Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg songs that were never played live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:59
This  is quite easy with some of the more recent bands, White Willow havent toured since 2006 so nothing of their most recent album, Terminal Twilight, has been played. We could actually end up with a very long list of modern bands that havent played several tracks, at least, live.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:08
Recently I wondered if Vangelis ever performed any of the Blade Runner tracks live, and I couldn't find any mention of it. Very strange in my book. If I had done the score, I'd have flogged it into the ground; I'd still be doing Blade Runner tours. Yet he'll do Chariots of Fire endlessly. Did he ever get how much people love Blade Runner? Maybe working with Ridley Scott left a bad taste in his mouth? I don't know the story there, but if ever a film soundtrack (let alone a brilliant one like Blade Runner) was mismanaged by the artist himself to the point of incompetency, surely this was the one. The Vesper edition is still obligatory, for the key tracks that still haven't been released by Vangelis yet.

Edited by jude111 - March 19 2013 at 18:13
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 02:52
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Recently I wondered if Vangelis ever performed any of the Blade Runner tracks live, and I couldn't find any mention of it. Very strange in my book. If I had done the score, I'd have flogged it into the ground; I'd still be doing Blade Runner tours. Yet he'll do Chariots of Fire endlessly. Did he ever get how much people love Blade Runner? Maybe working with Ridley Scott left a bad taste in his mouth? I don't know the story there, but if ever a film soundtrack (let alone a brilliant one like Blade Runner) was mismanaged by the artist himself to the point of incompetency, surely this was the one. The Vesper edition is still obligatory, for the key tracks that still haven't been released by Vangelis yet.

Vangelis rarely performs live. Usually its some very large one off event like Mythodea.

On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 03:16
I dont know, but i would bet Crimson have never attempted "The Devil's Triangle" live.

"edit:"
But i was wrong :

Edited by tamijo - March 20 2013 at 03:34
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Rush has never played Madrigal live, and I believe they only played Fountain of Lamneth twice because of poor crowd reaction.

I doubt that Yes have played their Madrigal either, although I could be wrong. I'd lay money that they have never played Circus of Heaven though.

They have played COH. Wembley Arena 1978. I remember Tommy Vance playing that show on the Friday rock show. That set really got me into Yes. COH on the other hand left me not knowing whether to laugh or cry...
Probably cry.

Thinking about it, I was probably at that Wembley Arena gig, I must have erased that song from my memory.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

[QUOTE=jude111]On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.

Maybe you're right. It's more of a cult favorite perhaps. I've found that people who love Vangelis point to albums like the ones you mentioned, while there are others (like me) who are more into the film and its music than anything else Vangelis did. (It does seem so unlike everything else he's done, although one can find individual tracks that are similar, such as those first two tracks on The City, and Abraham's Theme from Chariots.)

Believe it or not, alot of the early dubstep artists were influenced by the the film and its score. Makes sense if you consider that dubstep was originally pretty dark and painted images of dystopic urban landscapes. (In an interview, Burial mentioned that he's obsessed by the scene where Deckard is sitting eating in the rain; but he went on to say that overall he's not nearly as obsessed by that film as many other dubstep artists are, preferring Alien and Aliens instead.)

Edited by jude111 - March 20 2013 at 15:22
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:54
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

There's a list here of songs which Genesis never or rarely played live:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Genesis-466/Genesis-Live-Performances-1.htm

Very interesting, and apparently some very good songs were never played live, like After The Ordeal, Mad Man Moon and Blood On The Rooftops. Shocked
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:29
Watercolour Days was never played 'live' by Clouds, in fact, most of the Clouds recordings were never played 'live'. Because of recording techniques and overdubbing, this must apply to an awful lot of tracks that bands played on record only.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:39

Curiously enough, while "Poles Apart" was played live pretty often (and a few people here at PA have said it's one of their all-time Floyd favorites), it's never gotten a proper official release. It's not on PULSE, and it's not on any of Gilmour's live releases (Gdask, Albert Hall, etc.).

Edited by jude111 - March 25 2013 at 21:46
fusaka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:40
- Big Big Train haven't played a single concert in a long while, so pretty much all their best material hasn't been played live.
- IQ has played everything off their official albums since Ever, apart from Shooting Angels on The Seventh House (not their best track, so no big loss).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:14

[QUOTE=jude111]On rare occasions that I ever converse with people on music and Vangelis pops into the conversation its actually the Albedo and Heaven and Hell albums that are well remembered. Blade Runner has gathered some momentum thanks to the film but I'm not convinced its the potential commercial cash cow you are suggesting. Its actually a very bitty soundtrack compared to Chariots Of Fire (original release with the suite on side two not the recent reissue) or the series of soundtracks he did with a French film maker in the seventies (Apocalypse Des Animaux , Le Fate Sauvage  etc). There is certainly a love for that film though which I share.

Maybe you're right. It's more of a cult favorite perhaps. I've found that people who love Vangelis point to albums like the ones you mentioned, while there are others (like me) who are more into the film and its music than anything else Vangelis did. (It does seem so unlike everything else he's done, although one can find individual tracks that are similar, such as those first two tracks on The City, and Abraham's Theme from Chariots.)

Believe it or not, alot of the early dubstep artists were influenced by the the film and its score. Makes sense if you consider that dubstep was originally pretty dark and painted images of dystopic urban landscapes. (In an interview, Burial mentioned that he's obsessed by the scene where Deckard is sitting eating in the rain; but he went on to say that overall he's not nearly as obsessed by that film as many other dubstep artists are, preferring Alien and Aliens instead.)

Alien is probably my second favourite film after Blade Runner. Ridlley Scott could happily leave sc-fi alone after making those two while others tried and failed to catch him up.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by fusaka fusaka wrote:

- Big Big Train haven't played a single concert in a long while, so pretty much all their best material hasn't been played live.
- IQ has played everything off their official albums since Ever, apart from Shooting Angels on The Seventh House (not their best track, so no big loss).

Interesting about IQ. I reckon they've also played everything off the first two albums. Nomzamo would almost certainly be their least performed album (although its not bad)
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 17:42

Alien is probably my second favourite film after Blade Runner. Ridlley Scott could happily leave sc-fi alone after making those two while others tried and failed to catch him up.

I was really disappointed in Prometheus; I don't get the adoration many have for that film. On another note, Scott's apparently going to do a sequel to Blade Runner.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:36
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

That's actually more difficult than I thought. Umm... Rush's Rivendell, maybe?
I thought Tool would have a few, but I can't find any--hell, I think they've even played Intermission.

Rush has never played Losing It live Unhappy and  I don't believe they've played Nocturne live either Disapprove

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - March 21 2013 at 19:37
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:42

I was really disappointed in Prometheus; I don't get the adoration many have for that film. On another note, Scott's apparently going to do a sequel to Blade Runner.

Prometheus is one of the better sci-films of recent years imo but it will always suffer by comparison to those other 2 films

I wasn't aware about the sequel to Blade Runner. My first thought is ''don't do it!!''
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:44
Have Gentle Giant performed Dog's Life live?  I don't know of any disc, at least, with that one.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:04
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't know if Rush ever did The Necromancer or The Fountain of Lamneth live.  Neither of these songs show up on any of their live albums but maybe they played them live back in the day.  My go to answer for this question used to be The Camera Eye, since they had never played that live before, but that was taken care of with their recent playing the entire Moving Pictures live tour.

I saw Rush in 1981 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. It was the very first date on their Moving Pictures tour, and they certainly played The Camera Eye during the show. They had visuals for the song, too.

The only song they didn't play from Moving Pictures that concert was Witch Hunt.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I don't know if Rush ever did The Necromancer or The Fountain of Lamneth live.  Neither of these songs show up on any of their live albums but maybe they played them live back in the day.  My go to answer for this question used to be The Camera Eye, since they had never played that live before, but that was taken care of with their recent playing the entire Moving Pictures live tour.

I saw Rush in 1981 at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo. It was the very first date on their Moving Pictures tour, and they certainly played The Camera Eye during the show. They had visuals for the song, too.

The only song they didn't play from Moving Pictures that concert was Witch Hunt.

Pretty sure they played Camera Eye when isaw them in.....can'tbremeber...I rthink ....Birmingham on the Grace Under Pressuer tour but could have  been Lndon Hold Your Fire
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:21
Sorry   late  been drinking
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:22
Goodnight