Topic ClosedWho is peaking right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:34
Back to OP:  Who's peaking right now?

SKE, The Amazing, Aranis, Factor Burzaco, My Brother the Wind, Kotebel, Daal, UneXpect, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Cicada, sleepmakeswaves, Sanhedrin, Votum, Egonon, Airbag, Methexis, and, of course, BIg Big Train.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 00:48
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Some Norwegian art-rock has also been gaining a lot of fans and critical acclaim worldwide - you've mentioned White Willow, but I'm especially thinking of Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist and Susanne Sundfřr.

Speaking of Norwegian Bands, I HAVE to mention Major Parkinson, one of my all time favorite bands. Seriously some of the most creative, fun, catchy song-based music I have heard. They have only released two albums so far but both are basically perfect, catchy from the first listen but still interesting dozens of listens later. They may have already peaked though, because their guitarist left and as far as I am concerned, he was a huge part of why they were awesome. So we'll see what the future has in store for them ...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:01
I'll add Brandt Brauer Frick kind of electronic techno dance but with lots of traditional instruments & a minimalist jazz feel. Two great album's so far and a third one just released. 

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:57
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Hackett has never sounded better than he has on his last few albums.

Seconded. The guy just keeps getting better and better.
Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:35
I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.
PROG ON!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:40
I actually don't like to think of a band as peaking or declining etc.  I just think of new material as change, unless of course new material isn't "new" material, but rather rehashed ideas.  But, to be honest, isn't that what most people are always complaining to hear more of?  "I hope their next album sounds like (insert previous album here).  I don't want to hear music that sounds too much like previous material a band put out.  Bring on change!
PROG ON!!!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.
And, all the original members are no longer in the band ... except DG.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 21:23
Discipline. I love their latest, and I think the next couple of albums are going to be absolutely fantastic.

There are of course bands that never stop peaking, because they never released a dud. Here I am particularly thinking Dungen.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 27 2013 at 21:24
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

And, all the original members are no longer in the band ... except DG.

Oops, duh. Confused
PROG ON!!!
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:30
Not me -- just ask my wife.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:29

Including some good newcomers: Ciccada, Neal Morse (in some ways, Testimony 2 is his greatest for me), Luca Scherani, TEE, Lalle Larsson, Sunchild, Kotebel, Polite Refusal, Nick Magnus, Sky Architect, Unitopia, ARC, Kubusschnitt, David Minasian, Rational Diet, Helmet of Gnats, Nemo, Comedy of Errors, Accordo Dei Contrari, Abrete Gandul, When, La Coscienza di Zeno, Haken, Violeta de Outono, Inner Ear Brigade, I and Thou, Lifesigns, Henry Fool

Somewhat less recent: Miriodor, Tempano, Thieves' Kitchen, Cast, DFA, Abel Ganz, Martin Orford, Jannick Top, Big Big Train, 5bridgeS, The Box, Bernd Kistenmacher, Gösta Berlings Saga, Antique Seeking Nuns, Ageness, Cheer-Accident, Taylor's Universe, Beardfish, Panzerballett, Simon Steensland, Moonrise, Outer Limits, Moth Vellum, Hiromi, Viima (2006, as far back as I'll go)

Great second winds: Echolyn, Steven Wilson (not big on the last two from PT), Spock's Beard, It Bites, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero

They just keep being good: Steve Hackett, Peter Hammill, Mike Keneally, Kate Bush

javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 22:45
I would like to say that Beardfish is absolutely at the top of their game.  I am listening to their new album The Void nonstop in my car, and I highly recommend it.  When it first came out, I did not get it since it was so different.  It really hit me hard in 2013, and I think it could be their best.  I am a relatively new Beardfish fan, but they have become one of my favorites.

Frequency Drift is just amazing and their last two albums should be in everyone's playlist.  I think the new Riverside album is their best.  The new Spock's Beard album is their best since Neal left the band.  I think Kaipa deserves a mention for producing solid consistent output, and their last two albums are excellent.  Anubis has a new album coming out and their two previous efforts are excellent.

I will second many of the obvious choices like Anathema, Big Big Train, Echolyn, The Flower Kings, White Willow, Sigur Ros, Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett, Sylvan, Gazpacho, and Marillion.

Edited by javajeff - May 06 2013 at 22:56
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 23:45
Some bands will 'peak' more than once but for me I think IQ has never been better yet some think they peaked on Ever.
But I think their last 2 cd's are the best work they have done.
I also think Wobbler is reaching their stride with Rites At Dawn....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 02:41
Let's see...

- There's a bunch of bands who've been chugging on for ages and who previously hadn't impressed me (or, going by ratings, the rest of the prog community) very much who at some point in the past few years suddenly got locked on to a good thing. Galahad, Big Big Train, Gazpacho, Phideaux from Doomsday Afternoon onwards, Final Conflict - I'd say all those guys are hot commodities right now.

- IQ have had a run of absolutely incredible albums since Ever, although when your run of top-notch albums lasts for over a decade I think it's past time to stop calling it a "peak" and start calling it a "plateau". Likewise, whilst I think Discipline's latest is incredible, it isn't really a peak because they've never produced a bad album.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 06:07
popular: Big Big Train, Steven Wilson, Beardfish, Swans, Anathema, Katatonia, Marillion, loads of stoner/psychedelic/doom stuff

musically interesting: Discipline, Big Big Train, Anathema, Beardfish, Echolyn, Vespero
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Including some good newcomers: Ciccada, Neal Morse (in some ways, Testimony 2 is his greatest for me), Luca Scherani, TEE, Lalle Larsson, Sunchild, Kotebel, Polite Refusal, Nick Magnus, Sky Architect, Unitopia, ARC, Kubusschnitt, David Minasian, Rational Diet, Helmet of Gnats, Nemo, Comedy of Errors, Accordo Dei Contrari, Abrete Gandul, When, La Coscienza di Zeno, Haken, Violeta de Outono, Inner Ear Brigade, I and Thou, Lifesigns, Henry Fool

Somewhat less recent: Miriodor, Tempano, Thieves' Kitchen, Cast, DFA, Abel Ganz, Martin Orford, Jannick Top, Big Big Train, 5bridgeS, The Box, Bernd Kistenmacher, Gösta Berlings Saga, Antique Seeking Nuns, Ageness, Cheer-Accident, Taylor's Universe, Beardfish, Panzerballett, Simon Steensland, Moonrise, Outer Limits, Moth Vellum, Hiromi, Viima (2006, as far back as I'll go)

Great second winds: Echolyn, Steven Wilson (not big on the last two from PT), Spock's Beard, It Bites, Thinking Plague, Univers Zero

They just keep being good: Steve Hackett, Peter Hammill, Mike Keneally, Kate Bush

While i like a lot on our list Rational Diet folded a couple of years ago with the former members becoming Five Storey Ensemble and Archestra. Antique Seeking Nuns have renamed themselves as Sanguine Hum and released two very good albums

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 24 2013 at 07:08
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
novasolis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 01:52
I'm eagerly awaiting whatever Beardfish, Phideaux, and Moon Safari put out, I think they're all pretty popular. 
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 20:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

While i like a lot on our list Rational Diet folded a couple of years ago with the former members becoming Five Storey Ensemble and Archestra. Antique Seeking Nuns have renamed themselves as Sanguine Hum and released two very good albums

Nice, I was wondering why ASN hadn't followed up their wonderful 2009 album. The Weight of the World is quite good, a bit more "streamlined" but the melodies are still rich. Five-Storey Ensemble is almost as good.

Edited by King Crimson776 - May 24 2013 at 20:09
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2013 at 22:44
They say that Riverside is finally hitting their maturity, though I've loved everything they've released.  I'll second Big Big Train (especially English Electric Part 1).  Haken, also, is on the way up.  Their next album (I hope) is gonna be killer---I don't even use that word!!
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:12
Phideaux have been there since 2007.
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>