Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Thanks for checking it Thumbs Up

I asked this to know what cartridge I should get if something appened to it or if I couldn't find other stylus to replace. In that case, if I understand correctly, I should get a light-weighted P-mount cartridge (since there's no counter weight), right?

I listened to The Yes Album yesterday to test the changes I made and the sound was incredible compared to how it was: no crackles, no noises and it all sounded crystal clear. I still have a problem I don't know what it is: sometimes between two songs I can hear an echo of the first song and I don't know if it's a problem of the record or the turntable Ermm

This is common, I am guessing what you hear is a faint sound of the start of the next song? What you hear is the true essence of analog recording LOL Usually comes from the tape bleed thru on the master reels, it is pressed in your LP you cannot remove it. The good thing is if you hear it well it is one sign of a good revealing analog deck, especially if the next song starts with a loud crescendo or something. Can also be due to thinner groove walls and your stylus is picking up the ripples in the next groove......I would say nothing is wrong with your table and cart.

The no crackles, noise, crystal clear means your arm/cart is well aligned and tracking the groove nicely. For a new stylus you can also upgrade to a JICO stylus from Japan, you will have to check their website if they make one for your cart.

Have fun and keep spinnin' them records!

Cheers!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 17:32

I asked this to know what cartridge I should get if something appened to it or if I couldn't find other stylus to replace. In that case, if I understand correctly, I should get a light-weighted P-mount cartridge (since there's no counter weight), right?

I can hear an echo of the first song and I don't know if it's a problem of the record or the turntable Ermm

I addition to what Catcher10 said: 

Eventually, you'll need a new needle (stylus) even if nothing dramatic happens to the one you have; most of them have to be replaced after 500 hours of playing time; some are said to last for 1,000 hours or longer. 

There aren't too many p-mount cartridges on the market, and, since your turntable doesn't have any adjustments, your choice is even more limited. Depending on your budget, you may want to consider investing into a turntable that has with a regular 1/2" mount  and an adjustable counter-weight. This way you'd be able to select cartridges to please your taste and suit your budget, not only based on the "will it fit into my p-mount and is it light enough?" criteria. I have seen hundreds of $100-$200 turntables on eBay that looked pretty good and were advertised as fully functional. 

The echo: This phenomenon is also described here under "Shortcomings", towards the end of the article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 18:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is common, I am guessing what you hear is a faint sound of the start of the next song? What you hear is the true essence of analog recording LOL Usually comes from the tape bleed thru on the master reels, it is pressed in your LP you cannot remove it. The good thing is if you hear it well it is one sign of a good revealing analog deck, especially if the next song starts with a loud crescendo or something. Can also be due to thinner groove walls and your stylus is picking up the ripples in the next groove......I would say nothing is wrong with your table and cart.

The no crackles, noise, crystal clear means your arm/cart is well aligned and tracking the groove nicely. For a new stylus you can also upgrade to a JICO stylus from Japan, you will have to check their website if they make one for your cart.

Have fun and keep spinnin' them records!

Cheers!

I found some stylus on the website that are compatible with my cartridge Smile

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I addition to what Catcher10 said: 

Eventually, you'll need a new needle (stylus) even if nothing dramatic happens to the one you have; most of them have to be replaced after 500 hours of playing time; some are said to last for 1,000 hours or longer. 

There aren't too many p-mount cartridges on the market, and, since your turntable doesn't have any adjustments, your choice is even more limited. Depending on your budget, you may want to consider investing into a turntable that has with a regular 1/2" mount  and an adjustable counter-weight. This way you'd be able to select cartridges to please your taste and suit your budget, not only based on the "will it fit into my p-mount and is it light enough?" criteria. I have seen hundreds of $100-$200 turntables on eBay that looked pretty good and were advertised as fully functional. 

The echo: This phenomenon is also described here under "Shortcomings", towards the end of the article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

You're probably right. I guess I'll make the decision between buying a new TT or a new stylus when the current needle worns out. It's good to know my options before though. Smile

The post-echo describes exactly what's happening. I didn't count the time but it seems like it's accurate.

Thanks everyone for all the great advices! I don't personally know anyone who understands about these things, so this has been very enlightening for me Thumbs Up
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 20:30

Thanks for checking it Thumbs UpI asked this to know what cartridge I should get if something appened to it or if I couldn't find other stylus to replace. In that case, if I understand correctly, I should get a light-weighted P-mount cartridge (since there's no counter weight), right?I listened to The Yes Album yesterday to test the changes I made and the sound was incredible compared to how it was: no crackles, no noises and it all sounded crystal clear. I still have a problem I don't know what it is: sometimes between two songs I can hear an echo of the first song and I don't know if it's a problem of the record or the turntable Ermm

Interesting. Could be the speed at which the record is playing at?
The Stylus is getting too much of a workout and there is a residual or echo decay as you mentioned.
Sounds frustrating.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Thanks for checking it Thumbs UpI asked this to know what cartridge I should get if something appened to it or if I couldn't find other stylus to replace. In that case, if I understand correctly, I should get a light-weighted P-mount cartridge (since there's no counter weight), right?I listened to The Yes Album yesterday to test the changes I made and the sound was incredible compared to how it was: no crackles, no noises and it all sounded crystal clear. I still have a problem I don't know what it is: sometimes between two songs I can hear an echo of the first song and I don't know if it's a problem of the record or the turntable Ermm

Interesting. Could be the speed at which the record is playing at?
The Stylus is getting too much of a workout and there is a residual or echo decay as you mentioned.
Sounds frustrating.

Nope its a common occurrence, one sign his system is revealing and his cart/arm combo is good.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 07:06
I did some tests yesterday by lifting the speakers, moving them apart and tilting them and the sound definitely improved. The stereo effects are really clear and it echoes less. Time to buy some speaker stands Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 07:31
Thumbs Up
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 08:04
^^ good stuff .. just do not drive yourself crazy over these. Many good people have sleepwalked into S.A.D. (Self-inflicted Audiophilia Disorder) .. and it's all downhill from there Tongue 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 08:46
^ I'll try not to LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:50

I did some tests yesterday by lifting the speakers, moving them apart and tilting them and the sound definitely improved. The stereo effects are really clear and it echoes less. Time to buy some speaker stands Wink

Now sit back and enjoy.......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 23:43

^ I'll try not to LOL

I am happy to hear that you are taking a more serious approach to your music listening situation.
Speaker position is very important. Flutter echo is nasty.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 09:08
At home in my music room I usually listen to vinyl but in my bedroom I have a portable CD player to listen to if I feel like stretching out on the bed and relaxing.
Sometimes I like to jam along with the music so I throw a few CDs in the changer so I don't have to stop and flip the album.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 09:36
OK, finally have this sorted.

My modest little setup involves an ASUS chromebox with a dedicated "music OS" called daphile.  All my music is resident on another old desktop computer that now serves as an NFS server (thus mounted on the chromebox as an NFS share) and a subsonic server (so that my wife and I can listen to music in the car, at work, etc.).  The chromebox is connected to the iFi Micro iDSD DAC and headphone amplifier (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/).  iFi is the "baby brand" of AMR, by the way.  Right now my headphones are ATH-M40X (my wife got me them for Christmas because I put them on my Amazon wish list - she didn't know I use the wish list as more of a bookmarking tool than anything, but whatever).  Next Christmas I'll upgrade to Senn 650s.

I control the playback via the iPeng app on my iPhone, but any app suitable for controlling a Logitech Media Server (LMS) would do - the chromebox is running squeezelite I believe.

The sound quality is night and day over anything I've ever owned.  Particularly classical music, the clarity is just superb and I couldn't be happier.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:08

2 receivers in the living room.  one for video and one for audio. (I prefer the 2 speaker system for CDs, phono, and tape.

Portable CD player in the kitchen

surround stereo in the bedroom - plus my computer setup in the bedroom has 5.1 as well.

also a stereo in the basement workshop (amp, tape and CD)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 10:50
An MP3 player in my bedroom as two speakers and is great for listening to my massive CD collection.

As for vinyl I use an Ion Turntable that I can use for both playing the vinyl and converting it to Mp3. Smile
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 14:37
I guess I am the only one on this thread to have a turntable in the bedroom? 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 14:55
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

My modest little setup involves an ASUS chromebox with a dedicated "music OS" called daphile.  All my music is resident on another old desktop computer that now serves as an NFS server (thus mounted on the chromebox as an NFS share) and a subsonic server (so that my wife and I can listen to music in the car, at work, etc.).  The chromebox is connected to the iFi Micro iDSD DAC and headphone amplifier (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/).  iFi is the "baby brand" of AMR, by the way.  Right now my headphones are ATH-M40X (my wife got me them for Christmas because I put them on my Amazon wish list - she didn't know I use the wish list as more of a bookmarking tool than anything, but whatever).  Next Christmas I'll upgrade to Senn 650s.

I control the playback via the iPeng app on my iPhone, but any app suitable for controlling a Logitech Media Server (LMS) would do - the chromebox is running squeezelite I believe.

The sound quality is night and day over anything I've ever owned.  Particularly classical music, the clarity is just superb and I couldn't be happier.

ClapClap Plenty of classical DSD files to download, but as you know they are spendy.....pick and chose wisely my friend!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 15:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

ClapClap Plenty of classical DSD files to download, but as you know they are spendy.....pick and chose wisely my friend!

I've seen some performances in DSD going for $75!  Ouch  No way.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 16:12
^ Ouch!!! No way....yucky foo-foo Thumbs Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 17:34

You talk about night and day sound quality. Wait till you get those 650's you have your eye on and replace them with your current pair. The ATH M40's pale in comparison to the 650's.
now just So ya know your headphone amplifier better support a 300OHM headphone with ease or those 650's will not be brought to the life if you will. Otherwise, your system doesn't sound that modest. Lol.
DSD and DSX files, if supported from your gear sounds pretty nice but as nice as precious analogue warmth. :)

Anyway. Get those SENS. You'll be amazed by the improvement if your gear supports them properly.

Happy listening. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>