Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListening through Speakers or Headphones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Usually speakers, whether at home or in the car. Only at times when I can't listen on speakers do I use headphones, but I don't prefer them as they cause pressure on my ears after a while.

And no ear-buds for me, I'd like to retain my hearing into old age.

Same for me, though I already lost a bit of my hearing spectrum, it seems.

There isn't a single ear buds that I've tried that don't sound tinny except for this set of Sony one's I have that were recommended by Consumer Reports, which I have had for years.  They actually have decent bass but not as good as regular headphones.  I think people tend to turn it up too loud to compensate for the tinny and that will certainly lead to hearing loss.  Of course speakers or headphones really isn't an either or proposition for me.  I listen to music anywhere and everywhere so it depends. 

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:40
I prefer loudpseakers...I still have the same ones going on 40 years now (Embarrassed) ... which I listen to in my dedicated music room......prolly need to get an updated pair though they still sound ok;...on the laptop I use a pair of mid-priced Shure headphones that sound very good and you do pick up things missed by speakers in a room but it's just not the same experience as someone mentioned above.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 23:53
I'm back in audio heaven!! Moved into a new home and just set up the 'man cave.' I'm in 5.1 paradise. Couldn't be happier, and if I had to choose what comes first for a listening preference it's definitely through a ten speaker surround/home Theater system. I have very good headphones, but listening to music outwardly either through Dolby pro logic 7 or DTS 5.1 surround is the tops. Nothing beats it for me. New Dream Theater album sounds absolutely incredible in 5.1 surround. It's not just a listening experience, it's an event. :)

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
StaaViinsZ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:33
ILuv Earbuds are the only way to go!
Check out this listing: On EBay
Only 6.88 & FREE SHIPPING!
I own a pair of these, actually 2, and have owned another one, and believe me when I say, I have NEVER found ANY earbuds that are better!!!
Near as good, perhaps, but better? N-O!

Even if some from BOSE are better or just as good-- you can't beat 7 bucks!

You won't be disappointed if you get these and don't already own BOSE earbuds of some sort.

On that note, I like hearing stuff on speakers, but typically, things sound better on my earbuds than they do on my speakers.
Plus, I like to listen to stuff loud, but it's kind of awkward with the rest of your family standing there or trying to sleep in the rest of the house etc.

With earbuds, it sounds great, I can turn it up as loud as I want it, when I want it, and don't have to worry about bothering anybody else, or feeling awkward.

Plus, unless you're a weird dude from the 80s, it just isn't that convenient to bring a giant boombox with you on jogging trips for music-- Plus, I doubt my whole neighborhood wants to hear my vastly outdated selection of 80s Metal, which sometimes may stretch into 2010s Pop.

However, if anyone does want to hear it, give me your home address, and, as long as it's within the continental United States, I will personally bring my Mom's Hello Kitty Boombox and play it as loud as it goes- which isn't that loud, really, which isn't that surprising, considering...

But anyway,  I listen to music both ways frequently, but Earbuds are way more practical for an "Immersive Experience", not to mention just way more versatile in general.
I don't recommend bringing Mom's Hello Kitty on that bus, even if the maximum volume sounds like a built-in safety!

Be funny if you did and you were playing Frank Sinatra at maximum volume, and no one complained except the bus driver, who was a Metal-Head, and then he suddenly reveals the Crazed stereo system he had put in by blasting Symphony X's Serpent's Kiss at 10.

Lol where do I come up with these things, eh?

"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 06:16
^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 14:20
Quote ^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys.

Cool. Tell me when you get them. They are awesome :D
"Let us scream like Tom Mallicoat, and whisper like Geoff Tate, for the difference between the two is nigh."
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:00
The battle between headphones and speakers fans is ancient and probably there is no right answer, You must check Yourself which do You like more... Headphones for sure :D
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:20
Quote Headphones for sure :D

Occasionally, I used to use some cheap good sounding headphones for when I wanted to hang them around my neck and listen to stuff while walking around, but still be able to hear other people.

Earbuds sound better and are cheaper, if you get the right pair, and, they are a lot more private.

Like the time I had headphones around my neck and was in an elevator, and "Call Me Maybe" came on.
Awkward...

Most of the music I listen to I don't mind other people hearing, though.

But for those situations that you might wonder about what other people are thinking when they are hearing it-- earbuds are nice to have the freedom to turn it up as loud as you want.

Edited by StaaViinsZ - March 06 2014 at 15:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I think people tend to turn it up too loud to compensate for the tinny and that will certainly lead to hearing loss.

No, I turn it up loud cause I'm a crazed METAL MANIAC who thinks my phone DOESN'T GO LOUD ENOUGH AS IT IS!
Oh, plus I use 'buds which aren't "tinny" sounding at all!
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by StaaViinsZ StaaViinsZ wrote:

Quote Headphones for sure :D

Occasionally, I used to use some cheap good sounding headphones for when I wanted to hang them around my neck and listen to stuff while walking around, but still be able to hear other people.

Earbuds sound better and are cheaper, if you get the right pair, and, they are a lot more private.

Well, i guess You didn't realy tried right headphones. Because i use my headphones when i want to completely isolate from reality and get some musical LSD ;) There is great diference between cheap headphones and Sennheiser hd 800.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 16:06
Beyerdynamic T5P, amazing closed headphones. And for outside uses, PSB M4U2. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 16:46
Originally posted by Argor Argor wrote:

Well, i guess You didn't realy tried right headphones. Because i use my headphones when i want to completely isolate from reality and get some musical LSD ;) There is great diference between cheap headphones and Sennheiser hd 800.

Well yeah, Headphones can isolate you from the world, just like good noise reduction in-ear earbuds, but lets face it, with good earbuds, they isolate you from the world, and don't bring in any unwanted visitors to your world, no matter how loud you play it.
With headphones? Unless there are some really good headphones that I don't know about, just about any time you have headphones, the rest of the world can TOTALLY tell what you're listening to.
Sure, you may be in your own musical territory, but other people are like "Pfpht... Weirdo".
Plus, Headphones have a tendency to look weird on anybody with hair.
Can you really argue with any of these 2 points?

1. Headphones are more Public than Earbuds
2. Headphones sometimes look weird on people with hair

However, I will admit, even though there are some GREAT earbuds out there-- GREAT headphones provide a lot of depth and clarity that earbuds may not provide. Just remember though-- that Ke$ha track you're listening to in Starbucks -- the 20 year old girl behind you can TOTALLY hear it. Not to mention the weird 65 year old guy that's reading a NEWSPAPER.

So:

Advantages to Good Earbuds:

1. Typically Can Be Played Loud Without Compromising Privacy
2. Don't Look Weird On (most) People With Hair
3. Are Definitely Easier To Carry Around-- Fits Easily Into your Pocket

Advantages to Good Headphones:

1. Perfect Clarity and Total Relative Isolation
2. Can Look Cool In The Right Situation
3. Fits Easily Around Your Neck For A Cool DJ Look While Being Able To Talk To Other People

WHAM!
You just got slammed.
StaaVi

Edited by StaaViinsZ - March 06 2014 at 16:59
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 08:39
Originally posted by StaaViinsZ StaaViinsZ wrote:

Quote ^ hey for that price I am going to try them and see how they stack up to my Sonys.

Cool. Tell me when you get them. They are awesome :D

I got them and yeah they are pretty good.  But the Sony ones I have are slightly better. Big smile   I wish I remembered the model number, it doesn't say it on the phones.  I posted it another one of these threads a few years ago. 

weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 08:34
I got speakers in jar.And headphones for live music recordings. It's like being in the audience if it's good enough.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 22:46
If you have multiple speaker channels set up around you it can be just as immersive (sound wise) as headphones.
Just sit comfortably and enjoy. I recommend even closing your eyes while sitting upward. It works. :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 13:29
Hi,

My stereo:

ESS Heil AMT's - a pair I bought in 1978 and have had re-coned twice since. Still fantabulous!

Pioneer TT with A Stanton Cartridge that in 1978 cost $275 mullas! That turntable went through 4 belts before it died in 2008. The TT has been replaced by a similar quality Stanton TT that also has the USB connection on it, so now I can connect it to the computer network as well. Normally it is connected to the stereo system.

All in all, I have never met a pair of earphones that came close to this quality and the air motion transformers are magnificent for the trippy stuff that goes around your head in Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze. I couldn't careless to waste those speakers on The Rolling Stones, but I can tell you that Porcupine Tree sounds tremendous on it, and much better than we think.

There was a VAST difference in the quality all around, specially in those days. I do think that today, it is harder to tell, but I have never met any earbuds that can kiss the ass of my speakers, even after them being re-coned twice in their life, and I can still blow out the neighbor next door -- did it with Hawkwind the other day at 3 AM. Their rap noise stopped 10 minutes later! Next morning the guy asked what I was playing!

It's not the Marshall Stack for progressive music or anything, but you could almost say it's the Ampeg Stack for great music. Tangerine Dream has maybe 1/10th its "trippy" quality in ANY earphone that you can find these days, except (MAYBE) the high end premium ones. Remember that many headphones these days, favor the bass, not the wider spectrum, and this is a major issue for a headset ... it's too small to handle all the frequencies properly. I imagine that as time goes by this will be better, but there was an article that Dean wrote hear about speakers and cones, and the like, that COULD also suggest that the likelihood of the earbuds having the technology to show the sound as well, is not likely to happen when the technology that created it all was based on a cone and other physical designs that are now simply a chip changing the sound.

I might be partically incorrect here, but not meaning to. But I have heard Dream Theater in my speakers and they are way better than the earphones or my cheap computer speakers in my office (stereo is in the music room!).

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 08:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

My stereo:

ESS Heil AMT's - a pair I bought in 1978 and have had re-coned twice since. Still fantabulous!

Pioneer TT with A Stanton Cartridge that in 1978 cost $275 mullas! That turntable went through 4 belts before it died in 2008. The TT has been replaced by a similar quality Stanton TT that also has the USB connection on it, so now I can connect it to the computer network as well. Normally it is connected to the stereo system.

All in all, I have never met a pair of earphones that came close to this quality and the air motion transformers are magnificent for the trippy stuff that goes around your head in Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze. I couldn't careless to waste those speakers on The Rolling Stones, but I can tell you that Porcupine Tree sounds tremendous on it, and much better than we think.

There was a VAST difference in the quality all around, specially in those days. I do think that today, it is harder to tell, but I have never met any earbuds that can kiss the ass of my speakers, even after them being re-coned twice in their life, and I can still blow out the neighbor next door -- did it with Hawkwind the other day at 3 AM. Their rap noise stopped 10 minutes later! Next morning the guy asked what I was playing!

It's not the Marshall Stack for progressive music or anything, but you could almost say it's the Ampeg Stack for great music. Tangerine Dream has maybe 1/10th its "trippy" quality in ANY earphone that you can find these days, except (MAYBE) the high end premium ones. Remember that many headphones these days, favor the bass, not the wider spectrum, and this is a major issue for a headset ... it's too small to handle all the frequencies properly. I imagine that as time goes by this will be better, but there was an article that Dean wrote hear about speakers and cones, and the like, that COULD also suggest that the likelihood of the earbuds having the technology to show the sound as well, is not likely to happen when the technology that created it all was based on a cone and other physical designs that are now simply a chip changing the sound.

I might be partically incorrect here, but not meaning to. But I have heard Dream Theater in my speakers and they are way better than the earphones or my cheap computer speakers in my office (stereo is in the music room!).

Some ear buds are quite sophisticated. The tech is there. For instance on Headroom.com Shure have released an ear bud that has 6 drivers in it!! That's huge and would be an extremely immersive, high quality sound experience.
It'll cost ya 1200$ though.      

Also. Way to blow out the neighbors!!! I know no one could mess with me either. Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123