Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListening through Speakers or Headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listening through Speakers or Headphones?
    Posted: March 11 2013 at 07:10
For me each has its merits, when you do not have volume restrictions loudspeakers can provide a wonderful sense of complete sonic ambient, with a lot of depth and directionality, the sound is truly around you, and you enjoy the sense of freedom of not being hooked to a device.

Headphones on the other hand can reveal details and nuances that may go unnoticed through loudspeakers, and when you want to fully concentrate and get immersed in the music they may be the best choice.

What do you prefer and why?
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 16:00
I don't like headphones, I like to play music out in the open space instead of directed inwards to the brain, it's much more living that way, it's manifested for real, while headphones seems like listening in hiding as if it was forbidden to be played openly. Great music deserves to be played loud out in the open space.

But I agree that details may be experienced with headphones that wasn't as clear when listening with hifi system. I realized this when listening with headphones to a specific organ piece , where I heard rhythmic stuff in the bass register that came out more pronounced with the headphones:
http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xc7TnMlyaA&t=0m28s
Gunnar Idenstam / Cathedral Music / Toccata I

Edited by wilmon91 - March 12 2013 at 16:03
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 16:09

At home 99% thru my speakers. I do have a set of AKG cans that I will use when on the sofa and I want to be upstairs with the family, connected to my ZuneHD 32GB player.

For me HP do not give me the same sonic pleasure that my system speakers do
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 17:21
Depends on the speakers and headphones/earbuds. The weird cone-shaped JBL speakers I have deliver a relatively flat sound compared to the Gumy earbuds I have (the ones with the rubber tips that go deeper into your ears); those earbuds can really emphasize the bass aspect of the music, and it sounds as if there is a bit of acoustics to it. The earbuds I had previously used to provide better dynamics compared to the speakers. The new Gumy earbuds I have are even better than that. That works out especially when I use a special jack that feeds the sound from my amp to the audio unit when I'm about to play.

To sum up, earbuds are the way to go for me as of now (but it really depends on the unit). Can't remember the sound quality of the headphones I used to have, though.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 12 2013 at 17:23
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 18:10
I prefer speakers because you can hear more bass but it really depends on what kind of speakers or headphones you have.
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 19:16

I have a 1983 Technics Stereo Cabinet with 2 tower speakers. It is my pride and joy when it comes to audio equipment, 5 Disc CD Changer, Phonograph, Live EQ With bass booster, A primative Digital LED Tuner, 4 Tape Deck (1 unit), and 2 extra channels, 1 going to my TV for video games and basic television, sometimes I will use my PS3 for music, the other is just a basic headphone connector for My mp3 player, phone, or other compliant device. When I can I use the stereo, otherwise, I use one of my other 3 stereos, If i need to listen in private I use my Senhiser 201s, not the best headphones, but not bad either.

Edited by Astral Traveller - March 12 2013 at 19:17

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
brodieshenton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
eSpam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:29
I usually prefer to listen music on speakers as they don't heart the ears that much as headphones do but while traveling i am left with no other choice to use my headphones only.
bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 01:51
Sometimes headphones are a necessity, especially late at night with kids sleeping.  Speakers and headphones offer a different experience though, so I like to do both.
Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:35
I know that not everyone in my house likes the music I like, so I typically use headphones rather self-consciously.
My parents like a few of my Tull albums, some Tool, Animals as Leaders and Rush, so sometimes I'll play those on the stereo. 
If I'm home alone you can bet I'll be blasting pretty well all of my albums through the speakers.
libertycaps View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 12:53
Just like with headphones, quality materials and design matters with loudspeakers. In most cases, you get what you pay for. I own a lovely pair of 1986 Klipsch Cornwall 2's that have been upgraded with Bob Crites crossovers, new 15" woofers and Titanium tweeters. Midrange horns and drivers are stock. Also have a very musical Klipsch RSW15 subwoofer. There's alot of music down there that so often gets missed! I have a dedicated listening space with minimal volume restrictions, so i naturaly prefer taking an audio sauna with loudspeakers. Yeah, i'm a bass addict and love to feel the music head to toe. I find headphones a bit fatiguing after awhile. And yeah, i know i'm a bit spoiled too.
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
humor4u1959 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 01:33
Headphones are the only way to go!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 12:50
Hi,

I do both, but not lately I will admit.

Generally, you can not get the sonic punch on a lot of music on a headset ... and that is the reason why studio "monitors" are not always a headset AT ALL!

Nowadays, listening to things on a headset is cheap and poor, compared to a CD on a nice stereo set ... where the sonic vibes are always better defined than in a headset that has to simplify the incoming music ... but I think that too many people are listening to mp3's and iTunes stuff, and the quality of that is ridiculous when compared to the real thing out there ... there is just no comparison.

Honestly, my thinking likes to state that you are NOT a progressive person, if you are hearing all this stuff on earphones in your iPoorPod or MP3 player! The full effect in Pink Floyd, or King Crimson, is in the real thing, not in what I call an "assimilation" as to what it is supposed to be, or have been, which the majority of these "remaster" bs is all about, for the cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 13:21

Yep. It's lamentable that now the norm so often is low bitrate mp3s with earbuds.

Seems there's an entire generation that doesn't know the bliss of a good quality source, stereo and awesome speakers! Cry 
dynaco THE FISHER Marantz Sansui Nakamichi Line Magnetic Oppo Yamaha Dynavector Sumiko Grado Denon Pioneer Advent Klipsch/Crites
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 14:51
I do both, it all depends on the setting.   Earbuds are Satan's spawn.  I've got one really good set by Sony.  Every other set I've tried are too tinny.  In this day and age you want to have surround capability, too.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 04 2013 at 14:55
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 17:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I do both, but not lately I will admit.

Generally, you can not get the sonic punch on a lot of music on a headset ... and that is the reason why studio "monitors" are not always a headset AT ALL!

Nowadays, listening to things on a headset is cheap and poor, compared to a CD on a nice stereo set ... where the sonic vibes are always better defined than in a headset that has to simplify the incoming music ... but I think that too many people are listening to mp3's and iTunes stuff, and the quality of that is ridiculous when compared to the real thing out there ... there is just no comparison.

Honestly, my thinking likes to state that you are NOT a progressive person, if you are hearing all this stuff on earphones in your iPoorPod or MP3 player! The full effect in Pink Floyd, or King Crimson, is in the real thing, not in what I call an "assimilation" as to what it is supposed to be, or have been, which the majority of these "remaster" bs is all about, for the cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!
In some ways this is the analog/digital discussion of other threads, about hearing the "real thing", or the vinyl discussions surrounding listening experiences and hearing the "full effect".
You could be viewed as slamming a lot of people on this site who listen to mp3's via laptops and portable music players or youtube.
To not be a part of this "cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!", how should one listen to music? On an expensive stereo system since that would be the opposite of cheap?
Interesting post..
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 11:42
Just bought a pair of 1993 era Oiled Oak Klipsch Chorus II's! Givin' them the refinish treatment and i'll throw new Ti tweets and cross-overs in next week or two. More killer speakers. Been looking for a pair of these for awhile. Stoked!

Edited by libertycaps - May 28 2013 at 12:34
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 00:34
Firstly, I love listening to music both ways by headphones and sound system.
Last couple years my quality ten speaker surround sound system has been in storage cause I had to move back home and I went traveling. Long story short, I went out and bought what I think are the best circumural cans on the planet, which are the SENNHEISER HD800's. I've got a quality stereo amp to compensate for the high impedenece level of the senns, which are a whopping 300ohms! Anyway. I quite enjoy music through headphones, especially with the 800's. It's a nice way to tie me over till I can find a decent full time job, get my own place again in order to once again be able to blast my Bose acoutimass 10.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 01:30
You can't know what you don't know.  Very few people these days understand how classic prog is supposed to be presented.  Modern prog has been created on digital formats and played back on ipods, smartphones and earbuds.  I agree, this is the cheap watered down version of a proper musical experience. 

Some of the older cats here know the lowdown.  Others have either forgot or simply too lazy to care.  I won't name names, but I could.

Most people have something they own that cost them $2000.  If music is really a priority, you'll find a way to get into a proper system.  Vinyl, tube amp, quality cartridge on a deck with good tonearm... high efficiency horn driven speakers. 
If you do that.. then you'll understand why some of the folks around here keep talking about this.

The other issue that one has to discover and realize, is that in the classic prog era... the great bands actually played this stuff.. where as now.. most is simply manipulated after the fact on these silly digital computer programs like pro tools etc. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 02:48
My personal investment on my music over the past 10yrs (let alone the past 30yrs)...has far exceeded the value of my current audio system by double. That's a pretty good ratio in my book, and I bet a large % on this site could also be in this same ratio.....Members of this site buy A LOT of music.

I enjoy my music very much and I am glad I have invested, and continue to invest, in quality audio gear.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 15:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

In some ways this is the analog/digital discussion of other threads, about hearing the "real thing", or the vinyl discussions surrounding listening experiences and hearing the "full effect".
You could be viewed as slamming a lot of people on this site who listen to mp3's via laptops and portable music players or youtube.
To not be a part of this "cheap generation with headsets on their little hand thing!", how should one listen to music? On an expensive stereo system since that would be the opposite of cheap?
Interesting post..

Incorrect!

The "full effect" of the "progressive music" is EXACTLY what made it famous and is still remembered and loved today!

I figured that out 42 years ago, when I realized the difference, when I heard FM radio ... and compared it to the AM radio ... and I knew that the way to go was a nice stereo ... that sounded ALMOST as good as FM radio, or BETTER!

What folks are listening to in the iPod's is nowhere near the quality of FM radio ... and is like the old AM radio days on my iPod with earbuds that cost $75 dollars, and have some bass to them. The iPod or any mp3 player simply does not have the FIDELITY to make the music sound better ... has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DIGITAL OR ANALOG discussion!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>