Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock Groups In Your High School?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Groups In Your High School?
    Posted: March 19 2013 at 11:31
Thought this might be kind of fun-

When you went to high school, did you see any rock bands play there at the Dances, or were there just DJs?
    Though i went to high school a long time ago (1976-1980), i have fond recollections of several bands i saw there, and all the concerts were good ones, and the highlights of my high school years!

I saw-

Rose
The Stampeders
Moxy
Avalon
Madcats
Consilium
Teaze
100 Proof

Who were you lucky enough to see, prog or otherwise, at your high school?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 11:53
I'm homeschooled, so the only bands in my school is my band
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:02
When I was in high school (mid 80s), parties were usually DJ-driven.  Very occasionally, a student band would play for a school assembly (seeing guys I knew perform "Message in a Bottle" for the school was probably a key event in my desire to play in a band myself -- I was sooo awestruck and wanted to be up there too. Incidentally, one of those guys later became the drummer for the Goo Goo Dolls!), but school dances were all about listening to records playing the greatest hits of the day ("Super Freak" was my favorite).

However, in college, band parties were much more common.  These involved heavy drinking and that always went well with live music.  They usually came in three forms:  a) southern rock bands playing "woo hooo" music, b) skinny, artsy REM-like bands (for the intellectual crowds; REM was only starting to get national attention), or if you were lucky, c) funk bands.  I say "lucky" because although I wasn't really into funk then, those always created the most fun atmosphere, more people dancing, more people screwing, all that jazz.

As a side note, it's worth mentioning that the grunge explosion seemed to happen almost precisely at the moment I graduated from college.  The difference in parties before and after I graduated was astounding.  Before I graduated, it was Bobby Brown.  After I graduated, Pearl Jam.  Same people dancing.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 19 2013 at 12:05
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:08
There were these two bands in my high school that played a sort of extreme metal music. I thought it sucked Censored . The video with a lot of freaks going freaky to their music in the dark at a concert delivered zero conviction. Now that I see how many people (let alone those here on PA) give so much respect to extreme metal, I found that it is really not my place to make such judgment about their music.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:17
I never went to any dances or parties when I was in high school, but I am pretty certain that they were just DJ driven.  I don't really remember anyone having bands that actually played gigs while we were in high school. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:33
I high schooled '79-'83.  I was too much of a prog freak then to take any interest in the dances.  I was getting to attend shows at venues I was too young to be at primarily thanks to relatives and older friends being prog fans.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 12:59
A couple of these guys went to my high school way back in the late 70s, early 80s.  Not sure if either of them is still in the band and they play metal so I never got into them anyway.  An early version of the group played at our high school graduation including a really long version of "Freebird" (not surprising for 1981).
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 13:56

I went to Grammar School so rock and pop music was frowned upon, we had a school orchestra and had to endure Handel's Messiah sung by 999 school kids who'd rather be somewhere else.

At University it was different - we had gigs in the Student Union bar once or twice a week for three years so the number of bands seen was quite a lot (this was 78-82 so prog was thin on the ground by then) - of those I can remember: The Enid, XTC, Wire, The Fall, The Cure, Killing Joke, U2, Comsat Angels, Duran Duran, The Tourists, The Pretenders, Squeeze, Dire Straits, Sonja Kristina.

The two gigs I would have loved to have seen at the old alamata but were a few years before my time were 14th February 1970 - Genesis, supported by Nick Drake and 13th October 1973 - Family's farewell gig.

Ones that occurred after I left - The Residence, The Smiths, Wonderstuff, Pop Will Eat Itself, Sisters of Mercy

Edited by Dean - March 19 2013 at 13:57
What?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:49
When i was at college, Doug and The Slugs played there fairly often (early 1980s)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 07:40
I'm French, so we don't have any "Dance party" at the end of the year, except for my high school... for one time.
And this only time, the band playing was some metal band which I don't remember the name. They were good, but not adapted to the taste of the majority of the teenagers.
After all, we just elected the Queen and King for the "Belle de Mai" ("The Beautiful Girl of May" or something like that). So, a couple of thrash metal assaults couldn't be the best soundtrack for that!

Then, there were various bands in my area playing some gigs two or three times per year, for those being lucky.
The mid-sized town of La Garde (south of France, near Toulon, 50 000 inhabitants) organized a small festival for local bands, and I saw some friends performing as Die Glaucken Pulpen (covering alternative rock), Heavy Spell (thrash metal), PH7 (punk rock)... Not to mention even more short-living bands doing one or two gigs, and then disbanding.
I think only the guys of Heavy Spell continued playing music, recording some CDs under the moniker Eon (I can give links for those interested into thrash/hardcore/neo metal).
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 13:18
I have the same predicament as smartpatrol; although, most of the bands that would play for high schools here aren't really that great. Probably DJs, most of the time.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 13:54
I was lucky in high school-though all the bands i saw were Canadian (I'm from Canada), some had international reputations, like Moxy, who were big in Texas and Europe, and Teaze, who did a sold out tour of Japan and recorded a live album there.

Edited by presdoug - March 20 2013 at 13:55
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:43
I was at school with Adrian Borland who was in a band called The Sound, who were a fairly popular indie band in their time. He did a gig in our school hall with a band made up of teachers as support. There was a minor riot and the headmaster banned any future gigs. Cry

Adrian sadly committed suicide a few years ago.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 07:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I was at school with Adrian Borland who was in a band called The Sound, who were a fairly popular indie band in their time. He did a gig in our school hall with a band made up of teachers as support. There was a minor riot and the headmaster banned any future gigs. Cry

Adrian's death was sad news, may he rest in peace. Jeopardy is one of my favourite post-punk albums.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Adrian's death was sad news, may he rest in peace. Jeopardy is one of my favourite post-punk albums.
Sad indeed. His gravestone is in the same row as my parents', it's looking a bit neglected these days.
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:44
There was this band which no-one had heard of which used to come up from Sydney to play school dances. My friends and I used to debate how to pronounce the band's name: "Is it Inkses?" My chemistry classes taught me that "In excess" is the proper pronunciation of INXS.

They were followed by this little band called Midnight Oil, and later still, a band called Flowers which eventually changed its name to Icehouse.

(I grew up in a particularly impoverished part of Australia called Windale, yet at the next suburb along - Gateshead - the Golden Eagle Hotel used to see performances by Andy Gibb.)
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 22:09
There were a couple groups of indie kids that played shows.

One guy from my school started a shoegaze band with his brother and they got signed recently, after they graduated.

They're really good.

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 22:09
I went to a Christian school so we had some semi-well known mainstream-sounding bands lead chapel occasionally and stuff..  Most people seemed to think they were good, but it was physically painful for me after a while.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:44
Deathcore.... it's all deathcore
 Post Reply Post Reply