Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJack O' The Clock (U.S.) for RIO/Avant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 07:39
I'll agree some of the stuff is more chambery experimental than folk, but most has some sort of lineage to folk, and they certainly seem to be attracting attention in prog circles and being compared to mostly prog acts.  I'm not clear on why they should need to have been around since the 60s to be prog folk.  We folkies are an old bunch but we can still get in board with new stuff.  So I voted yes and am waiting for Clem's input.
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 10:48
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Originally posted by ProgShine ProgShine wrote:

I don't want to be rude or anything. I can honestly receive a no, even if I don't agree with.

Diego, I have never known you to be rude and in any case my comment was not directed at you. Did you follow the link I added in my previous post?

People who want to talk the talk should first walk the walk.

No no Chris, I wasn't asnwering directly for you on a personal level really Smile

I was just speaking my mind about some bands that are on PA, and they have little or nothing Prog and some bands that are never added and they do have. Just that Approve

Well, if it's a no it's a no, but for me, and for my little Progshine Jack O' The Clock is a yes: http://www.progshine.net/2013/08/jack-o-clock.html Wink
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

wowie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 04:10
well, i love revolution and democracy, so YES im not accepting a NO that simple. and i think thats a good thing.
Specially if there is a heavy talk about the categorization on PA and of what is prog in general.
i dont try to decide or dictate sth, its just a discussion.
And im always happy if someone does not ignore the whishes (even if they seem stupid in the eyes of others) of the people. So minimum thanks for talking ...

So imho its hard to define classic prog and i would not say that you cant find any elemnts of it in Jack O.
The other question is, how much classic prog rock must be in there?
In case of PA i think too much.
And another radical question would be, can PROG be classic??

i totally accept that this is a private and mostly undemocratic db, so in the end its the choice of the admins and co.
Its just so sad that prog is limiting itself, or gets limited by some critics.
Even if the bands calling themselves prog rock.

their tags on reverbnations are clear
Folk / Progressive Rock / Experimental

they tag themselves on bandcamp with
avant rock experimental avant-folk avant-prog chamber folk chamber pop experimental prog rock in opposition singer-songwriter Oakland

Babyblaue sites categorize them as
Folk; RetroProg; RIO / Avant; Worldmusic / Ethno

its on here
http://newprogreleases.blogspot.de/2013/03/jack-o-clock-all-my-friends.html

and here
http://progulator.com/reviews/jack-othe-clock-all-my-friends/

so i dont want to be rude too, but sometimes you just have to fight for your right, chances and new possibilitys!
For progress!!!
this (ALL MY FRIENDS) is so so prog!
and if mostly everybody believes it, its a question worth why the system isnt able to integrate them at the moment!?

of course you can argue that there is more X then rock. So maybe we could classify them as a progressive folk outfit. but then there is again symphonic elements, electronic elements and rock elements. So this is also not fitting.
you can add them to RIO/avant without problems, but i think that is also not the whole thing of Jack O.
Therefor they have to much folk, symphonic and rock structures in there.
And sorry, what do i get when i take rock, folk, symphonic and experimental stuff together?
i thought thats kind of classic rock?

sorry for the sarcasm, but it seems so obvious for me.

anyway, for the systems stability and for the fortune/misfortune of the band, we can wait until the next release.
but i think we, the usual folks, should be more open, flexible and progressive, this really doesnt hurt.
Except the rock maybe ;)

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 04:59
How many times do I have to say that I think they belong in Prog Folk? That is not my decision of course, but Ken has already posted at the top of this page that he has voted ''yes'' and is just waiting for Bob's input.

''Think a lysergic Incredible String Band crossed with a mescaline-addled Fairport Convention.'' (Warren Barker, Progression Magazine)

Listening to First Of The Year (5th video from the top) makes me think they should be here. They get good press on other prog sites. Mostly described as ''experimental folk... Folk in Opposition... avant-garde folk... indie folksters'' and their own label for themselves ''majestic junk folk'' so I guess Prog Folk is the obvious place for a full eval.

I've listened again to All My Friends and while this group is hard to classify that doesn't make them Eclectic Prog Rock. I really can't hear any classic prog rock in their music. Imo they are some kind of experimental / avant-chamber / acoustic / quirky folk. The only genres I see them in are Avant Prog or Folk so the best I can do is ask the PF Team to reconsider them.

... as far as I'm concerned and as far as just about every other site I've looked at is concerned and as far as the band themselves are concerned (see my post dated 24th March), this is a folk outfit. The purpose of my most recent post above was to ask if the PF Team would take one final shot with this artist. My apologies to the PF Team if I'm wasting their time by asking them to reconsider, but I hoped this would give us a final decision, one way or the other, with no further need for ping-ponging.

Expressing an opinion is one thing, but appearing to use the suggestion lounge to tell someone what a piss-poor job they're doing is something else. You've been a member three years longer than I have but I guess you've missed a lot. These horses have all been flogged well beyond death, but there are better places you can discuss them. Learn to use the search function please. Wink  
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 08:30
Cool down and wait for Prog Folk Team's decision, wowie. Wink
wowie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 06:56
im really not upset or criticize a personal act or statement ... im just trying to convince about a specific view of prog that is necessary to value a specific bands status to be prog or not.
im not sayin that anybody personal is doin a bad job in relation to the work that is expected by the rulers of the db.
Seems you are doing just what is somehow needed and thats okay with me as it belongs to the range of the private db.
But its kind of different when it comes to prog culture and perspectives in general as this is something that is open information and a room that interacts with all others and should be discussed freely.
For me its massively equal which category they are in but they should be in here anywhere.
So im just discussing the perspective on the band BUT this just correlates with a general view of prog and the subgenres.

sorry as i really havent checked/understand Kens posting ... and my last stand was "already rejected from both".
anyway the decision is not there and even if it would, i can still try to convince, cant i?
of course not permanently as we also need room for others, i really dont want to continue this til the end of the year as i already stated to wait for the next release.

So im really not upset or something, this is just normal discussion and campaigning for me.
but some people are really not interested in doing or registering this. Sad me but in the end i guess i dont hang up on this. So dont worry ;)

im maybe upset about the idea, that learning it by myself is the best way of learning it.
Maybe because someone ask questions, why and where, gets no answers and in the end its his fault not to do it right.
And because a theme is discussed many times but always imprecisely and without a new and better result is no reason to make the discussion obsolete.
Well sarcasm and provocative thoughts result often in harsh comments ... this was also expected. Sorry for the not fitting and political incorrect input.

Edited by wowie - September 25 2013 at 07:00
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 04:47
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Not so avant-prog as Thinguma*jigSaw.
Not sure if they can be fit for Prog Folk.

Nice to see that Thinguma*jigSaw. have found a place in your memory Smile
They have recently performed a farewell gig before disbanding, I think in Dublin.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 07:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12