Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:58
^ well a (wealthy) man anyway.
What?
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 18:10
Pioneer CD setup + AKG headphones, currently. Also, as an alternative to CDs, I favour lossless formats. The most favourable lossless format for me would be FLAC
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
dragonflight View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 09:49
A&R Cambridge A60 amp + A&R Cambridge ARCAM One speakers. All bought 30 years ago and still sounding beautifully smooth. Mission PCM CD player packed in a view years ago and haven't got around to fixing it. Currently using a 12 year old Sony DVD player.

Have recently gone digital using a Raspberry Pi B+ hooked up to the above amp (still waiting for a dedicated DAC for the Pi). Runs Music Player Daemon controlled from my Android tablet and pulls in music from my server which lives out in my workshop. This has revolutionised the way I listen to music and I'm rediscovering stuff I haven't listened for ages.

Next project is to replace the amp with a home built GainClone. That's one for the cold winter months.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:14
Originally posted by dragonflight dragonflight wrote:

A&R Cambridge A60 amp + A&R Cambridge ARCAM One speakers. All bought 30 years ago and still sounding beautifully smooth. Mission PCM CD player packed in a view years ago and haven't got around to fixing it. Currently using a 12 year old Sony DVD player.

Have recently gone digital using a Raspberry Pi B+ hooked up to the above amp (still waiting for a dedicated DAC for the Pi). Runs Music Player Daemon controlled from my Android tablet and pulls in music from my server which lives out in my workshop. This has revolutionised the way I listen to music and I'm rediscovering stuff I haven't listened for ages.

Next project is to replace the amp with a home built GainClone. That's one for the cold winter months.
A fellow Pi-man!Big smile Welcome! 

I plugged a Behringer UCA222 DAC into my Pi ... Instant external DAC for less than £30 and uses the same electronics as almost all the other medium to low priced External DACs on the market costing quite a lot more. I currently use RuneAudio but it doesn't recognise USB CD drives, which is inconvenient.

I don't know whether the GainClone would be an improvement on your A60, I believe the later model Cambridge amps used the same NatSemi power opamp, but that probably not the point of building your own. You'll have to keep us updated on how you get on if you do build it.
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 14:17
More on an outward level now because I bought some broadway acoustic wall panels and placed them intricately all over my 13X13 living room. I suffered from hardcore flutter echo and excessive ringing due to the 'hollow nature' found in my living room. The increase in stereo imaging and bass control is huge. This is one of the best soud upgrades I've ever done. Now I can crank my music very loudly and it will sound as clear as a bell.

Thank you prime acoustics!!! :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

A fellow Pi-man!Big smile Welcome! 

I plugged a Behringer UCA222 DAC into my Pi ... Instant external DAC for less than £30 and uses the same electronics as almost all the other medium to low priced External DACs on the market costing quite a lot more. I currently use RuneAudio but it doesn't recognise USB CD drives, which is inconvenient.

I don't know whether the GainClone would be an improvement on your A60, I believe the later model Cambridge amps used the same NatSemi power opamp, but that probably not the point of building your own. You'll have to keep us updated on how you get on if you do build it.

I've never used a USB DAC - I've read so many negative reports about them. Actually, the audio on the Pi B+ is much improved and is perfectly enjoyable through my existing system as it is. The bass isn't as tight as I'd like but not off-putting. I've got my eye on a Pi DAC from iqaudio.com. The one for the Pi B+ is due out any moment now so hopefully that'll sort the bass out.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 23:11
I've spent the past couple weeks getting my system all set up and upgraded.
New speakers last week:

Put a new cartridge in my turntable today:

Extremely happy with the results.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 16:07
Originally posted by dragonflight dragonflight wrote:

I've never used a USB DAC - I've read so many negative reports about them. Actually, the audio on the Pi B+ is much improved and is perfectly enjoyable through my existing system as it is. The bass isn't as tight as I'd like but not off-putting. I've got my eye on a Pi DAC from iqaudio.com. The one for the Pi B+ is due out any moment now so hopefully that'll sort the bass out.

The Pi DAC from IQaudio arrived today and it sounds crystal clear. I've read elsewhere on the net that it needs some time to 'burn in' so that's even more encouraging as I'm delighted with what I've heard so far.

I just need to get my gainclone organised now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I've spent the past couple weeks getting my system all set up and upgraded.New speakers last week:Put a new cartridge in my turntable today:Extremely happy with the results.

Nice!!
Look into the Planar2 upgrade kits, specifically the platter upgrade to thick acrylic....Problem is you will then want to upgrade that Ortofon Red...

Save all your coins and pick up those pennies on the ground!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 09:51

Put a new cartridge in my turntable today:

Extremely happy with the results.

What cartridge(s) had you used before this Ortofon? And how do they compare? 

And now, since people have been vigorously posting the pix of their music gear, I'll just go wtih the flow.  Here is my good faith recommendation for your bedroom (especially if you are an aging male with miserly budget who likes the color red and analog sound carriers, )

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 11:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Nice!!
Look into the Planar2 upgrade kits, specifically the platter upgrade to thick acrylic....Problem is you will then want to upgrade that Ortofon Red...

Save all your coins and pick up those pennies on the ground!

I'm not planning on upgrading the platter, it's too much of a step away from the Rega aesthetic.  I will however definitely go for an aluminum subplatter.

Already done the white band, that one was kind of a no-brainer.

Also the nice thing about the Ortofon Red is that I only need to swap the stylus to upgrade to a Blue

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

What cartridge(s) had you used before this Ortofon? And how do they compare?

It had an Audio-Technica AT91 I think, and it's hard to say because the stylus was in terrible shape (I got the turntable used not too long ago)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - September 27 2014 at 11:58
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 20:00
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Put a new cartridge in my turntable today:Extremely happy with the results.

What cartridge(s) had you used before this Ortofon? And how do they compare? And now, since people have been vigorously posting the pix of their music gear, I'll just go wtih the flow.  Here is my good faith recommendation for your bedroom (especially if you are an aging male with <span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">miserly budget who likes</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> the color red and analog sound carriers, )</span>

Nice Argonaught...Is that a Teac R2R? if so which model? I have a Teac X-2000R and really enjoy its performance....

Where have others posted their systems? Guess I'll have to go back and look...I might post a few pics of mine.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 23:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

.Is that a Teac R2R? if so which model? I have a Teac X-2000R and really enjoy its performance.... 

If I had an X-2000R, I'd be a very happy individual.  

The R2R would be a Sansui SD 3030, coeval with LTIA and DSOTM Ouch. I want to say that it's the first recorder (that I know of) that had electronic transport controls, but I am not sure. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 23:21
^ Nice!!...I believe that is a 4-track deck

Here is my Teac

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 16:51
My humble analog system Embarrassed

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

My humble analog system Embarrassed

Super nice!! Elevate the speakers a little and spread them maybe 1.2m to 1.8m apart to better the soundstage, if you can. You will be amazed at what experimenting with speaker placement will do.

Cheers~!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 18:10
Ermm Judging by the direction the speaker cables run, I suspect he moved them for the photo Wink

I used to have a pair of those old Pioneers, I think I paid something like £50 for them back in the early 80s, maybe around 1981 or 82.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 18:19
Thanks for the advice, I'll see how that goes Thumbs Up
I usually listen through my headphones because my system is almost all the furniture in a quite spacious room (it's that and my couch LOL), so the sound through the speakers sounds very echoey.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 18:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm Judging by the direction the speaker cables run, I suspect he moved them for the photo Wink

I didn't move them: the cable on the right is the power cable and the one on the left is a ethernet cable from the access point Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 18:45
Embarrassed oops, my bad, I naturally assumed you'd have them further apart, I miss-identified the cable.

José is correct - they will sound less "chesty" if you raise them off the floor and the stereo image improve if you move them further apart, also tilting them back a little can sometimes make a big difference too.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>