Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransatlantic recording now. New album 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 00:01
Cooee concerning the above, I love Daniel Gildenlow, besides being multi-instrumentalist and being so talented he has 4 octave vocals which is very rare too. I love him!!!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 00:03
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Cooee concerning the above, I love Daniel Gildenlow, besides being multi-instrumentalist and being so talented he has 4 octave vocals which is very rare too. I love him!!!

The prove that I like him is that I live in Africa yet went in 2011 to Sweden just to see him perform live, thus yeah!!! and yay :)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 01:08
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Hey Sonia, good to see you!
Sorry, I know my shot at Daniel was a little cheap!
I'm not a big fan, but I can totally understand why he'd appeal to women, so carry on!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 19:38
Some more updates from Mike Portnoy's twitter:

TA4 Sessions - Day #3 We already have 1 epic in the bag...hard at work on the next!

and

I just wrote some pretty crazy accents to a new section & the guys are writing around em...
check out the chart
---> pic.twitter.com/52fmfAat08
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 23:38
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

At least this confirms that Daniel Gildenlow will not be part of he writing process, as some were hoping this time around.

Oh thank f**k... hahaha.

Have to agree. Not sure Gildenlow would fit here for me. I'm still getting used to his voice. I still do not own any pain of salvation albums because of this. I heard his voice on AYREON's 0011010110 album and did not really dig his chops, especially on beneath the waves.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 02:57
What can you say.. the best band ever imho bringing up yet another bunch of epic stuff. What else would you ask for? I sure hope they'd come to Finland this time if they tour, it would be a dream come true to catch them live. And getting an epic ready in less than three days.. just.. lol. Big smile Especially since in TA's case it probably means something 25+ minutes.

I adore DG's voice, although I'm not that much a fan of Pain of Salvation he sounds great in there (and in Flower Kings and TA live too, of course).
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 21:47
i always think transatlantic is supposed to have 2 from America and 2 from Europe. Adding Gildenlow as a sort of 'real' member would be nice but unfortunately will tip the perfect balance.

I just wrote some pretty crazy accents to a new section & the guys are writing around em...
check out the chart

can any musicians here explain what that MP accent are supposed to mean? They dont look like chord progression but are they riff patterns?
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 02:15
Originally posted by terryl terryl wrote:

i always think transatlantic is supposed to have 2 from America and 2 from Europe. Adding Gildenlow as a sort of 'real' member would be nice but unfortunately will tip the perfect balance.

check out the chart

can any musicians here explain what that MP accent are supposed to mean? They dont look like chord progression but are they riff patterns?

Rhytm patterns meaning time signature changes. I assume the numbers 1), 2) etc. mean sections as for changing the "riff", or in this case drum comp since Portnoy has most likely written for just the drums here (as for "the guys are writing around em"). The story doesn't tell whether the tempo changes with the sections as well or remains consistent. Anyway, seems promising Tongue

Edited by Morsenator - May 29 2013 at 02:15
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 18:53
Originally posted by terryl terryl wrote:

i always think transatlantic is supposed to have 2 from America and 2
from Europe. Adding Gildenlow as a sort of 'real' member would be nice
but unfortunately will tip the perfect balance.

I just wrote some pretty crazy accents to a new section & the guys are writing around em...check out the chart ---> pic.twitter.com/52fmfAat08

Oh, but USA is just one country, while Europe is a whole continent, so as a matter of fact, having one more member from Europe wouldn't really harm. Now, they would only need one more member from UK. Or perhaps, one member from another american country, I don't know. Besides, I believe Daniel should be a better singer than any of the official member on Transatlantic, so he couldn't harm the band (unfortunatley, I really haven't heard much Pain of Salvation, so I may be wrong... still, I'm already waiting for my first PoS album to arrive, so I may comment on this again later on).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 03:27
I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting much from them anymore, just some other hyper-formulaic epics. I still consider Bridge Across Forever their best work.
doctorphil View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 03:31
Just posted by MP on Facebook

The TA4 Sessions went splendidly fantastic! (I think I've been hanging around Pete too much these past weeks...haha!) I won't disclose any details, but I will say the album is about 75 mins long and has 5 songs (2 Epics & 3 "normal" length) and we also recorded 8 Covers for a Bonus Disc as well! Release is expected for the beginning of 2014...more info to come later in the year...

Can't wait
< rel="async" ="commentable_item autoexpand_mode" method="post" ="https://www.facebook.com/ajax/ufi/modify.php" id="u_0_l" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 04:20
Originally posted by doctorphil doctorphil wrote:

Just posted by MP on Facebook

.... the album is about 75 mins long and has 5 songs (2 Epics & 3 "normal" length) and we also recorded 8 Covers for a Bonus Disc as well!
< rel="async" ="commentable_item autoexpand_mode" method="post" ="https://www.facebook.com/ajax/ufi/modify.php" id="u_0_l" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ">

Sounds good. Been hoping they would drop the superlatively long epic for more solidly composed pieces.

Also hope they would drop the drones and noises like the ending of Stranger to your soul, a rock solid epic had they decided to remove the few minutes of crappy noise outtro.

Edited by terryl - May 30 2013 at 04:23
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 05:25
Transatlantic - 3 super-dooper albums for sure - can they do it again ???  Hoping and praying..........Bowdown
Oh yeah, 'SMPTe' is a fine cut above the other 2 - plain AMAZING, flawless, wouldn't change a thing etc. !!! 
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 05:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Oh yeah, 'SMPTe' is a fine cut above the other 2 - plain AMAZING, flawless, wouldn't change a thing etc. !!! 

Agreed.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 08:01
I hope the "normal" length songs aren't just ballads, I'm hoping they're like Mystery Train, or that they're just as adventurous as the epics.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 12:23
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not expecting much from them anymore, just some other hyper-formulaic epics. I still consider Bridge Across Forever their best work.

Could hyper-formulaic epic be translated into excessive guitar noodling or just plain musical masturbation??
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 12:49
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Could hyper-formulaic epic be translated into excessive guitar noodling or just plain musical masturbation??
Neither. I mean, Neal is a great musician but his sense of composition is stagnant for the last few years (since Sola Scriptura I would say), it's always more of the same. Roine's contribution could be felt a bit more in The Whirlwind but the album still carried Neal's stamp on its forehead. I didn't enjoy Testimony 2 that much either and I have not even cared to buy Momentum, I'm too afraid it's more of the same Neal's late formula music.
I'm afraid I'l stick to his work with SB and his great albums up to Sola Scriptura.
They will always be a great band to see live though!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 13:28

I hope the "normal" length songs aren't just ballads, I'm hoping they're like Mystery Train, or that they're just as adventurous as the epics.
Why ?? - 'We All Need Some Light' and 'Bridge Across Forever' are incredibly beautiful Prog-ballads - I wouldn't change a thing..............
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 13:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Why ?? - 'We All Need Some Light' and 'Bridge Across Forever' are incredibly beautiful Prog-ballads - I wouldn't change a thing..............

I didn't mean to say I don't like the ballads, but I hope that not all 3 are ballads, and, more specifically, I'd like to hear a real proggy song from these guys that isn't an epic, or just a section of a larger piece of music.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 15:05
Kind of late on this but I love Daniel Gildenlow (amazing voice and emotion) and early Pain of Salvation, so if he was in the writing process I would be happy, but I'm just as happy the way it is. 
And back to Transatlantic I find My New World to be growing on me, I love that piece!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>