Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg For Meditation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 16:03
Originally posted by dogen dogen wrote:

I have a meditation practice.
My understanding of genuine prog music is that it is generally intended to cause some sort of intellectual response; progressive implies a challenge to the current, to the status quo.
Just my opinion.

It's impossible to gauge the intent in the creation of any art, for an audience!

What you think you meant, someone or an audience will say something else. And there is too much doubt and misunderstanding, even for the clarity of the "great ones" that have been in time over the millenia!

In "reality" of the "truth", there is only one center, and everything else is around it, but we assuming that everyone sees the same thing or expecting the audience, me or you, to think this and that?  Sorry ... I rebel against a social mold! And no ... that would not be correct I do not believe, based on my own experiences.

There are NO WORDS that can aptly describe the inner side of meditation, and thus thinking that this or that or music or whatever is ... is just western idealism and has nothing to do with ... "meditation".

IT IS what it is. No words necessary!

Edited by moshkito - August 10 2013 at 16:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Yeah I agree with the ambient rec.
I mentioned the Berlin school of electronics earlier in this thread, and even if the ambient "style" still were in it's pyjamas, there are literally 100s of records that'll have you spiralling inside yourself until you reach a form of zenith, where everything turns white and peaceful(I'm just relegating how meditation works for me here - I don't believe in recipes for the mind)
Albums that work for me include:
Klaus Schulze - Moondawn, Picture Music, Timewind
Tangerine Dream - Ricochet, Rubycon, Quichotte
Didier Bocquet - Voyage Cerebral
Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara
Redshift - Ether
Steve Roach - Empetus

I think those are excellent suggestions, especially Klaus's Moondawn. That is a pretty special album in electronic prog.
Big time. :)

Thanks. If you enjoy Moondawn, then you gotta pick up Body Love pt 1 at some point. Probably his most melodic album to date, plus it features drumming like Moondawn kindly provided by Santana drummer Mike Shrieve, who plays completely unlike himself, but it works.

Ok Dave. I'll look into it. Thanks Mr. Trumpet. Lol my sh*tty segue here is that I love the new avatar. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 10:33
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Must admit I haven't listened to any Kate Bush since The Sensual World so can't comment on her Snow album; however, the only two vocalists that I feel were able to use their voices purely as an instrument rather than as a vehicle to deliver words are Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance and Diamonda Galas.  In both cases, I don't hear the words but react emotionally as if listening to a soaring David Gilmour guitar solo.</span>

Awe Dead Can Dance.      what's not to love? Very powerful, intense and Melancholy music all wonderfully crafted with various new age/worldly sounds. I gotta ask my friend, what's the album you love the most by them? Also, did you hear their latest 'Anastasis'? Let me just say that 16 years of disbandment was worth the wait. :)

Haven't heard Anastasis but my fave DCD albums are the 1st one "Dead Can Dance" (my CD also includes the EP "Garden of the Arcane Delights")<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; "> and the live one "Toward the Within" (I also have the accompanying concert video).  I love the 1st one because they use a more standard rock instrumentation than subsequent releases when they go for more accurate period instruments.  Also really like Brendan Perry's solo album "Eye of the Hunter".</span>

Awe you like Toward the Within eh? Yeah. Me too. I have the DVD of that in my box set of theirs.
Anyway, my 3 favourites would have to be The Sepents Egg, In the Realm of a Dying Sun and of course their latest effort Anastasis. Amazing stuff. My all time favourite song By Perry is 'How Fortunate The Man With none.' gets me every time. Lol
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 23:10

Must admit I haven't listened to any Kate Bush since The Sensual World so can't comment on her Snow album; however, the only two vocalists that I feel were able to use their voices purely as an instrument rather than as a vehicle to deliver words are Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance and Diamonda Galas.  In both cases, I don't hear the words but react emotionally as if listening to a soaring David Gilmour guitar solo.</span>

Awe Dead Can Dance.      what's not to love? Very powerful, intense and Melancholy music all wonderfully crafted with various new age/worldly sounds. I gotta ask my friend, what's the album you love the most by them? Also, did you hear their latest 'Anastasis'? Let me just say that 16 years of disbandment was worth the wait. :)

Haven't heard Anastasis but my fave DCD albums are the 1st one "Dead Can Dance" (my CD also includes the EP "Garden of the Arcane Delights")<span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; "> and the live one "Toward the Within" (I also have the accompanying concert video).  I love the 1st one because they use a more standard rock instrumentation than subsequent releases when they go for more accurate period instruments.  Also really like Brendan Perry's solo album "Eye of the Hunter".</span>

Awe you like Toward the Within eh? Yeah. Me too. I have the DVD of that in my box set of theirs.
Anyway, my 3 favourites would have to be The Sepents Egg, In the Realm of a Dying Sun and of course their latest effort Anastasis. Amazing stuff. My all time favourite song By Perry is 'How Fortunate The Man With none.' gets me every time. Lol

I love his voice.  My fave DCD song of his is "American Dreaming" and off his solo album the opener "Saturday's Child".  She's wonderful too...especially with her made up language Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 13:24

I love his voice.  My fave DCD song of his is "American Dreaming" and off his solo album the opener "Saturday's Child".  She's wonderful too...especially with her made up language Wink

Oh Lisa Gerrard can make a grown man cry quite easily. Songs like Compassion, Sevean and Host Of Seraphim are really powerful. Love it. ;)
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 10:26
For me, the best is Klaus Schulze and Brian Eno, especially Evening Star (with Robert Fripp), and Apollo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234