Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 15:23
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Geesh....everyone is so...technical , when it comes to this.  LOL

I have a dedicated stereo room and I have my old classic system from about 30 years ago :
Onkyo turntable, Ortofon cartridge, Onkyo receiver/amp, Sony cd player....2 classic Advent speakers and two custom made Nubian speakers ( from Indiana University -40 years old now...) and it all still works fine.
I have wanted to upgrade things especially the speakers for many years but it all still sounds ok....so why bother?

Mostly listen to music these days on Shure headphones (srh440) thru the laptop or in my car cd player and system on the way to work...std Honda Accord stuff....but it sounds pretty good.

That's all that matters.....listening to music. My system is a hobby, so I allocate funds for this hobby as anyone does with a hobby. There is a lot of cuckoo stuff that goes on in audio, there always has been and there always will be.
I am not saying what Oliver discusses is cuckoo, he states some valid stuff. It really boils down to how deep you get into the audio hobby and trying to pull out as much goodness from your gear, tweaking as we call it. You don't have to spend gobs of money to have a nice sounding system, tweaks can be cheap to free...
I enjoy great sounding audio, but not to the point of over spending, I prefer to find gear that performs over price point, 80% of the way is more than good enough. It's this last 20% that will drive you nuts and cause you to over spend.

Finding an audio store and go listen to new gear and what is out there today will give you a perspective and idea on what you want to add/change/upgrade....or not, you might feel with your current system you are 80% there.
Speakers will always give you the most improvement to sound...I always say you will be surprised as to what is hiding in the grooves of both vinyl and CDs when you make an upgrade.

But above all, have fun listening to music.

Been wanting to upgrade the speakers for many years....just lazy I guess.
There aren't any music stores near me and I'll have to drive into Chicago. Been thinking about Polk and Klipsch speakers. What other ones are decent at a reasonable price?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have a dedicated stereo room and I have my old classic system from about 30 years ago :
Onkyo turntable, Ortofon cartridge, Onkyo receiver/amp, Sony cd player....2 classic Advent speakers and two custom made Nubian speakers ( from Indiana University -40 years old now...) and it all still works fine.
I have wanted to upgrade things especially the speakers for many years but it all still sounds ok....so why bother?

Mostly listen to music these days on Shure headphones (srh440) thru the laptop or in my car cd player and system on the way to work...std Honda Accord stuff....but it sounds pretty good.

That's all that matters.....listening to music. My system is a hobby, so I allocate funds for this hobby as anyone does with a hobby. There is a lot of cuckoo stuff that goes on in audio, there always has been and there always will be.
I am not saying what Oliver discusses is cuckoo, he states some valid stuff. It really boils down to how deep you get into the audio hobby and trying to pull out as much goodness from your gear, tweaking as we call it. You don't have to spend gobs of money to have a nice sounding system, tweaks can be cheap to free...
I enjoy great sounding audio, but not to the point of over spending, I prefer to find gear that performs over price point, 80% of the way is more than good enough. It's this last 20% that will drive you nuts and cause you to over spend.

Finding an audio store and go listen to new gear and what is out there today will give you a perspective and idea on what you want to add/change/upgrade....or not, you might feel with your current system you are 80% there.
Speakers will always give you the most improvement to sound...I always say you will be surprised as to what is hiding in the grooves of both vinyl and CDs when you make an upgrade.

But above all, have fun listening to music.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:07

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 04:48
"I guess I don't get your point..meaning isolate the devices from themselves? If you mean having each component on its own circuit or something like that? Well if so that will never happen."

-->Yes, each box on its circuit, at least to separate the digital from the amplification.

"Of course I have never done any measuring of power to my home, but I have never experienced any issues what so ever with our computers, TVs, lights or sound system, never had drop outs or anything like that....
There is no humming or anything like that going on in my system and my phono cables are well shielded and made for carrying the tiny signal the cartridge outputs, no hum or noise there either from the speakers.

--> I don't have any trouble as well, power optimization is not intended to compensate bad quality power

"and your custom made power strip, I see that is a specific in your system"

--> We can talk about vibration-control as well, that's another specific optimization field.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

It's not the quality of the power delivered at home which is in question (it could be but it's not here as well). The goal of power filtering is rather to isolate the devices from themselves and also from the Inside house ambient pollution (hence cable efficient shielding).

I guess I don't get your point..meaning isolate the devices from themselves? If you mean having each component on its own circuit or something like that? Well if so that will never happen.
I've seen videos of people who run a dedicated power line from the street to their audio room and that gear is the only thing on that power supply.....Expensive and wayyyyy over the top, I'm not looking for recording studio environment LOL.
Of course I have never done any measuring of power to my home, but I have never experienced any issues what so ever with our computers, TVs, lights or sound system, never had drop outs or anything like that....
There is no humming or anything like that going on in my system and my phono cables are well shielded and made for carrying the tiny signal the cartridge outputs, no hum or noise there either from the speakers.

Again thanks for showing us your system and your custom made power strip, I see that is a specific in your system.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 14:38
For a few months I've been listening to music on YouTube and sometimes Bandcamp because I'm specifically looking for new bands and albums.
I have some decent speakers connected to my laptop so the sound is pretty good.
If I decide to take a break from buying albums I'll go back to my turntable and CD player.
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 14:22
My laptop + My hammock + my earphone :D
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 12:08
iPod Classic (120 GB) [16-bit WAV albums] plugged on Aiwa, Digital Audio System (Z-R220).

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 11:06
I rip my CDs and listen to them on a surge-protected computer through these very high fidelity Logitech speakers, and I have a separate surge-protected Philips stereo set for records and cassettes, but if there was a convenient way to combine the two and get rid of one pair of speakers I'd probably do that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 00:49
Ermm
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 00:32
It's not the quality of the power delivered at home which is in question (it could be but it's not here as well). The goal of power filtering is rather to isolate the devices from themselves and also from the Inside house ambient pollution (hence cable efficient shielding).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 17:02

If your power strip includes surge protection, it's bad. Can you give me its reference?

To plug directly on the wall is one thing, good because you avoid powerstrips but it's not like having different power lines directly from the power board (unless your different wallplugs match different lines).

Yes Furutech is a good brand.

The quality homemade powerplug is made like this:

-Get an "industrial" aluminium-bodied powerstrip like this:

-Open it and replace the ordinary cable by, say, a piece of affordable quality power cable (Supra) on which you'll add a quality power socket (from Furutech or Supra). Be sure not to reverse the phase.
You'll end up with a musical powerstrip.

It does not have surge protection, I know about that issue, its only a power strip.....I have good clean power to my home, all underground cables, we do not have power line poles in my neighborhood.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 00:11
If your power strip includes surge protection, it's bad. Can you give me its reference?

To plug directly on the wall is one thing, good because you avoid powerstrips but it's not like having different power lines directly from the power board (unless your different wallplugs match different lines).

Yes Furutech is a good brand.

The quality homemade powerplug is made like this:

-Get an "industrial" aluminium-bodied powerstrip like this:

-Open it and replace the ordinary cable by, say, a piece of affordable quality power cable (Supra) on which you'll add a quality power socket (from Furutech or Supra). Be sure not to reverse the phase.
You'll end up with a musical powerstrip.

Edited by oliverstoned - May 14 2016 at 00:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 18:57

Hello Catcher, you're welcome. With Rodhium, there's a gain in details, precision...but this is not the first thing to do in term of power
optimization.

The royal way is to use separate power lines, the more lines, the best, with thicker cooper section for power amplification. The best is to use one line per device or at least: one for amplification, one for the CD box(es). The improvment in dynamic is really dramatic.

As you can see at this end of my video, the filters are plugged directly to the power board.

Coming back to you, the first thing to do is to check that each device is not out-of-phase (reversed phase). Avoid power strips, even most audiophile ones. Avoid power surge strips by any mean, would ruin your system. Now if you want an excellent and cheap homemade power strip, i can explain how to do.

Then you can invest in quality power cables.

Filtering comes after.

Thanks Oliver.....I do use a power strip by Monster Products, I have to because I only have a 4 prong wall plug and I have more than 4 pcs of gear that need power. The integrated amp, phono preamp and speed box and power strip are connected direct to the wall......The other pcs are in the strip which are the CD player, DAC, Zune Dock, and the reel to reel tape deck.

I am looking at a PSU for the phono stage and upgraded power cords for a few items. Power to my house is pretty clean, I don't experience any noise or spikes that cause me any issues.

I would like to replace the wall plugs with something of better grade maybe from Furutech.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 18:44
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Nice CD rack you have there. Bet they NEVER slide off and hit the floor, and getting that CD on the bottom of the pile in the back row ...a breeze.LOL

Erm yeah...and somewhere under all those piles is a turntable Embarrassed

The CDs in the picture are the recent buys / listens.  Most of the others are filed in boxes like this:

apart from the digipack / digisleeve ones, which are in some drawers.

Ohhh the horror!! My heart weeps for that poor table...Cry

Edited by Catcher10 - May 13 2016 at 18:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 14:14
Hello Catcher, you're welcome. With Rodhium, there's a gain in details, precision...but this is not the first thing to do in term of power
optimization.

The royal way is to use separate power lines, the more lines, the best, with thicker cooper section for power amplification. The best is to use one line per device or at least: one for amplification, one for the CD box(es). The improvment in dynamic is really dramatic.

As you can see at this end of my video, the filters are plugged directly to the power board.

Coming back to you, the first thing to do is to check that each device is not out-of-phase (reversed phase). Avoid power strips, even most audiophile ones. Avoid power surge strips by any mean, would ruin your system. Now if you want an excellent and cheap homemade power strip, i can explain how to do.

Then you can invest in quality power cables.

Filtering comes after.

Edited by oliverstoned - May 13 2016 at 14:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 13:57
Hello Sean!

Not checked by an electrician yet, i admit. You're certainly right about the insurance.

Besides that i'm using these filters for almost 15 years without any problem.

Edited by oliverstoned - May 13 2016 at 13:58
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 13:00
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Nice CD rack you have there. Bet they NEVER slide off and hit the floor, and getting that CD on the bottom of the pile in the back row ...a breeze.LOL

Erm yeah...and somewhere under all those piles is a turntable Embarrassed

The CDs in the picture are the recent buys / listens.  Most of the others are filed in boxes like this:

apart from the digipack / digisleeve ones, which are in some drawers.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 12:50
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Comfy......Clap

Intended so I can close my eyes and just float into musical space Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The music ingestion area.

Edited by JD - May 13 2016 at 11:36
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>