Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKid A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which track is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [22.50%]
1 [2.50%]
6 [15.00%]
11 [27.50%]
1 [2.50%]
4 [10.00%]
1 [2.50%]
5 [12.50%]
1 [2.50%]
1 [2.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

One of my current bandmates is a rabid fan of Kid A and In Rainbows and is pretty adamant about the fact that the worst Radiohead album is ... OK Computer.

I can see that. He probably digs the experimental stuff more. OK Computer is a monster, don't get me wrong, but Radiohead really reinvented themselves in the new century, basically stripped all of their old rules and tricks, and changed their career around. The past five albums have been key sources of innovation and experimentation for Pop Music, and I'm just fortunate that we've had the pleasure to listen to them, because they really are incredible records.

I see Kid A as a sequel to OK Computer - and a brilliant one at that. I can't imagine enjoying one without the other. OK Computer is a fin-de-siecle work, charting the end of an age, and the world on the cusp of a new, virtual reality. Pyramid Song is key: "I jumped in the river... All my lovers were there with me, all my past and futures... There was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt." OK, computer. You win. Erasing oneself by escaping into virtual reality. What's interesting is that in Radiohead's scenario, it's not robots forcing us into virtual reality (a la Matrix), but man himself willingly seeking the blessed relief from the disapointments recounted in "Let Down."

A philosopher has published a terrifying book, arguing that the statistical odds are that we are all probably computer programs. I think that Radiohead's work expresses these anxieties. Radiohead has continued to explore this theme about erasure ("The Eraser") beyond Kid A/Amensiac; see, for example, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi: "Why should I stay here? Why should I stay?... / I follow to the end of the earth and fall off ... / I'll hit the bottom and escape / Weird fishes." (Which sounds a lot like "we're fishes.")

It's no accident that "Everything In Its Right Place" was featured prominently in the sci-fi film "Vanilla Sky," in which Tom Cruise's character is living a virtual world, without his knowing it.

Edited by jude111 - March 26 2013 at 22:55
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 23:02

I'm a huge fan of Radiohead. I started getting into them when Pablo Honey came out (which I liked a lot, and thought that the band was clearly going places; this is a better album than normally given credit for, although clearly it's dated now). Concerning In Rainbows, this album is over-hyped. I get why. The marketing strategy, the pay-what-you-want - it was huge, and scored the band all kinds of respect. I get all that. But I just don't consider the album itself top tier Radiohead. It certainly has some awesome songs. It also has some really annoying ones. I'll take the best songs off of Hail to the Thief over the best songs on In Rainbows. And I think The Eraser is a better album than both.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:54
How to Dissappear Completely...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:25
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

One of my current bandmates is a rabid fan of Kid A and In Rainbows and is pretty adamant about the fact that the worst Radiohead album is ... OK Computer.

I can see that. He probably digs the experimental stuff more. OK Computer is a monster, don't get me wrong, but Radiohead really reinvented themselves in the new century, basically stripped all of their old rules and tricks, and changed their career around. The past five albums have been key sources of innovation and experimentation for Pop Music, and I'm just fortunate that we've had the pleasure to listen to them, because they really are incredible records.

I see Kid A as a sequel to OK Computer - and a brilliant one at that. I can't imagine enjoying one without the other. OK Computer is a fin-de-siecle work, charting the end of an age, and the world on the cusp of a new, virtual reality. Pyramid Song is key: "I jumped in the river... All my lovers were there with me, all my past and futures... There was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt." OK, computer. You win. Erasing oneself by escaping into virtual reality. What's interesting is that in Radiohead's scenario, it's not robots forcing us into virtual reality (a la Matrix), but man himself willingly seeking the blessed relief from the disapointments recounted in "Let Down."

A philosopher has published a terrifying book, arguing that the statistical odds are that we are all probably computer programs. I think that Radiohead's work expresses these anxieties. Radiohead has continued to explore this theme about erasure ("The Eraser") beyond Kid A/Amensiac; see, for example, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi: "Why should I stay here? Why should I stay?... / I follow to the end of the earth and fall off ... / I'll hit the bottom and escape / Weird fishes." (Which sounds a lot like "we're fishes.")

It's no accident that "Everything In Its Right Place" was featured prominently in the sci-fi film "Vanilla Sky," in which Tom Cruise's character is living a virtual world, without his knowing it.

Wow, that's so true. I'm having an epiphany right now man. Smile

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - March 29 2013 at 16:26
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:25
Are you considering Kid A and Amnesiac as one whole package? 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 17:22

Are you considering Kid A and Amnesiac as one whole package? 

I do. I don't know if we're supposed to or not... Some see it as like a B-sides collection, or discarded songs... If Kid A is like one re-born in a kind of matrix or virtual reality, then Amnesiac is about the 'amnesia' or forgetting the past...? Haha. Maybe it wasn't quite that thought out as I'm making it seem. I don't think Yorke was trying to make concept albums like DSOTM, but I do think he had some kind of singular vision that he's been following...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123