Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 17:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Ouch!!! No way....yucky foo-foo Thumbs Down

Seconded.

You know me. Analog warmth reigns over all audio formats. By a large margin as well.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 17:46
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I guess I am the only one on this thread to have a turntable in the bedroom? 

very tempted ... considering my vinyl storage is 1 foot outside the door
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 17:50
Most of my listening these days is in the car. If I listen at home I am usually in the garage where I hook my cell phone up to the old Rotel preamp powered by a Carver TFM -15cb.  I found a killer (for the price) Infinity 2.1 powered sub stereo set for $20 at a thrift store. Sounds great!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 08:29
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

OK, finally have this sorted.

My modest little setup involves an ASUS chromebox with a dedicated "music OS" called daphile.  All my music is resident on another old desktop computer that now serves as an NFS server (thus mounted on the chromebox as an NFS share) and a subsonic server (so that my wife and I can listen to music in the car, at work, etc.).  The chromebox is connected to the iFi Micro iDSD DAC and headphone amplifier (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/).  iFi is the "baby brand" of AMR, by the way.  Right now my headphones are ATH-M40X (my wife got me them for Christmas because I put them on my Amazon wish list - she didn't know I use the wish list as more of a bookmarking tool than anything, but whatever).  Next Christmas I'll upgrade to Senn 650s.

I control the playback via the iPeng app on my iPhone, but any app suitable for controlling a Logitech Media Server (LMS) would do - the chromebox is running squeezelite I believe.

The sound quality is night and day over anything I've ever owned.  Particularly classical music, the clarity is just superb and I couldn't be happier.

You talk about night and day sound quality. Wait till you get those 650's you have your eye on and replace them with your current pair. The ATH M40's pale in comparison to the 650's.
now just So ya know your headphone amplifier better support a 300OHM headphone with ease or those 650's will not be brought to the life if you will. Otherwise, your system doesn't sound that modest. Lol.
DSD and DSX files, if supported from your gear sounds pretty nice but as nice as precious analogue warmth. :)

Anyway. Get those SENS. You'll be amazed by the improvement if your gear supports them properly.

Happy listening. :)

The headphone amp will have no issues driving the 650s.  Big smile
porcupinemorning View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 13:57
Unfortunately don't have turntable but really want a one, and definitely when I'll end my education and start adult life (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) I'll make a room only for listening to music with walls covered with records awwww. Now I have to satisfy with small hi-fi (a sony cheap model) and car. Well it's nice to ride in the night with some prog on (or lana del rey hue hue hue hue).
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:38

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

OK, finally have this sorted.

My modest little setup involves an ASUS chromebox with a dedicated "music OS" called daphile.  All my music is resident on another old desktop computer that now serves as an NFS server (thus mounted on the chromebox as an NFS share) and a subsonic server (so that my wife and I can listen to music in the car, at work, etc.).  The chromebox is connected to the iFi Micro iDSD DAC and headphone amplifier (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/).  iFi is the "baby brand" of AMR, by the way.  Right now my headphones are ATH-M40X (my wife got me them for Christmas because I put them on my Amazon wish list - she didn't know I use the wish list as more of a bookmarking tool than anything, but whatever).  Next Christmas I'll upgrade to Senn 650s.

I control the playback via the iPeng app on my iPhone, but any app suitable for controlling a Logitech Media Server (LMS) would do - the chromebox is running squeezelite I believe.

The sound quality is night and day over anything I've ever owned.  Particularly classical music, the clarity is just superb and I couldn't be happier.

You talk about night and day sound quality. Wait till you get those 650's you have your eye on and replace them with your current pair. The ATH M40's pale in comparison to the 650's.
now just So ya know your headphone amplifier better support a 300OHM headphone with ease or those 650's will not be brought to the life if you will. Otherwise, your system doesn't sound that modest. Lol.
DSD and DSX files, if supported from your gear sounds pretty nice but as nice as precious analogue warmth. :)

Anyway. Get those SENS. You'll be amazed by the improvement if your gear supports them properly.

Happy listening. :)

The headphone amp will have no issues driving the 650s.  Big smile

In the great words of Monty Burns...."Excellent!!!"

Say. How would you feel about investing into a nice DAC??
Put aside those DSD files and run standard red book bit depth at 16/44.1k through a nice quality DAC.
You think your classical music sings now??
You have something to look forward to.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 09:27
I thought I did invest in a nice DAC.  Wink  The unit has a dual-core Burr-Brown in it.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 17:31

I thought I did invest in a nice DAC.  Wink  The unit has a dual-core Burr-Brown in it.

If that chip is a 1796 than say no more. :)
Looking good capt. Daphile.
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 05:15
Mostly headphones - but I also use Yamaha nearfields for mixing and occasionally for listening. Yamaha CD & Amp with Mission speakers for normal listening.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 07:15
I work from home 2-3 days a week, so I just connect a speaker to the laptop and listen to Spotify. Not the highest of fis admittedly but good enough.
Gaillion1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:31
I actually listen most of the time through my Dynaudio MKII's in my studio 95% of the time.  I also have a great Sonos surround sound that is just awesome!  When traveling I use my Shure SRH840's which I also love (my second pair as I wore the other ones out!)
dragonflight View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 06:50
Well, it's about a year later than I intended but I finally got around to building my 'Gainclone' amplifier, finished it off this week and is currently blaring out 'Brave' as I type.

It's based on the Texas Instruments LM3875 chip and incorporate my Raspberry Pi/IQAudio PiDAC combo. It also has a cheap DAC to bring in optical digital audio from my TV.

The music is crystal clear. Acoustic guitar and piano in particular are sharp and filled with detail. The bass is tight and firmer than my A&R Cambridge A60. I've extremely impressed and there's every chance I'll do another for my office. Then there's the bedroom, the workshop, the....

If you can wield a soldering iron, you can build one of these. Great fun and very rewarding.

Gainclone Amp
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 07:19
11 pages of 'with my ears' of course - I didn't know some folks listen to music in their home with kneecaps, elbows and very sensitive eyes.........
..........or by long-distance teleport travel from other dimensions........
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 06:10
The music ingestion area.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 06:31
^ That's more like it   
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 07:12
Earphones.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by dragonflight dragonflight wrote:

Well, it's about a year later than I intended but I finally got around to building my 'Gainclone' amplifier, finished it off this week and is currently blaring out 'Brave' as I type.

It's based on the Texas Instruments LM3875 chip and incorporate my Raspberry Pi/IQAudio PiDAC combo. It also has a cheap DAC to bring in optical digital audio from my TV.

The music is crystal clear. Acoustic guitar and piano in particular are sharp and filled with detail. The bass is tight and firmer than my A&R Cambridge A60. I've extremely impressed and there's every chance I'll do another for my office. Then there's the bedroom, the workshop, the....

If you can wield a soldering iron, you can build one of these. Great fun and very rewarding.

Gainclone Amp
 Nicely done.Clap
What?
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 04:57

Portable system for garden, outdoor:
Hifiman HM 601 + Headphones Senn HD25 with custom Cardas cable:
An affordable and musical portable setup (no portable amp at the moment).

For the home setup, no change for 10 years, except "minor" (but no so minor) upgrades (rhodium power sockets). Here's a video of the system shoot in my current housing:

https://vimeo.com/166488945

Edited by oliverstoned - May 13 2016 at 05:01
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 10:02
Salut Olivier,

did you get your isolation transfo checked by qualified electricians (for fire insurance reason)

Glad to hear your son is able to give his advice now... Clown
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 10:28
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Portable system for garden, outdoor:
Hifiman HM 601 + Headphones Senn HD25 with custom Cardas cable:
An affordable and musical portable setup (no portable amp at the moment).

For the home setup, no change for 10 years, except "minor" (but no so minor) upgrades (rhodium power sockets). Here's a video of the system shoot in my current housing:

https://vimeo.com/166488945

Thanks for sharing Oliver.......I remember your system description from several years ago. How are you liking the new sockets, can you describe the sonic benefits you are experiencing? That is one area I have not looked into
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>