Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:55
Originally posted by peart_lee_lifeson peart_lee_lifeson wrote:

I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.
And, all the original members are no longer in the band ... except DG.
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:40
I actually don't like to think of a band as peaking or declining etc.  I just think of new material as change, unless of course new material isn't "new" material, but rather rehashed ideas.  But, to be honest, isn't that what most people are always complaining to hear more of?  "I hope their next album sounds like (insert previous album here).  I don't want to hear music that sounds too much like previous material a band put out.  Bring on change!
PROG ON!!!
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:35
I hate to say it, but Daniel Gildenlow's Pain of Salvation peaked around The Perfect Element / Remedy Lane in my opinion.  And, all the original members are no longer in the band.  But, I do still really enjoy their newer albums a lot.  Gildenlow has yet to disappoint me and his albums are the ones I look forward to the most.
PROG ON!!!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:57
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Hackett has never sounded better than he has on his last few albums.

Seconded. The guy just keeps getting better and better.
Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:01
I'll add Brandt Brauer Frick kind of electronic techno dance but with lots of traditional instruments & a minimalist jazz feel. Two great album's so far and a third one just released. 

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 00:48
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Some Norwegian art-rock has also been gaining a lot of fans and critical acclaim worldwide - you've mentioned White Willow, but I'm especially thinking of Motorpsycho, Jaga Jazzist and Susanne Sundfør.

Speaking of Norwegian Bands, I HAVE to mention Major Parkinson, one of my all time favorite bands. Seriously some of the most creative, fun, catchy song-based music I have heard. They have only released two albums so far but both are basically perfect, catchy from the first listen but still interesting dozens of listens later. They may have already peaked though, because their guitarist left and as far as I am concerned, he was a huge part of why they were awesome. So we'll see what the future has in store for them ...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 20:34
Back to OP:  Who's peaking right now?

SKE, The Amazing, Aranis, Factor Burzaco, My Brother the Wind, Kotebel, Daal, UneXpect, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Cicada, sleepmakeswaves, Sanhedrin, Votum, Egonon, Airbag, Methexis, and, of course, BIg Big Train.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:15
Ok, so as an update, I'm only two songs into "Pandora's Pinata" but so far, I'm really digging Diablo Swing Orchestra.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:28

Anytime you have an in-depth conversation about music with someone there's going to be disagreements, but the best thing I've learned is to agree to disagree and move on. Cool

Unless you and the other person happen to be in a band together trying to write the piece of music in question!

Although agreeing to disagree could yield some excellent results in that case; you both just play whatever you want and get an avant-garde masterpiece!  LOL
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:25
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Yes, music is a good topic for friendly conversation, seeing as no one's life or soul or well being happens to be at stake; though you might think they were, the way I tend to talk about it sometimes Embarrassed

Anytime you have an in-depth conversation about music with someone there's going to be disagreements, but the best thing I've learned is to agree to disagree and move on. Cool

Edited by Mirror Image - March 19 2013 at 23:26
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:20

Not much, aside from some lengthy gun-control debates and prog as usual (maybe I've missed some stuff; my visits have been sporadic of late)

Yeah, I'll stay away from the gun-control debates. It's about as bad as discussing religion with someone. I would rather talk about something that unites people like music, which sometimes even music debates can become quite heated, but I've learned one thing from all the arguments I've had with people about music: it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, people will like what they like and, in the end, who can blame them? Listen to music that gives you enjoyment and screw the rest of it that doesn't.

Yes, music is a good topic for friendly conversation, seeing as no one's life or soul or well being happens to be at stake; though you might think they were, the way I tend to talk about it sometimes Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:07

Not much, aside from some lengthy gun-control debates and prog as usual (maybe I've missed some stuff; my visits have been sporadic of late)

Yeah, I'll stay away from the gun-control debates. It's about as bad as discussing religion with someone. I would rather talk about something that unites people like music, which sometimes even music debates can become quite heated, but I've learned one thing from all the arguments I've had with people about music: it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says, people will like what they like and, in the end, who can blame them? Listen to music that gives you enjoyment and screw the rest of it that doesn't.

Edited by Mirror Image - March 19 2013 at 23:07
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:04
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Smile It seems that I tend to have a lot more confidence in my work than others. Although I do think my stuff is kinda mediocre, I at the same time can really appreciate what I'm doing. Sometimes I'll listen to a song of mine, for instance "Sing" from my first album, and think it's something really special, but at the same time see why some people have criticized it.

Quite the ego-booster, eh?

No, he's just confident and self-critical at the same time.  That's a good thing.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:03

Smile It seems that I tend to have a lot more confidence in my work than others. Although I do think my stuff is kinda mediocre, I at the same time can really appreciate what I'm doing. Sometimes I'll listen to a song of mine, for instance "Sing" from my first album, and think it's something really special, but at the same time see why some people have criticized it.

Quite the ego-booster, eh?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 23:02

Hey man!  Where have you been?

Hey! I've been pretty busy with so much music that I've finally managed to squeeze in some more time for progressive rock. What's been going on around here? Anything new?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:35

Hey! I've been pretty busy with so much music that I've finally managed to squeeze in some more time for progressive rock. What's been going on around here? Anything new?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:32

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Hackett has never sounded better than he has on his last few albums.

Seconded. The guy just keeps getting better and better.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:24
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I agree with most of the suggestions here and just wanted to add District 97. Most probably haven't peaked yet (only 2 albums up to now), but after an amazing debut, improved on that wonderfully with their second album. Lots more great material to come from them, I feel.
Ditto!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 22:22
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 21:35

I'd say my new album is the best I've done so me I guess

Clap Very smart choice. Love self-confidence--mainly because as a creative person it's hard for me to muster up sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>