig a little rumble in the jungle type percussion with his keys.
Seligpreisung would do the trick too, albeit in a far more soothing manner.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:01

Thank you ... I was gonna say ... the album that was made for meditation, was the one not mentioned ... that would be very strange and weird.

This is a tough area for "progressive" music of any kind. and you are going to find that many people dabble in it and play with it a lot ... and Stiv is one ... but then, it's absolutely bizarre that Daevid Allen is not mentioned and he used to do seminars on meditation with instruments! BUT, some folks would say that is not "prog".

In general, most "prog" music is not very good for meditation, as it has a tendency to interrupt you, rather than help guide you through the spheres ... but if you are looking for music that is trippy and far out, and leads to inner quiet that you can wind up a large dose of visuals with ... then you would want to use the word "music" for that, instead of "prog" ... because any "style" will be subjective and not objective enough, or open enough for you to be able to fly off with it.

So, my list is not "prog" because the term is not on par with meditation, and I will list some meditation folks, that are "pure" meditation, not talk ... make sure you understand that, before you call me a jerk!

1. Klaus Schulze -- his long pieces are magnificent ... music for the adept, not kids!
2. Frank Perry - Absolutely powerful stuff with bells ... there is no better!
3. Wolff and Hemmings - Original Tibetan Bells stuff ... very good
4. Amon Duul (one) -- their early stuff is just a "drum circle" so to speak ... but it is good for meditation within a modern format, even though you might think you are re-living a Grateful Dead moment!  With one bad little thing ... some idiot/or acidholus decided to play a gag on a couple of the albums, and they are really bad, and distracting ... and break the flow badly! Though it is funny, the continuity is fine ...
5. Ash Ra Tempel - Specially Join Inn, although it tends to come off a bit on the sexy/sexist, but it is a nice flow, in general
6. AshRa - Continuation but more musically/theme minded than other wise and the music flows nicely.
7. Annubis Nights - Nik Turner's original thing was hardcore meditation music ... very tough to stay with, if you are not musically induced and tripped.
8. Popol Vuh - No one spent more time making sure he could bring music to that realm than Florian. Some of the prettiest things ever, despite some of it being used in film, the material still stood out on its own as well.
9. Kitaro - Folks love to tear him down for being too new-agey ... but in reality he is actually very with it and very good musician and he has done some nice things along the way.
10. Deuter - The first album fits as a bit of "prog", but the rest of his music is all about meditation and inner stuff, despite his connection. And very good too!
11. Roach/Riley and such -- Roach is specially nice, and quite experimental, but with very nice moments. Riley is a bit more classical in his approach, and very electronic compared to the stuff we're used to ... sometimes I consider this old-time hard analogue.
12. Tangerine Dream -- Lately, the cuts have gotten smaller ... and not as neat ... but any 20 minute non-stop trip they have is magnificent ... though it tends to "tell you a story" just like you had when you were a kid!
13. Paul Horn -- Enogh said!
14. Some Keith Jarrett ... put on "The Koln Concert" ... more prog than most prog will ever be!

I have a couple of others that I like to listen to during quiet moments ... there is a lot of work from Anthony Phillips that is very pretty, quite soft, and stands out ... and it allows you inner peace and space.

I am an "avid" collector of music that colors the further levels and experiments within the mind ... and as such, no music will ever be conducted/composed that fits your desctiption ... because the inner thing ... is not really a rock thing, and in the end, talking to you or anyone here about a ROCK RAGA, is a total and complete dead end ... and there are rock groups in India, that we will never discuss that DO rock ragas and very well, too! BUT, we have a problem here ... if I show you an African band doing a raga, you are going to say ... that's not prog ... and walk away ... then you are not into meditation, but into an idea of the music you want ... and you will never find it ... why? ... only you would be able to illustrate that idea with music! If you knew how to play!

More as I remember it!

Edited by moshkito - March 11 2013 at 12:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 12:40
I meditate in my sleep and at the time prior to falling asleep. Cool things (drum patterns, guitar parts with delicious tones, etc.) come into my head before I black out. No music necessary from the outer world, let alone prog.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 11 2013 at 12:41
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Thank you ... I was gonna say ... the album that was made for meditation, was the one not mentioned ... that would be very strange and weird.

This is a tough area for "progressive" music of any kind. and you are going to find that many people dabble in it and play with it a lot ... and Stiv is one ... but then, it's absolutely bizarre that Daevid Allen is not mentioned and he used to do seminars on meditation with instruments! BUT, some folks would say that is not "prog".

In general, most "prog" music is not very good for meditation, as it has a tendency to interrupt you, rather than help guide you through the spheres ... but if you are looking for music that is trippy and far out, and leads to inner quiet that you can wind up a large dose of visuals with ... then you would want to use the word "music" for that, instead of "prog" ... because any "style" will be subjective and not objective enough, or open enough for you to be able to fly off with it.

So, my list is not "prog" because the term is not on par with meditation, and I will list some meditation folks, that are "pure" meditation, not talk ... make sure you understand that, before you call me a jerk!

1. Klaus Schulze -- his long pieces are magnificent ... music for the adept, not kids!
2. Frank Perry - Absolutely powerful stuff with bells ... there is no better!
3. Wolff and Hemmings - Original Tibetan Bells stuff ... very good
4. Amon Duul (one) -- their early stuff is just a "drum circle" so to speak ... but it is good for meditation within a modern format, even though you might think you are re-living a Grateful Dead moment!  With one bad little thing ... some idiot/or acidholus decided to play a gag on a couple of the albums, and they are really bad, and distracting ... and break the flow badly! Though it is funny, the continuity is fine ...
5. Ash Ra Tempel - Specially Join Inn, although it tends to come off a bit on the sexy/sexist, but it is a nice flow, in general
6. AshRa - Continuation but more musically/theme minded than other wise and the music flows nicely.
7. Annubis Nights - Nik Turner's original thing was hardcore meditation music ... very tough to stay with, if you are not musically induced and tripped.
8. Popol Vuh - No one spent more time making sure he could bring music to that realm than Florian. Some of the prettiest things ever, despite some of it being used in film, the material still stood out on its own as well.
9. Kitaro - Folks love to tear him down for being too new-agey ... but in reality he is actually very with it and very good musician and he has done some nice things along the way.
10. Deuter - The first album fits as a bit of "prog", but the rest of his music is all about meditation and inner stuff, despite his connection. And very good too!
11. Roach/Riley and such -- Roach is specially nice, and quite experimental, but with very nice moments. Riley is a bit more classical in his approach, and very electronic compared to the stuff we're used to ... sometimes I consider this old-time hard analogue.
12. Tangerine Dream -- Lately, the cuts have gotten smaller ... and not as neat ... but any 20 minute non-stop trip they have is magnificent ... though it tends to "tell you a story" just like you had when you were a kid!
13. Paul Horn -- Enogh said!
14. Some Keith Jarrett ... put on "The Koln Concert" ... more prog than most prog will ever be!

I have a couple of others that I like to listen to during quiet moments ... there is a lot of work from Anthony Phillips that is very pretty, quite soft, and stands out ... and it allows you inner peace and space.

I am an "avid" collector of music that colors the further levels and experiments within the mind ... and as such, no music will ever be conducted/composed that fits your desctiption ... because the inner thing ... is not really a rock thing, and in the end, talking to you or anyone here about a ROCK RAGA, is a total and complete dead end ... and there are rock groups in India, that we will never discuss that DO rock ragas and very well, too! BUT, we have a problem here ... if I show you an African band doing a raga, you are going to say ... that's not prog ... and walk away ... then you are not into meditation, but into an idea of the music you want ... and you will never find it ... why? ... only you would be able to illustrate that idea with music! If you knew how to play!

More as I remember it!

I have everything on this list! It's a pleasure to meet you! I am a different circadian rhythm of the world that values purity in life. This list means everything to me.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:14
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I meditate in my sleep and at the time prior to falling asleep. Cool things (drum patterns, guitar parts with delicious tones, etc.) come into my head before I black out. No music necessary from the outer world, let alone prog.

I think that is very fair to say ... because there is music that I hear that I have not heard yet ... and what's more ... it involved folks that I have met and spent time with every now and then!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:28
KITARO can supply quality atmospheres conducive to meditation....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 13:47
Hi,

Adding more ... as I remember them!

Stomu Yamash'ta - in his later incarnation has some outstanding things.

Eberhard Schoenner - More experimental, and a bit on the academic side, but if you put on "Trance - Formation" ... you will learn real quick that Enigma was a fake! 20 years too late, too!

Vangelis - In general his "theme" pieces are pretty but not as nice as other things ... for example, you can put on "La Fete Sauvage" and have a really nice safari in your head! Just from the sound effects themselves ... and we might say ... that's not meditation! You can put on El Greco, Beaubourg (specially!!!!!!), and many other albums that are more "classical" for him, and they are very nice trips. I happen to love his first album .. "Earth" ... a LOT!

Mike Oldfield - to a degree. TB, I would say no ... but when you hear "Voyager" or "Songs of Distant Earth" ... or "Incantations" ... I would say ... Ohhhhh yeahhhh!

Egberto Gismonti -- His early solo days are magnificent ... welcome to my accoustic jungle and that guitar flies for many minutes ... very pretty and quiet. Later he did this in a more jazz'y confine (Sanfona) and classical confine (No Caipira --- a MUST get album!!!!!). Since then, he is more piano oriented, and for my ear and taste not as nice, but his stuff in those early days is meditation in the middle of the forest ... very accoustic!

(I'm running out of mentions!!!)

On the esoteric side, and not something that everyone can understand or appreciate ... Walter Wegmuller's "Tarot" is actually magnificent .,.. with one problem ... we do not get or understand the "vocals" as a mystic authority, instead of a silly rock singer! The music interpretation is magnificent, btw, although totally off the wall and non-conventional!

(more as I remember)

Edited by moshkito - March 11 2013 at 13:59
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:54
I love the 5 tracks recorded at Grace Cathedral , San Francisco on Beaver and Krause's Gandharva. Bernard Krause states in the present: "Basically we just wanted to jam and have a great musical time bringing music from a point of noise to a place very much quieter and more contemplative. The LP grew out of Beaver and Krause's ambitions to create the first live quadraphonic album. Gail Laughton on two harps (simultaneously), I hold in the highest regard! I used to have 1 of his solo albums. Gandharva (from Hindu mythology), means the celestial musician. It's also very innovative and in a world of it's own.

One of my favorite electronic albums is Sonic Seasonings by Wendy Carlos. It's endless soundscapes and on the remaster there are 2 extensive meditative pieces crying to be heard. Sonic Seasonings and Gandharva are both innovative concept albums that influenced Electronic artists globally. Many of these artists were consulting with Bob Moog before releasing their music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>