Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Banks (Yes, Flash)...R.I.P.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 18:54
Very sad to hear of his passing.

I will be spinning "Two Sides" this evening in remembrance.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 18:58
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Please read this interview with Peter, it is very far-reaching and very interesting!  He goes all the way back to his early Yes days, when he shared a flat with Bob Fripp! 

Fascinating fellow, I'm sorry that he never received all the credit he was due.  I highly recommend his most recent solo albums, "Instinct," "Self-Contained" and "Reduction".  I particularly enjoy "Self-Contained," his guitar style approaches that of Steve Vai!  

RIP, Peter, we lost one of the true pioneers when you left us. 
I just read the interview.  Very interesting indeed.  Everybody else should read it.  I particularly like this quote: "Now when I do gigs I always remember that: every gig could be my last gig. So I'll make of that a really good experience for me and the audience." Clap
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 20:59
 RIP Peter, Time has passed without so much as a word. You have traveled astrally along the loneliest sea and into the open sky, clearly survival was not in the cards for you, looking around, every little thing about Yes stemmed from your playing style. I see you as the starting point in Yes's career both beyond and before The Syn, you were destined to be a prog giant. From your humble, small beginnings you became an influential guitarist. To read the article announcing your passig, with my still foggy Monday morning eyes came as a shock to me. To see it written in black and white was too horrid to believe. You are immortalized in your music, you are gone but not forgotten. Farewell number one, may sweet dreams and clear days await you on the eternal plane.  

Edited by Astral Traveller - March 12 2013 at 21:05

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 22:28
Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

RIP Peter, Time has passed without so much as a word. You have traveled astrally along the loneliest sea and into the open sky, clearly survival was not in the cards for you, looking around, every little thing about Yes stemmed from your playing style. I see you as the starting point in Yes's career both beyond and before The Syn, you were destined to be a prog giant. From your humble, small beginnings you became an influential guitarist. To read the article announcing your passig, with my still foggy Monday morning eyes came as a shock to me. To see it written in black and white was too horrid to believe. You are immortalized in your music, you are gone but not forgotten. Farewell number one, may sweet dreams and clear days await you on the eternal plane.  

Beer
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:19

I'm very saddened to learn that one of my favorite guitarists, Peter Banks, apparently passed away on 10 March, 2013....
Yes, very sad news indeed... R.I.P.

Yessongs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:37
Rest in Peace sweet Astral Traveller
Caroline Yessongs
Yessongs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:39
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

I'm very saddened to learn that one of my favorite guitarists, Peter Banks, apparently passed away on 10 March, 2013....
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Yes, very sad news indeed... R.I.P.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"

></span>

DITTO.........BRILLIANT post.
Caroline Yessongs
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:42
Peter Banks, you are now an astral traveller reaching for new beginnings in dreams of heaven.
Thank you for the music.
Yessongs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Astral Traveller Astral Traveller wrote:

BRILLIANT POST ASTRAL TRAVELLER.
The post above was a bit of a mistake....sorry..

Beer

Caroline Yessongs
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 03:32
RIP Peter 

I love the most his guitar work in Astral Traveler

1969 also have some nice jazzy guitar parts, especially in "I See You"

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 08:59
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Love that first album and will be playing it soon.

Clap
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 09:07
I was very interested to see that yesterday evening "Trending Now" on Yahoo, the number one spot was Peter Banks Dies.  It is still there and currently trending at the number 2 spot.  While I'm saddened by his death, I am heartened to see that so many people know who he is.  I'm glad that such a great musician and composer didn't just fade away in complete obscurity.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:19
Peter was a very different artist from the average prog guitarist.  While the vast majority of prog artists valued deftness, accuracy, subtlety etc., Peter wielded his axe... well, like an axe.  Exuberance, creativity, and a dash of over the top showmanship are his hallmarks.  He will be missed.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Peter was a very different artist from the average prog guitarist.  While the vast majority of prog artists valued deftness, accuracy, subtlety etc., Peter wielded his axe... well, like an axe.  Exuberance, creativity, and a dash of over the top showmanship are his hallmarks.  He will be missed.

Thank you, great point!  Peter was heavily influenced by the physical stage presence of Pete Townsend, who was an early Yes supporter at gigs.   I think he developed his physical traits ("gear shift" slashing motion, leaps, stalking the stage etc.) by studying Townsend. 

At his "Voice of Yes" concert in Chicago area back in 2011, Jon Anderson mentioned the Banks-Townsend connection, and said that one thing that attracted Yes to Steve Howe was Howe's more studied approach to the guitar, playing "all sorts of wonderful chords."   I almost got the feeling that Anderson was the main impetus to push Banks out of the band! 

Banks had a different style than Howe, but was equally adept on the instrument.   He approached the guitar with more of a jazz style, vs. Howe's "rockabilly" percussive speed.   Howe was the the right guitarist for the era. 

Check out Banks' CD "Instinct" for some really blazing experimental rock guitar work!  Banks uses an Ibanez Jem solidbody guitar (same as Steve Vai), and modern electronics.  The sound is really stunning and unlike what we are used to from Yes and Flash compilations.  He also plays all instruments, check it out....VERY cool & complex!!

Edited by cstack3 - March 13 2013 at 23:36
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 16:36
As you may know---^^^Anderson was the dictator and probably did push him out of Yes---Howe was a hot shot guitartist back in day and Anderson once said in Yes you have to pee or get off the pot---which doesn't sound like something he's say but he did---in the context of Wakeman replacing Kaye----but Howe and The Yes ALbum made Anderson see all the limitless possibilities of the group---so first Banks gets the boot and when Wakeman became available good bye Kaye--those were the days when they let only the best in the group---later on they let lot's of second rate guys and the music suffered.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 16:50
What ? The first member of Yes dead. Sad. R.I.P.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 23:44
Sad followup, this was posted on the "Notes From The Edge" page on Facebook:

Nic Caciappo asked that we post the following regarding the state of Peter's remains, and how you can help. If you have any questions Nic advised to send him or George Mizer a message via Facebook. More updates as this develops. Thanks.

Friends of Yes & in particular Peter Banks. It has been since last Thursday Mar 7 that Peter passed away. He found at his home on Fri Mar 8. His body is still in the morgue and not being claimed because he has no family, and only an ex-wife who doesn't wish to assist. He may be cremated by the morgue and his belongings taken into custody by authorities. His ex needs to at least to tell the morgue that his friend(s) can take over. Then, they will want fees for cremation and delivery of his remains. Peter's belongings are still safe. But, there will be a need to sort this out with helping hands. 

There is now a PayPal account set up to donate, which is connected to Pete's friend of 40+ years, George Mizer. I stand by George, he is a good friend. 

The PayPal account is: [email protected] and ready to accept any donation amount. The expenses that will need to be covered are cremation, urn, possible travel from USA to London, other fees and expenses regarding Peter's belongings which could be auctioned to help pay for this as well. Again, the account is [email protected].

Thanks.
===========

I've also known George Mizer for years, and I believe this is legit.  However, there are valid questions to ask re: what happens if more money is donated than needed?  etc. 

George is quite devastated with the loss of his old friend and longtime client, and Pete's former wife, Sidonie Jordan, is not the ex-wife mentioned!  Sheesh, what a mess....one of the original founders of the prog idiom being treated like this!  

I won't suggest donating anything right now, but use your own judgement.  I don't think a modest donation would hurt, and I'm hopeful that there will be some rather amazing archival recordings that will eventually be released.  I'll post more as I hear more.  Cheers, Chuck 
Astral Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:00
^ I'm going to wait a bit before donating, make sure this is a necesity, as for the archival recordings, I heard that the reason people checked Banks home, was that he didn't show up to a recording session, meaning that he was working on something, something new, something that will now be released post-humously.

A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable. -Robert Fripp
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 17:18
Pete was working on a live FLASH recording never before released—mixing, I suppose—when he didn't turn up in the studio and was later found dead. The recording was to be released by Cleopatra Records (with the intention of NOT paying royalties to the rest of the band, as he also did with the Cherry Red reissues last year of FLASH'S original three albums.)  Pete was a talented piece of work!  

We'll have to see how all this pans out now.  Cleopatra is also releasing the new FLASH CD in May.  We've been told Pete heard three of the new tracks and liked them very much, especially the cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt".

We're all shocked and saddened by his death.  Ray and Colin were ever hopeful of a reconciliation and future work together, but knew it was doubtful.  Now that hope dies with him.  May he rest in peace.  The spirit of FLASH lives on and will evolve and carry on...  

Edited by sherrynoland - March 15 2013 at 01:50
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 19:36
^Thanks, Sherry!  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>