Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttack of the Clones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which clone album is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [9.30%]
3 [6.98%]
9 [20.93%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
3 [6.98%]
12 [27.91%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.65%]
4 [9.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 00:25
I don't like any of those bands except for Tiles and Discipline. I'll use the Other option, my favorite clone band is Bi Kyo Ran, they are a clear clone band to King Crimson. As much as I always thought I would never like a clone band, I really love that band, their two first albums have great music, clone or not clone. Any fan of KC who doesn't mind a clone band should definitely check them out.

Citizen Cane that was mentioned before is another good example indeed, but I don't listen to them anymore.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 00:49
Definately not going to vote here, as most of the bands/albums listed are so good and incorporate more than enough unique elements to make them very worthwhile.

To write them off as mere `clones' is not only dismissive of their merits, but also borderline offensive.

OK if you find them them `clones' to your ears, Doctor, I'm not having a go at you personally!

I think there's a lot of dismissal of these albums/artists by many unfairly.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 18 2013 at 00:49
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:09
My intent certainly wasn't to offend, nor do I dismiss these albums at all.  Quite the contrary, I enjoy each and every one of these albums, a few, like the Discipline and Starcastle albums are among my favorites.  I was also not necessarily calling the band themselves clones, but merely that they made at least one album (those mentioned in the poll) which were close enough in sound to the "parent" band that they could be considered clone albums.  And as far as I'm concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing an album in the style of your favorite band.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:29
I think your use of words is wring Doc. Clone means an exact copy to me, identical in every detail. That is why I don't like the term clone bands, it's lazy. (Not you but the term) Surprised to see Wobbler there.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:32
I just liked naming the poll after one of my favorite Star Wars movies.  So shoot me.  Ouch

Face it, "Attack of the albums that sort of sound like other bands" just doesn't have the same feel.  Tongue
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:37
My fave is Discipline.
The only genuine clone act here, as I see it anyway, is The Watch. I kinda get the others here too - as they all show signs of their idols, yet with The Watch - it's taken too far. Don't get me wrong - they are all brilliant musicians, I just can't find anything original about their work. Nothing that says: Hey it's us! Instead we get Gabriel vocals, Collins' drumming, Hackett guitar and some Banks' inspired keyboard sections. Too much imo.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:39
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I just liked naming the poll after one of my favorite Star Wars movies.  So shoot me.  Ouch

Face it, "Attack of the albums that sort of sound like other bands" just doesn't have the same feel.  Tongue

Big smile

Fair enough. It is a good poll tiltle and good thread. We'll call it poetic license shall we?Handshake
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 07:47
^LOL

That was pretty cool, Snowie.  But he's shooting over my head.  Wink

Yeah, poetic license.  Obviously, most of these are not exact duplicates, but I think they all sound pretty similar to the bands in parentheses. 

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 08:08
I'm sorry if it came across like I was attacking a bit, Doctor, not meant to be that way at all. Besides, I'm all for as many Star Wars references as possible!

But I did get a good laugh when you listed Realm as one of the choices! I bought their first album `Time Tales' (I think that's what it's called off the top of my head?) on vinyl reissue three or more years, and I'd never listened to it. I went to a local record fair on Sunday and came across that same reissue and thought `Oh yeah, forgot about that one.....'

But WOW their singer sounds like Jon Anderson lol! Some truly dazzling rapid-fire synth playing on that one too!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 08:20
I've always wanted to get Time Tales, but have never been able to find it.  Love The Path.  The keyboard work is pretty awesome, but the Anderson like vocals and lyrics make me think Yes every time I hear it. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:28
I don't know all of them but I voted for Glass Hammer's If, great album, I don't mind it sounding like Yes.
RPWL's God Has Failed would be another strong contender (Pink Floyd clone).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:09
I don't mind it sounding like Yes either.  Brilliant album.  I thought of RPWL when I was making this poll, but the albums I have by them (their later stuff) sound more inspired by Floyd than really sounding like Floyd.  I haven't heard God Has Failed. 
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:27
Discipline: Unfolded Like Staircase, although I don't think it's Generator's clone. Certain similarity is perceptible in Parmenter's expressive vocal, but that's all.

On the other hand, the exemplary case of Yes clone is obviously Starcastle... although, there was even more perfect one, at that with Roger Dean's paintings on cover - namely Druid.

Another suggestion - Big Big Train: English Electric (Part One) - very "Genesisoid" album. But who wants to listen to a kind of Genesis clone, I'd suggest him a band called Fireballet:
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 08:33
Thanks Gandalf for the Druid link.  Quite liked that song and may have to investigate.  Will also be checking out Citizen Cain that others mentioned. 
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 11:41
Starcastle for me. Have liked them since seeing them open for Gentle Giant back in 1977. They were great live and that first album is quite good.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:31
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Starcastle for me. Have liked them since seeing them open for Gentle Giant back in 1977. They were great live and that first album is quite good.
That must have been some concert-i love The Missing Piece very much-did GG play much from it?
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:08
As much as I like Unfolded Like Staircase, I feel in love with To Shatter All Accord... that would be my choice

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 14:10
 voting for Starcastle - I love that album

I agree with the OP regarding Gryphon

Their first few albums are all original but 'Treason' does try to copy  'Close to the Edge' 

Prog On!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 14:33
I had to decide between my two Michigan compadres and decided to go with Tiles.  Second choice would have been Discipline.  Matthew Parmenter is a big Peter Hammill fan and I do think that he is quite influenced by him. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12