Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 19:33
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

i really have a hard time listening to prog albums on the first go, and i don't want to listen to it like 2-3 times straight the get the idea right? another reason is because im 14 and i can't listen to this stuff due to the crappy hip hop other kids are playin ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!! so basically, MY DAMN EARS prefer that crap over this, which sucks like f**k.

Ah yes, the challenge of being a teenage prog fan!  When I got into prog at age 15 everyone around me was blasting Peter Frampton from 8-track tape players...gag!  Don't despair Michael, keep that prog flame alive in your head and your ears will lead you to the promised land.  <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Keep fighting that good prog fight </span>Wink

A challenge indeed! I'm 32 and I still get made fun off for adoring my Prog, especially by my friends. A lot of them don't understand how with Prog, you have to be patient and keep an open mind. If I try and share a song with most people I know, they get pretty alarmed when they hear that a song is over 10min...sadly.

Anyway. Micheal and King you are not alone.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 23:30

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

i really have a hard time listening to prog albums on the first go, and i don't want to listen to it like 2-3 times straight the get the idea right? another reason is because im 14 and i can't listen to this stuff due to the crappy hip hop other kids are playin ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!! so basically, MY DAMN EARS prefer that crap over this, which sucks like f**k.

Ah yes, the challenge of being a teenage prog fan!  When I got into prog at age 15 everyone around me was blasting Peter Frampton from 8-track tape players...gag!  Don't despair Michael, keep that prog flame alive in your head and your ears will lead you to the promised land.  Keep fighting that good prog fight Wink

thx for the encouragement dude!

Handshake
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 17:51
Listen to a lot of my cd's in my car on the road...decent factory system in my Honda Accord.
Litsen to others on full size Shure headphones via the laptop and I still have my old bookshelf stereo system from the late 70's/early 80's and it still sounds pretty good.

Been meaning to pick up new speakers and a new amp/tuner but I'm really lazy and cheap these days.
Embarrassed
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 03:35
Stock systems in both trucks/SUVs.
Old as Bejesus stereo in the house.
Retro-styled turntable in the front room.
Lots of new-gen electronic devices with headphones that work really well.
I prefer a bullroarer, though. The bass is just incredible. Wink
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 17:33
Through headphones. I make sure I'm not disturbed Wink

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - November 20 2013 at 17:36
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 18:59
When I'm at my computer I have several ways I listen to music. CDs on a boombox, cassettes through a Walkman connected to mini speakers, MP3s or streaming radio through computer. I'd like to get better computer speakers eventually.

My nicer set up in another room is a vintage Scott turntable, Sony dual cassette deck, Walkman CD player connected to a Teac receiver with Baby Advent II speakers. I can also plug in a thumb drive on the receiver to play song files or plug in an ipod (which I don't have). I recently bought the receiver to replace a vintage Sherwood that I really still love, but has issues I can't fix anymore.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 22:08
Wicked wicked loud lately.

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 22:17
Upstairs bedroom= Bang and Olufsen Beomaster 2400, a spectacular B&O stereo system from the late 70s. 
Basement= PC laptop fed with Logitech  z 523 speakers , pretty decent sound actually.  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2013 at 15:17
Have my PC connected via an external DAC to an old Technics Power Amp for things on my harddrive. But mostly listen to vinyl or CD's on my main hi-fi seperates system. In the car my classic ipod plugs directly into the car stereo and I have all my tunes ripped to Apple Lossless.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 09:45
Got some sexy Bose headphones for Christmas. Definitely going to be using them a lot. 
When I'm at school and whatnot I just bring my Sony headphones. Less worried of them being broken or stolen.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 15:02
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Got some sexy Bose headphones for Christmas. Definitely going to be using them a lot. 

When I'm at school and whatnot I just bring my Sony headphones. Less worried of them being broken or stolen.

Cool. You get the $400 noise canceling ones?
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Cool. You get the $400 noise canceling ones?
Pfft. Noise cancelling. Just turn 'em up. Wink
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
StaaViinsZ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:45
While Smoking Magnetic Cassette Tape of the respective album I'm listening to in a pipe.
If the album was never released on cassette, occasionally I melt a CD into a roll and smoke it instead.

Really, as long as you're smoking something, pah, who cares.

Plus, if it's on Vinyl, you can always have a quick snack.

"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 16:13

Latest addition to my two Main/"Man Cave" systems on the right: Klipsch Chorus II's with Bob Crites upgraded networks. These speakers can handle anything i throw at them. They love to be pushed. And i push 'em with ~125watts per of quality vintage Sansui 990DB juice! :)

Edited by libertycaps - March 14 2014 at 16:35
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 16:25
Quick shot of my dynaco MARK III monoblocks. They've beeen running smoothly for me for about 4 years now.
Currently running new production Genalex Gold Lion KT88 outputs. Amazing transparency and presence with CD or LP source. After getting into quality vintage gear, the "source wars" became less and less important to me. Smartest  money i've ever spent on my music hobby. Also feel very blessed to have a large, dedicated space for listening. Doesn't make much sense to "go Audiophile" until you have a proper listening space. Cheers, fellow Prog Rock lovers!
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 15:52
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I listen to most of my music on my PC, which has some very nice, little speakers. Sometimes I'll use a little boom box.

Same here! Smile
Tony C.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 17:38
Mostly from the PC.  It has surround capability but I prefer to listen to surround in the living room, which irritates my wife to no end. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 17:43

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 20:37
I don't have a real fancy set up.I have a fairly decent Kenwood stereo system i bought at the Afees on Ft.Lewis while i was in the Army stationed there in the late 80's,sony 5 disc CD player,Technic's SL-D30 turntable & DBX 5 way speakers.The speakers might be the best thing i have.Seems i read somewhere that these are highly sought after now and maybe collectible.I can attest they sound great even with my so so stereo system.Since i live in a rural setting with no close neighbors i can play music as loud as like.Since i've got older i don't play it super loud anymore.On occasion i will make the place vibrate & rattle though.I never was much of a headphone fan.

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - March 16 2014 at 20:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 22:22
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

Quick shot of my dynaco MARK III monoblocks. They've beeen running smoothly for me for about 4 years now.
Currently running new production Genalex Gold Lion KT88 outputs. Amazing transparency and presence with CD or LP source. After getting into quality vintage gear, the "source wars" became less and less important to me. Smartest  money i've ever spent on my music hobby. Also feel very blessed to have a large, dedicated space for listening. Doesn't make much sense to "go Audiophile" until you have a proper listening space. Cheers, fellow Prog Rock lovers!

Nice libertycaps!! Have the KT88 burned it completely? I bet those Klipsch sound excellent with the monos......I just bought a new phono preamp for my analog end. The Musical Surroundings Phonomena II, right off the bat it was an incredible upgrade to the low end. The detail is excellent, I am hearing low end detail I had not before even with my CD versions.
Next will be jumping into the MC cartridge arena.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>