Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
eSpam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:26
I also don't have a big and bulky system, currently i am having Creative 5.1 system and they feel really good and produce good quality of sound.
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 01:04
Gotta reply to this thread.

My current "Main" basement Mancave system in a dedicated 23'x25'x7' listening space:
Amp: dynaco MKIII monoblocks/PAS3X pre (both rebuilt w/mods&upgrades) 
CDP: Oppo BDP-95/Rega Apollo 
TT: Denon DP-47F/cart:Grado Gold1
Loudspeakers: Klipsch Cornwall 2(w/Crites)
Powered subwoofer: Klipsch RSW15

Recent divorce, no kids and a big old 1916 Portland Bungalow has allowed me to go a little crazy in the past 5-6 years with audio. I have 4 separate stereo systems in the house. Yeah, i guess i'm one of those "Audiophiles" now. I did/do try to keep the $pending sane. (Doing your research/cherry pickin' local vintage gear on CL is great for that.) Most of my stuff was had that way. Very rewarding hobby/Money well spent!

dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:01
I listen with my laptop and a great pair of Sony ear buds. They're comfy, unlike some. I have no choice, really. I live in a tiny studio apartment and the walls are paper thin. It was built in 1928!

Sometimes I'll play music through my PC speakers, but the quality cannot compare to the ear buds. That's life and it's okay for me.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:19
To be honest, I've had to scale it down a bit volume wise cause I moved back in with the parents, so I bought a very expensive set of headphones(sennheiser HD800's) and I connect them to my stereo amp. This system allows me to enjoy music quite well considering I cannot blast my music through my 1260watt Bose 10 speaker sound system. I'll have to wait till I move out again to enjoy that pleasure. Oh I miss my Bose, but the Sens are a wicked-awesome tie me over. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I have many different hi-fi setups in different rooms ranging from the acceptable to the quite good. There is no ideal setup and it is simply a matter of preference, cash and how much space you have - I prefer to start with the best speakers I can afford and work backwards. Good speakers (and headphones) connected to a mid-priced amplifier driven from a budget CD player will give good results, the only break in that "rule" is if you are playing vinyl then a mid-priced turntable is essential (Pro-Ject, Rega or Music Hall) - avoid cheap turntables at all costs. The key is to match your hi-fi to the room - small speakers in a big room will sound bad, similarily big speakers in a small room will be difficult to manage, the amplifier power should also be matched to the room size but to a lesser extent - a 30W amp can sound as good as a 100W since neither will be run at full power, but too small and you'll be over driving it, too big and you could damage your speakers. Since the mechanics of CD players are the weakest link in the chain I don't waste money on expensive CD players, the electronics in budget players is the same as in mid-priced ones, all you are paying for is the name and slightly better build quality - I actually use a £30 DVD player (without the TV connected) having spent £100s on mid-price and expensive transports from the likes of NAD, Cambridge Audio, Micromega and Arcam over the years that fail after 18 months heavy usage.

I have no problem with digital music so streaming is worth looking at, I connect my Archos tablet to the living room hi-fi wirelessly and stream music from my PC, I'm also working on constructing a Raspberry Pi media player to do the same thing.

Wonderful, detailed answer sir Dean! Also you are absolutely right about cd players where by you are paying more for the build than anything else. Just by one that has a "line out" connection port and you are good to go. Sound quality is irrelevant cause your hooking that cd player up to another unit where volume controls and other sound features are utilized elsewhere and not through the disc player. :) good call!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:42
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

<FONT size=2 face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Gotta reply to this thread.

My current "Main" basement Mancave system in a dedicated 23'x25'x7' listening space:

Amp: dynaco MKIII monoblocks/PAS3X pre (both rebuilt w/mods&upgrades) 

CDP: Oppo BDP-95/Rega Apollo 

TT: Denon DP-47F/cart:Grado Gold1

Loudspeakers: Klipsch Cornwall 2(w/Crites)

Powered subwoofer: Klipsch RSW15

Recent divorce, no kids and a big old 1916 Portland Bungalow has allowed me to go a little crazy in the past 5-6 years with audio. I have 4 separate stereo systems in the house. Yeah, i guess i'm one of those "Audiophiles" now. I did/do try to keep the $pending sane. (Doing your research/cherry pickin' local vintage gear on CL is great for that.) Most of my stuff was had that way. Very rewarding hobby/Money well spent!

f**king Awesome!!!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 16:32
I don't think I've put in my thoughts on this yet, so here goes.

Audiophiles may turn up their noses at this, but if I were on a tight budget and had a computer with a 5.1 surround sound card, I'd get any of your basic off the shelf 5.1 speakers with a bass unit.  You really want to be able to enjoy surround sound these days. 

My, uh, mancave LOL btw is actually a mancarport.  My wife hates it when I crank it up and I love to crank it up.  The carport is enclosed and connected to the house.  We've got surround in the living room and bedroom but again, the whole crank it up thing.  I also have all my musical instruments set up in here.  Yeehaw! Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 20:11
My PC's integrated speakers, they work good but the sound doesn't get loud enough a lot of time. When I want to get loud and better quality I put on some headphones.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 12:02

Current 24'x12'x9' livingroom set up:

Amp: Sansui QRX-6500
CDP: Nakamichi CD Player 4
TT: Denon DP-47F: Denon DL-110 MC cart
Speakers: Advent 5012/Large Advent (stacked)
Polk Audio PSW10 10" powered subwoofer

Now Playing: Mahogany Rush-IV Approve

I have the speakers stacked on top of my entertainment center cabinet with the woofers at ear level.
The higher ceilings and speaker placement do make a difference! 
All gear had at very good value via local CL except the TT cart & sub.

Edited by libertycaps - April 25 2013 at 12:07
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 14:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't think I've put in my thoughts on this yet, so here goes.

Audiophiles may turn up their noses at this, but if I were on a tight budget and had a computer with a 5.1 surround sound card, I'd get any of your basic off the shelf 5.1 speakers with a bass unit.  You really want to be able to enjoy surround sound these days. 

My, uh, mancave LOL btw is actually a mancarport.  My wife hates it when I crank it up and I love to crank it up.  The carport is enclosed and connected to the house.  We've got surround in the living room and bedroom but again, the whole crank it up thing.  I also have all my musical instruments set up in here.  Yeehaw! Big smile

"Audiophile - A person having an ardent interest in stereo or high-fidelity sound reproduction"

I think we all have this interest....we are music lovers, so it makes sense that we are all audiophiles.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 16:20
Certainly Catcher, but words can have multiple definitions. 

In my case I was referring to people that blow lots of money on expensive equipment thinking that they are somehow having a superior listening experience for having done so. LOL  The term vested interest comes to mind.

But to what brodieshenton had said, you can have a great listening experience with an inexpensive set of computer speakers.  That crap that comes included with a lot of computer systems and integrated speakers being the definite exception.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 26 2013 at 16:24
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 17:05
I call them audiophilists to avoid confusion, that way I can be as rude as I like about litz wire and sound absorbing wallpaper (at $1000000000 a roll) and not upset any true audiophiles that may be reading.

Approve
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 20:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't think I've put in my thoughts on this yet, so here goes.Audiophiles may turn up their noses at this, but if I were on a tight budget and had a computer with a 5.1 surround sound card, I'd get any of your basic off the shelf 5.1 speakers with a bass unit.  You really want to be able to enjoy surround sound these days.  My, uh, mancave LOL btw is actually a mancarport.  My wife hates it when I crank it up and I love to crank it up.  The carport is enclosed and connected to the house.  We've got surround in the living room and bedroom but again, the whole crank it up thing.  I also have all my musical instruments set up in here.  Yeehaw! Big smile

"Audiophile - A person having an ardent interest in stereo or
high-fidelity sound reproduction"

I think we all have this interest....we are music lovers, so it makes sense that we are all audiophiles.

I sure the hell am. God I've spent so much coin on sound equipment, but it's so incredibly worth it. :) You have to really hear the music to fully understand and appreciate it. :)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 21:47
Absolutely no regrets diving head first into audio. I spent 6 months lurking at http://www.audiokarma.org first before buying my first vintage "audiophile" int. amp off local CL: A Sansui 990DB (The rare black faced Euro version of the 9090DB.) Still have it. It drives my Mancave Solid State rig. FFW 5-6 years and i've sunk around $10K into the hobby.

Love your music!
Love your gear!
Win/Win. Smile

Edited by libertycaps - April 26 2013 at 21:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 23:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I don't think I've put in my thoughts on this yet, so here goes.Audiophiles may turn up their noses at this, but if I were on a tight budget and had a computer with a 5.1 surround sound card, I'd get any of your basic off the shelf 5.1 speakers with a bass unit.  You really want to be able to enjoy surround sound these days.  My, uh, mancave LOL btw is actually a mancarport.  My wife hates it when I crank it up and I love to crank it up.  The carport is enclosed and connected to the house.  We've got surround in the living room and bedroom but again, the whole crank it up thing.  I also have all my musical instruments set up in here.  Yeehaw! Big smile

I sure the hell am. God I've spent so much coin on sound equipment, but it's so incredibly worth it. :) You have to really hear the music to fully understand and appreciate it. :)

Absolutely worth looking into higher end gear to fully enjoy your music...I agree. But its a choice people have to make as far as how much and what you buy. You can spend triple the money if you jump into all the tweaking scenarios, like wallpaper (weird) or super duper high end cables or blocks of wood to keep your cables off the ground that "improves resolution and clarity"...huh?
Similar to a friend at work that buys several versions of albums like the CD, SACD, DVD-A and 5.1..the music is the same. Give me a redbook standard CD or better yet a vinyl version and I am a happy camper enjoying a fantastic listening session without 4 different versions..... 
But that is just me....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 00:35

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Absolutely worth looking into higher end gear to fully enjoy your music...I agree. But its a choice people have to make as far as how much and what you buy. You can spend triple the money if you jump into all the tweaking scenarios, like wallpaper (weird) or super duper high end cables or blocks of wood to keep your cables off the ground that "improves resolution and clarity"...huh?
Similar to a friend at work that buys several versions of albums like the CD, SACD, DVD-A and 5.1..the music is the same. Give me a redbook standard CD or better yet a vinyl version and I am a happy camper enjoying a fantastic listening session without 4 different versions..... 
But that is just me....

Right you are, but it's incredible the difference in quality out there. You really have to take it upon yourself to explore and of course hear equipment before you buy it! That's the best buying power you can have. Also, I'd really like to see if that sound proofing wall paper works!! My god, that seems like a stretch. Watch it be 10 feet thick lol. Also, you are right about 5.1 24bit/96khz being the same as an SACD. It's just british sound formatting for North American dts/Dolby 5.1. It's all the same. I've tested it. Your right. And it is soooooo easy to get ripped off with sound cables. So much flowery language to describe them. I say, 'yeah be very careful buying your audio cables.' especially for headphone to amp connection. :)
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 01:31
I'll never drink the boutique interconnect Kool-Aid either. Good quality is good enough. I'd have to look to tell you what brand(s) they are as it's been so long. I did buy them at a local audio resale shop, mind.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 21:31
I have a pair of nice speakers in my music room with my CD player (A Walkman, actually, since my disc changer died) and turntable. But I am not always there and listen from my Bose headphones sometimes, or even straight from the laptop speakers when my wife and I are playing minecraft together. The music all moves me the same, as long as I can hear it well enough to tell what's going on, but the speakers in the music room certainly feel nicest on the ears and have the most oomph for a loud, detailed listen.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 00:34
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/8161/music_smells_funny.JPG

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 19:40
For any audio nuts here curious, this is my current Solid State Man Cave set-up:
Amp: Sansui 990DB
EQ/Dynamic Range Expander: dbx 3BX III (with by-pass)
CDP: Kyocera DA-310cx
TT1: Yamaha YP-D4: Nagaoka JT-555 cart
TT2: Pioneer PL-530: AT120e cart
Speakers: dahlquist DQ-10's
Powered sub: Klipsch RSW15 (line in is very easy to swap for both systems)

All systems are subject to change/bullpen swaps.
Current items in the bullpen:
THE FISHER 800-C (vintage tube amp)
Marantz 2230 (vintage SS amp)
Rega Apollo (CDP) it's got "issues"
Magnavox CDB 471 (CDP)
dbx 3BX (Dynamic Range Expander)

Music. Audio. Thumbs Up

Forgot to mention all current SS gear found via local CL or ebay save the new TT carts.
Didn't pay over the odds for any.

Edited by libertycaps - May 04 2013 at 20:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>