Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShadowlight for Crossover/Neo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shadowlight for Crossover/Neo
    Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:15

Official website: http://www.shadowlight.org.uk
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shadowlight/101240186599103

"James Hodkinson and Mark Wilson met at college in the early 1990's, played together in various live contexts, and numerous side-projects, but finally reunited in 2009 to form Shadowlight. This band finally offers both musicians a chance to work on ambitious, extended songwriting that draws together all their influences: rock and metal, progressive ambitions, classical ochestration, and ambient synthesis. Paul Collins recently joined us as drummer along with Ed Williamson Brown on bass guitar. The line up is now complete.

The product is a collection of unique songs that emotionally engage, but extend beyond generic rock song-writing; they combine driving metal guitar riffs and leads with delicate classical and acoustic instrumentation, peruse wide-ranging rhythmic experiments and boast layered harmony vocals with memorable hooks - all set against otherwordly, evocative atmospheres. A rich mix, showcasing great musicianship, but without wandering into abtsraction.
"

I was handed a leaflet for these guys at a Riverside gig I went to on Friday, looked for them on ProgArchives, and saw they hadn't been added/suggested yet (though they've already been brought up http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72931). Not the best thing I ever heard in my life, but pretty good, and definitely prog. I've only listened to the album a few times, but it seems to be growing on me.

I put crossover/neo, but to be honest they could arguably fit into symphonic/heavy without too much difficulty. If you wish to hear for yourself then you can listen to their 2012 album "Twilight Canvas" on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/shadowlighttheband. They have also had an EP in 2010 ("Winter").

The lineup is currently:
JAMES HODKINSON (lead vocals, guitar)
MARK WILSON (piano, synths, vocals)
ED WILLIAMSON-BROWN (bass guitar, mastering & engineering)
TONY WRIGHT (guitars and vocals)
PAUL COLLINS (drums)

Twilight Canvas - 2012:
1.  Dreaming Awake (5:38)
2.  Beauty Dies (5:37)
3.  Monochrome Dream (6:53)
4.  Winter (7:30)
5.  Different Light (5:37)
6.  Cutting Room (6:38)
7.  Black Swan (6:30)
8.  Reprise (1:55)
9.  3 A.M. Forever (5:43)
10.  Evenfall (4:44)

(I don't have and can't find a track listing for the small Winter EP from 2010, so I'm sorry about that)

I would say they are a melodic prog band that draws from new artists like Porcupine Tree and Riverside, as well as older symphonic bands like Genesis. Moments of delicate ambiance and more complex sections are both present in their sound, along with some heavier outbursts (the leaflet I got claimed them to be a mixture of Genesis and Tool). They describe themselves as "Post-Progressive Rock" , though I have no idea what this is meant to mean.

Thanks for reading, I've tried to do this post like I'm supposed to, please let me know if something is wrong Smile.

Edited by ScorchedFirth - March 17 2013 at 11:58
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:34
^ A superb presentation of a superb band!  Clap

We could just add the YouTube versions of the 'Twilight Canvas' album for added effect:

And the track 'Slumber' from the 'Winter' EP:

The debut release "Winter" was billed as a "5-track snapshot of what's to come". It contains remix/edits of: "Monochrome Dream", "Heart Of The Machine" and "Slumber", as well as two all-new tracks: the epic "Ghost", and the haunting title-track "Winter". It appears that only 'Monochrome Dream' and 'Winter' were eventually included in the full-length 'Twilight Canvas' album though.

Great music!  Thumbs Up An easy add for Crossover in my opinion, that's if it's not accepted first in Neo.

Thanks very much for posting this fine suggestion...another album I've now got to go out and buy!! Tongue

EDIT: The info about the "Winter" EP was found in a comment the band made on their reverbnation page: http://www.reverbnation.com/shadowlighttheband.

Edited by yam yam - March 17 2013 at 14:38
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 14:58
Ah, well spotted, thank you for filling in my gaps!
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 03:33
Thanks guys! I've asked the Neo team to check it out.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 06:49
Oh Walter, how we miss thee . . . (from the link to the first time that they were recommended)  

I'll evaluate today.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 07:07
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Oh Walter, how we miss thee . . . (from the link to the first time that they were recommended)
exactly.

Stern Smile

Joking aside, I've felt they be closer to Crossover than Neo ... my tuppence.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 11:30
Moved from Neo to Crossover, and an easy 'yes' for me in Crossover: http://progfreak.com/Shadowlight-155900.html?path=pa/recent.  Thumbs Up
PH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 04:05
 'Twilight Canvas' album is packed with catchy melodies shuffling along at a sedate pace. That takes onto a breath-taking trip through the universe created by Shadowlight…
As this cleverly-constructed album evolves, you will be impressed by the stuff that guys are able to bring to the table. The guitar player James Hodkinson proves to be a burner of true talent. And when he’s backed by the tasteful keyboards of Mark Wilson then the results are 10 songs of high calibre. Add to that some impactful bass work from Ed Williamson-Brown, the colourful drumming of Paul Collins and you have a line-up of musicians that sheer class on display and sophistication. The vocal performance is strong and lyrical aspect is articulate. Each track has its merit to flow through changes that keep everything organic. For me personally, standouts include: ever changing 'Beauty Dies', melancholic 'Monochrome Dream' and eloquent 'The Cutting Room' along with beautiful 'Black Swan Song'. Though Porcupine Tree is cited for spiritualism, that does not stop this new release being worthy of attention. Atmospheric or post-rock or progressive - whatever you want to call it, Shadowlight meshes expertise stuff. There’s so much to celebrate here. All in all, I think the British band has lived up to the promise to deliver an excellent full-length album. Do yourself a favour and check out 'Twilight Canvas'. .
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 11:03
^ Great review! Clap Hopefully you will consider adding it to the page that is created on here for the album when the band has been added to the database (as I'm sure it will be!) Thumbs Up
PH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 00:36
Shadowlight have been the UK's little secret for a while, but now that ‘Twilight Canvas’ is out, many prog-rock lovers will be taking notice...

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 15:13
added to crossover
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply