How do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you listen to music in the home?
    Posted: April 25 2014 at 19:56
^Latest addition to the Soild State Man Cave rig: Yamaha YP-D8. One of the best TTs Yamaha sent across the Pacific to the USA.
TOTL circa 1978 and of my 6 vintage TTs, this is the best sounding/playing TT i own! Big smile

Edited by libertycaps - April 25 2014 at 19:58
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 19:53
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 09:11
Originally posted by Finnforest

Wow that arm is a beast!† Looks like a piece of plumbingLOL

Or a babies arm holding a fence needle.
I kneel to the alter of ARCAM.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:30
Wow that arm is a beast!  Looks like a piece of plumbingLOL

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 07:15
Originally posted by Finnforest

Click on the photo to blow it up to very high resolution.....note the cool radio chart on the wall in the background. 

http://www.shorpy.com/node/17310
That's pretty impressive, coming from the age when the average domestic gramophone was still clockwork with an acoustic pick-up. Magnetic pickups that would connect into the "GRAM" input of a radio set were just becoming available but they were very expensive. Most radio sets didn't even have a GRAM input and most of those would not have had an input selector, often you just de-tuned the radio to a blank spot between stations. Only radiograms with combined radio and gramophones had input selector switches.

Judging by the set-up and location I'd guess he was using the portable radio receiver as an amplifier, the microphone would then be part of the radio station studio to broadcast the recordings over the airways. Quite why they didn't simply connect the turntables directly is anyone's guess, but mine would be that the studio engineer didn't want them to.

I have an acoustic pick-up and a tin of needles somewhere in the attic that I acquired in the late 60s, and think I may still have a few 78s too. Back then you could find clockwork/acoustic record-players very easily (and cheaply) in church Bring-and-Buy sales even though electric record-players had been around since the 50s. 

Here is a Thorens wind-up portable turntable from 1932:

If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:27
Originally posted by libertycaps

Got sub?

Nice. What's the wattage on this crazy a****le??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 06:25
^^ it must weight like 8000 lbs. worth it. I'd haul it downstairs into my pad. :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 13:44
That suit and haircut are awesome!!

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:54
Click on the photo to blow it up to very high resolution.....note the cool radio chart on the wall in the background. 

http://www.shorpy.com/node/17310

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 15:47
Got sub?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 00:26
Originally posted by Catcher10

Quick shot of my dynaco MARK III monoblocks. They've beeen running smoothly for me for about 4 years now.
Currently running new production Genalex Gold Lion KT88 outputs. Amazing transparency and presence with CD or LP source. After getting into quality vintage gear, the "source wars" became less and less important to me. Smartest  money i've ever spent on my music hobby. Also feel very blessed to have a large, dedicated space for listening. Doesn't make much sense to "go Audiophile" until you have a proper listening space. Cheers, fellow Prog Rock lovers!

Nice libertycaps!! Have the KT88 burned it completely? I bet those Klipsch sound excellent with the monos......I just bought a new phono preamp for my analog end. The Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, right off the bat it was an incredible upgrade to the low end. The detail is excellent, I am hearing low end detail I had not before even with my CD versions.
Next will be jumping into the MC cartridge arena.......
The Gold Lions seem to have tamed in nicely. I drive my Cornwall II's with the monoblocks, Chorus II's with my Sansui 990DB. The phono stage in my PAS3X has been upgraded with NOS Telefunkens and additional shielding inside. It's about as good as it can be given the design. I'm happy with it anyways. One thing about MC carts as a FYI. They don't work well with tube amplification. Much better marriage with SS. Enjoy your new gear!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:22

Quick shot of my dynaco MARK III monoblocks. They've beeen running smoothly for me for about 4 years now.
Currently running new production Genalex Gold Lion KT88 outputs. Amazing transparency and presence with CD or LP source. After getting into quality vintage gear, the "source wars" became less and less important to me. Smartest  money i've ever spent on my music hobby. Also feel very blessed to have a large, dedicated space for listening. Doesn't make much sense to "go Audiophile" until you have a proper listening space. Cheers, fellow Prog Rock lovers!

Nice libertycaps!! Have the KT88 burned it completely? I bet those Klipsch sound excellent with the monos......I just bought a new phono preamp for my analog end. The Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, right off the bat it was an incredible upgrade to the low end. The detail is excellent, I am hearing low end detail I had not before even with my CD versions.
Next will be jumping into the MC cartridge arena.......

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 20:37
I don't have a real fancy set up.I have a fairly decent Kenwood stereo system i bought at the Afees on Ft.Lewis while i was in the Army stationed there in the late 80's,sony 5 disc CD player,Technic's SL-D30 turntable & DBX 5 way speakers.The speakers might be the best thing i have.Seems i read somewhere that these are highly sought after now and maybe collectible.I can attest they sound great even with my so so stereo system.Since i live in a rural setting with no close neighbors i can play music as loud as like.Since i've got older i don't play it super loud anymore.On occasion i will make the place vibrate & rattle though.I never was much of a headphone fan.

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - March 16 2014 at 20:41
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 17:43

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 17:38
Mostly from the PC.  It has surround capability but I prefer to listen to surround in the living room, which irritates my wife to no end. LOL
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote clarkpegasus4001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by smartpatrol

I listen to most of my music on my PC, which has some very nice, little speakers. Sometimes I'll use a little boom box.

Same here! Smile
Tony C.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 16:25
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote libertycaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 16:13

Latest addition to my two Main/"Man Cave" systems on the right: Klipsch Chorus II's with Bob Crites upgraded networks. These speakers can handle anything i throw at them. They love to be pushed. And i push 'em with ~125watts per of quality vintage Sansui 990DB juice! :)

Edited by libertycaps - March 14 2014 at 16:35
StaaViinsZ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote StaaViinsZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:45
While Smoking Magnetic Cassette Tape of the respective album I'm listening to in a pipe.
If the album was never released on cassette, occasionally I melt a CD into a roll and smoke it instead.

Really, as long as you're smoking something, pah, who cares.

Plus, if it's on Vinyl, you can always have a quick snack.

"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by progbethyname

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu

Got some sexy Bose headphones for Christmas. Definitely going to be using them a lot. 

When I'm at school and whatnot I just bring my Sony headphones. Less worried of them being broken or stolen.

Cool. You get the $400 noise canceling ones?
Pfft. Noise cancelling. Just turn 'em up. Wink
"I say, play your own way. Donít play what the public wants. You play what you want and let the public pick up on what youíre doing, even if it does take them fifteen, twenty years." -Thelonious Monk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>