Topic ClosedTransatlantic recording now. New album 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 17:56
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting much from them anymore, just some other hyper-formulaic epics. I still consider Bridge Across Forever their best work.

I liked The Whirlwind most of all... easily. Don't really know if they can pull that off again.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 06:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting much from them anymore, just some other hyper-formulaic epics. I still consider Bridge Across Forever their best work.

I liked The Whirlwind most of all... easily. Don't really know if they can pull that off again.
I've come to the conclusion that The Whirlwind starts off brilliantly, has the odd 'bump' along the way (the shrieking vocals in 'Lay Down Your Life' - "like rain in Spokane"....Sick), and kind of finishes slightly dull with a Morse rant.  I do love the album, although I think it's hard for them to top 'All Of The Above' or even 'Duel With The Devil' as far as their epics go. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that The Whirlwind starts off brilliantly, has the odd 'bump' along the way (the shrieking vocals in 'Lay Down Your Life' - "like rain in Spokane"....Sick), and kind of finishes slightly dull with a Morse rant.  I do love the album, although I think it's hard for them to top 'All Of The Above' or even 'Duel With The Devil' as far as their epics go. 

I didn't really find anything bad in the middle of the album... perhaps one of the songs was slightly weaker, but it must have been a short one. As for the last song, indeed I find it dull, it's the only part on the album I don't really like.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 16:57

I didn't really find anything bad in the middle of the album... perhaps one of the songs was slightly weaker, but it must have been a short one. As for the last song, indeed I find it dull, it's the only part on the album I don't really like.
Wow- you hit the nail on the head there, my friend !!  Thing is, the excellent parts (most of the epic) are truly excellence of the highest order.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:18
I want get all of your opinions here for a second. How do we feel about NEAL MORSE's voice?? My feeling is that when Neal goes softer in his vocal approach he sounds great, but when he tries to get edgy he sucks. I hope he sticks to being mellow. Anyway. I welcome anyone's thought on this matter then of course will get

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:19
I want get all of your opinions here for a second. How do we feel about NEAL MORSE's voice?? My feeling is that when Neal goes softer in his vocal approach he sounds great, but when he tries to get edgy he sucks. I hope he sticks to being mellow. Anyway. I welcome anyone's thought on this matter then of course will get

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:22

Do you want us to play 'spot the difference' ?? LOL

I'm not fond of Neal's shrieky and 'macho' tones, but he is a great singer most of the time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:24

I'm not fond of Neal's shrieky and 'macho' tones, but he is a great singer most of the time.

See!! You don't like the shrieking either. Ok. So I'm not alone here. Just sound so off!!

Border line tone def.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 17:32
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

See!! You don't like the shrieking either. Ok. So I'm not alone here. Just sound so off!!

Border line tone def.
Thing is, when I first heard 'Lay Down Your Life' I thought it was Portnoy who had 'found his voice'.  It doesn't suit Neal.......The 'Whirld Tour' DVD is awesome.  Trewavas looking pretty rugged LOL.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 21:23
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I rather find Neal's voice a bit weak... as a matter of fact, all of the bands members could be better singers, however, I've gotten used to it, and now mostly those vocals seem charming to me, I truly enjoy them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 22:50
Interesting feedback guys. Thank you. I'm thinking overall, Neil's voice is an acquired taste. Either love it or hate it, but in time if you hate his voice but hear it a lot, it'll grow on you like a son of a bitch. Lol.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 01:59
Let's call it his 'Catfish Man' voice LOL.............(glad I think I'm funny...)
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 09:56

Let's call it his 'Catfish Man' voice LOL.............(glad I think I'm funny...)

Yeah the way I think of it is that his "Catfish Man" voice is part of all of this in one man being Neal. So have a nice day, so go ahead and have a nice day now!
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:13
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Yeah the way I think of it is that his "Catfish Man" voice is part of all of this in one man being Neal. So have a nice day, so go ahead and have a nice day now!

Now don't any of you give any hint of dislike to the Horrible Catfish Man thereStern Smile
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:16
But yeah, I guess it would be nice to hear less Neal and more the other guys vocally on this next one. Not that I don't like his voice, it is pretty repetitive at times I must admit. And speaking of the Whirlwind, I loved it from the beginning to the end. Maybe even more than BaF, hard to say.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 12:43

Love it. Prefect description. Maybe we could also go with 'the incredible shrieking eel thats lost it's way."

Mr. Mustard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 23:15
Neal is easily my favorite vocalist. He has that nasally and quirky vocal side especially in Spock's, and then of course the emotional preachy side. Pretty diverse singer even if it might get samey after a while. Similar to Paul McCartney in this regard, who is also one of my favorites.

As far as Transatlantic goes, I simply can't wait for the new album. The band hasn't put out anything I don't like. 
How could it possibly be bland when you have easily the most melodically gifted composers of modern prog in Neal and Roine, and a solid rhythm section in Pete and Mike. I'm glad they're back to the SMPTe/BAC format with the longer epics and the few shorter songs, even though I did really like the Whirlwind. I just hope Pete gets more vocal parts.

So yeah, this is exciting news.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 00:59
Yeah - Pete doing more lead vocals would be a treat !!  The guy just keeps going from strength to strength since his Grendel days LOL.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 11:28
[QUOTE=Tom Ozric]Yeah - Pete doing more lead vocals would be a treat !!  The guy just keeps going from strength to strength since his Grendel days LOL.[/QUOTE

And some for slapping bass lines...
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

[QUOTE=Tom Ozric]Yeah - Pete doing more lead vocals would be a treat !!  The guy just keeps going from strength to strength since his Grendel days LOL.[/QUOTE

And more slapping bass lines would be excellent...

Edited by AlexDOM - June 05 2013 at 11:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>