Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreatest record store of your youth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 06:38
I'll speak only of Toronto in the early 80's and late 70's (in my teens, rather than "youth")..; I did visit Montreal and Brussels, but had no fave hang-outs

My fave hang-out was Vortex Records (College & Jarvis)... a fantastic second-hand shop with excellent prizes for VG++ or mints >> still exists, but on Yonge & Eglinton

Record Peddler (Queen East and Jarvis) >> best (and one of three) import shop ... but expensive as hell

Vinyl Museum (Yonge and Dundas) way toooooo expensive (location) and not always VG++ for the price... but the choice...

Records On Wheels (Dundas, Mississauga) >> excellent recommandations

==================

In Brussels, I've lost my three or four faves over the last five or six years... Music Emporium, Music United, Music Room and Metrophone

But two shops still hve survived ....Veals & Geeks (a new arriver on the scene) and Caroline Records

Edited by Sean Trane - March 17 2013 at 06:52
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:44
The go to place for used stuff was Wax 'n' Facts.  I built up most of my prog collection back in the day on $2 singles and $3 doubles.  Turtles was the go to place for new vinyl.  Moving on to the CD age, you couldn't beat Tower Records.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:25
When I was a teenager there weren't any 'record shops' per se....but at college in '69 at IU Bloomington IN there was a place called Karma records that was decent and plenty of 'head shops' that also carried vinyl and back home in northern Indiana there was a hole in the wall called Hegwish Records that had a decent collection  of import vinyl.
Some one mentioned Vintage Vinyl in Evanston IL...been there a few times and there is a really neat place in Minneapolis called The Electric Fetus which I visited when my daughter lived  in town.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 15:10
Yeah, we had a head shop/record store in business for a little while down here.  I'll get back to you when I remember the name.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:17
When I was a teen there was a small, family-owned store in a strip center located about a quarter mile from my house.  The older lady that was there the most often was knowledgeable about all kinds of genres and I'd have many intelligent discussions about rock & roll groups with her.  They had a "listening booth" that allowed me to check out singles from unknown bands and I just remember it as being a special, relaxed place where I could indulge in my fascination with music at leisure.  Too bad places like that are gone forevermore.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 01:01
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Records On Wheels (Dundas, Mississauga) >> excellent recommandations

Ah, was just going to mention that. I actually live near Dundas, stop down there all the time. The store owner, Mike's a big 70's Prog and Kraut guy, so he's got all that good stuff. That's usually where I get a lot of my music. We got some great one's in Downtown Hamilton as well - Doctor Disc, Cheapies. Looney Tunes in Burlington ain't bad either.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - March 24 2013 at 01:03
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:19
There used to be 3 great shops in Middlesbrough back in the days of vinyl - Hamiltons, Alan Fearnley's and Austin's Records. Austin's didn't carry as much stock as the other 2 but he was a really nice guy who'd recommend and order stuff for you with a nice personal touch. Sadly, now all gone.
SoundscapeMN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 17:26
Cheapo was and still is the best record store in Minnesota and possibly the Midwest US. The only store I've been to that I prefer is Amoeba Records, preferably the Northern California locations.

I'm actually looking to publish an entry in my blog soon about my experience and ratings per say of Record Stores in Minnesota and where I've been to in other towns (not a ton). Hopefully have it published by Record Store Day, April 20th.

http://last.fm/user/SoundscapeMN
http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 23:03
Originally posted by SoundscapeMN SoundscapeMN wrote:

Cheapo was and still is the best record store in Minnesota and possibly the Midwest US. The only store I've been to that I prefer is Amoeba Records, preferably the Northern California locations.

The shops I used to frequent here in MN were
Oar Folkjokeopus
Hot Licks
Northern Lights
Optic Nerve
Electric Fetus

Roadrunner came later and actually had a Prog section.

Midland Records was the one in my nearby suburban mall and where I have the most vivid memories of discovery in my 'tweens when I wandered away from my mom. I especially loved looking at the Frank Zappa records.
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 19:17
Drastic Plastic here in St.Catharines.
Pop-Tones in the late '80s was really good.
There was a place in Hamilton (which I forget) I used to get my Eloy. Even if he didn't want the stuff I brought in he'd still cut me some slack on what I bought.
The Stygian Heresy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 21:48
Hot Poop Records & Tapes in Walla Walla, WA.  The owner is Jim McGuinn, very honest, very cool guy, never let me push the limits of my budget, knowing I was in high school.  I wanted everything listed in those JEM Record catalogs (remember those?) from 77, 78, and 79.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2017 at 22:33
The closest thing I had to a "record store" in Helena, Montana was a video rental store called Hastings.  I guess they're kind of scattered (or were, might have all closed) across the country.  They had a decent selection of music, video games and books and also movies.  That was our hangout spot back in the day. 
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 00:51
Apex Records.

Charlie Brown, proprietor.

Corner of State Street and Broadway, now a Christian bookstore.

He it was who brought back from distant shores for me the likes of Robert Fripp and Brian Eno No Pussyfooting and Gentle Giant In A Glass House.

Great memories, thanks for the thread and bless you, Mr.Brown, wherever you may be now.
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123