Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow do you listen to music in the home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:09
Originally posted by libertycaps libertycaps wrote:

Ah! You don't seem like such a Rush fanboy on the other site... ;)

...cause I'm not a "fanboy" LOL Don't have to be a fanboy to know a band is great!! This is a music/artist site, the other is a gear site.
I do post my Rush listens in their appropriate location.
Big smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:53
I use those ear thingies on either side of my head. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 12:57
I have a pair of Grado SR60's. Been thinking about getting a headphone amplifier with an USB DAC but I have no idea of how significant the change in sound quality would be.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 09:48
Originally posted by Polo Polo wrote:

I have a pair of Grado SR60's. Been thinking about getting a headphone amplifier with an USB DAC but I have no idea of how significant the change in sound quality would be.

It all depends on what you have now, if it will be an improvement or not. How do you listen thru the Grado's now?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 10:12
Spending more on a USB DAC and Amp than your headphones cost to make the headphones sound better... okay.... I think you need a better reason.
What?
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 11:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It all depends on what you have now, if it will be an improvement or not. How do you listen thru the Grado's now?

Straight into my computer's audio out.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Spending more on a USB DAC and Amp than your headphones cost to make the headphones sound better... okay.... I think you need a better reason.

Is cost really essentially proportional to quality? The sound of my headphones is significantly better than the $300 Bose headphones I used before.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 11:20

Is cost really essentially proportional to quality? The sound of my headphones is significantly better than the $300 Bose headphones I used before.
No it isn't (and that's something I've stressed many times), but when I made that quip I wasn't aware you were refering to plugging them into a PC output, I assumed you were using them with an an mp3 player at least.
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2013 at 20:47

Hey. Be careful there. The Grado SR60's don't require a lot amperage to run/sound properly or till their fullest.
Those Grado models are less than 100OHM's, so the impedance level is not that high.
If you have a scent stereo system you can listen to them through that just fine. Listen, I've got the sennheiser Hd 800's and they are a whopping 300ohms and I use my stereo amp to listen to them and that does the job big time! It produces more than enough power. I can't put it at the highest Volume cause it's way to freakin loud even ten volume levels below the max. ;)
All in all though, DACS/portable Amps are great if you travel a lot and want to carry that high FI sound with you everywhere you go. Don't overspend!!! It's not worth it. Spend 150$ max, especially for that headphone model you carry. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 01:26

^ Approve

What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 13:06

Thanks for the answer....You can simply get a USB DAC that will improve the sound of your files playing off your laptop. There are headphone amps you can get, but I see some rave reviews for these USB DACs. For example the Dragonfly USB DAC I thinks sells for about US$250 simply plugs into a USB port and you plug the HP into the Dragonfly. It will play all music files from mp3 to full resolution and standard red book 16/44.1, I understand sounds really nice. If you have hi-resolution files like 24/96, apperently is super nice, it will also play 24/192 but will down sample them to 24/96, I don't think that is a problem at all.
You can also plug in powered speakers or direct to a stereo system for better audio sound from your laptop.

I think if you just search for USB DACs you may find other price options....If thru headphones is the only way you listen then it is your decision how and what you spend to make your music sound as best that you can afford.

Becareful...I suspect a DAC like this Dragonfly will make you want to upgrade your Grado's Big smile

Have fun and enjoy!

Edited by Catcher10 - August 14 2013 at 13:09
Mavericks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Office Spam Hong Kong

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2013 at 06:32
I used to listen to music using my laptop, I have plugged a subwoofer system to it and the sound is awesome. 
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 13:54
My Music is predominatly digital going through my PC and output is either my Audio Engine 2 speakers or for quiet I go through Bose headphones. I don't love Bose, but they are noise cancelling, so I can escape the real world nicely. But there are far better headphones out there that are crystal clear. Also, if you have a newer PC look into the Dragonfly to run either your speakers or headphones through, they are supposed to be amazing.  
Deafmoon
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2013 at 17:39

Thanks for the answer....You can simply get a USB DAC that will improve the sound of your files playing off your laptop. There are headphone amps you can get, but I see some rave reviews for these USB DACs. For example the Dragonfly USB DAC I thinks sells for about US$250 simply plugs into a USB port and you plug the HP into the Dragonfly. It will play all music files from mp3 to full resolution and standard red book 16/44.1, I understand sounds really nice. If you have hi-resolution files like 24/96, apperently is super nice, it will also play 24/192 but will down sample them to 24/96, I don't think that is a problem at all.
You can also plug in powered speakers or direct to a stereo system for better audio sound from your laptop.

I think if you just search for USB DACs you may find other price options....If thru headphones is the only way you listen then it is your decision how and what you spend to make your music sound as best that you can afford.

Becareful...I suspect a DAC like this Dragonfly will make you want to upgrade your Grado's Big smile

Have fun and enjoy!

I gotta be honest. I don't hear any difference in audio quality when it comes to digital bitstream formats in 24/96k compared to 24/192k. I really can't. I've done the test through the proper equipment I have and I find nothing...absolutely nothing. No frequency clearance difference, no white or pink noise difference...nothing.
How about man? Do you hear anything difference? ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 17:22
I have a few 24/96 and 24/192 albums and really don't hear much difference either compared to standard redbook CD 16/44.1
I do not buy anymore of those hi-rez albums as they are too expensive.....There are some articles written by engineers and such that claim 96 and 192 are a waste and actually detract from the music.
I myself am perfectly happy with CD redbook
AnonymousLoner View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2013 at 17:31
I have some pretty solid speakers hooked up to my laptop which I usually use to blast music at an excessively loud volume. As if I care about what the neighbors might think.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

~ Plato
theandies View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 14:56

I have some old Electro Voice speakers and a Panasonic amp with a cheap CD player that I use when I'm in my basement.

Lately I've just been using either my computer, tablet or smartphone and listening to MP3's with my Bose Ear buds.  I've converted my whole music collection to MP3's and I used the highest sampling rate possible.  The sampling rate and Bose ear buds make all the difference in the world.  I used some Skull Candy buds but they kept breaking.  I sprung for the Bose ($99) and man what a difference.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 02:46
I listen to my music through a Behringer 100 Watt Power Mixer,2 JBL 2x15 1x1 Horn PA Cabinets,2 Powered Behringer 2 way Digital Studio Monitor Speakers,1 Technics multi disc player & some times I run my laptop through my PA system.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 06:40
i really have a hard time listening to prog albums on the first go, and i don't want to listen to it like 2-3 times straight the get the idea right? another reason is because im 14 and i can't listen to this stuff due to the crappy hip hop other kids are playin ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!! so basically, MY DAMN EARS prefer that crap over this, which sucks like f**k.
Progrockdude
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 16:10
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

i really have a hard time listening to prog albums on the first go, and i don't want to listen to it like 2-3 times straight the get the idea right? another reason is because im 14 and i can't listen to this stuff due to the crappy hip hop other kids are playin ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!! so basically, MY DAMN EARS prefer that crap over this, which sucks like f**k.

Ah yes, the challenge of being a teenage prog fan!  When I got into prog at age 15 everyone around me was blasting Peter Frampton from 8-track tape players...gag!  Don't despair Michael, keep that prog flame alive in your head and your ears will lead you to the promised land.  Keep fighting that good prog fight Wink
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 18:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Ah yes, the challenge of being a teenage prog fan!  When I got into prog at age 15 everyone around me was blasting Peter Frampton from 8-track tape players...gag!  Don't despair Michael, keep that prog flame alive in your head and your ears will lead you to the promised land.  Keep fighting that good prog fight Wink

thx for the encouragement dude!
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>