Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPetition to get Jon Anderson back into Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:11
Implying Yes is musically relevant at all these days, with or without him.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 22:05
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I happen to agree with you but let's not get all contemporaneous here: all you need for relevance is sincerity in my book (and Yes ain't had that for over 30 years, hence my comparing them to that of a franchise)

I'm inferring you think old men in prog are irrelevant, which is at best fatuous.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 23:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I happen to agree with you but let's not get all contemporaneous here: all you need for relevance is sincerity in my book (and Yes ain't had that for over 30 years, hence my comparing them to that of a franchise)

I'm inferring you think old men in prog are irrelevant, which is at best fatuous.

Exactly, also called the recency fallacy.  I watched John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain live last year and there were many others in my age group (mid 20s) in the audience.  Please don't try to tell us we were watching something 'irrelevant' just because some of their pieces go back 30 years.  They are wizards who've got better instead of getting rusty with time and many young musicians would find it hard to match the depth of their repertoire. 

As for Yes, they are a touring machine now and have yet to convince me they are truly committed to recording new material.  Not that they have to, nothing wrong with that if they don't have much anything of significance to say in a new album anymore.   But that makes the consideration of band composition a little insignificant.  Jon Davison is a good singer and since Yes are tribut-ing themselves for all practical purposes, why not.  

Edited by rogerthat - March 23 2013 at 23:20
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 23:29
I love Yes and Rush and Zeppelin and Who and Stones.......but guys, all of yas......it really is time to do something else. 

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 08:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I love Yes and Rush and Zeppelin and Who and Stones.......but guys, all of yas......it really is time to do something else. 

Rush is still good.  Ged can't sing anymore, but they can still rock.

The Who still sound ok live, but I was over them in the late 80s.  

Zep has kept their legacy, as far as I'm concerned.  Their reunion show was excellent and Plant really has grown as an artist every decade since he began.

As far as Yes goes, I'm just amazed at how these dudes have the energy to live on the road and play these same old long-ass songs every night.  Not to mention, the people going to see them.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 14:32
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I love Yes - I love almost everything they've done - regardless of who is on vocals - but I have been spending time with Olias of Sunhillow lately, and, damn it, I miss his voice in Yes.  Even if the recent 'Fly From Here' was a 4 star album for me (see, fanboy.....Embarrassed) - it probably would've been done differently with Anderson's input, and gained more respect than it does...........
Olias is a journey into a fantastical place, an amazingly ambitious conceptual work conceived and performed by one man - not bad at all for a lead vocalist.....................
Olias of Sunhillow is in my opinion his best, and certainly his most progressive [but not similar to Yes works at all  ]l
.if you are in the right mood this is going to blow you away .Smile

I never understood the love for this album. Yuck.

I'm still trying to appreciate it.
I'm not sure if I ever will.
BTW, I don't like any of Jon A's other solo albums at all, whether it be with Vangelis, or purely solo.  Olias is not an easy album to digest - I've probably listened to it more in the last month than I have in the last 20-odd years I've had the record - something just clicks - and it must be that I'm missing his voice in Yes. 
Benoit put in a lot of hard work and gave nothing but a great performance with his vocals - I haven't heard Davison in Yes yet, but he too has a top, Jon Anderson-like voice.  But Jon Anderson, they're not. 
I doubt J.A. will ever return to Yes, but the Yes-machine will still crank on.  It's only when Rick W returns for the 2639th time and brings his vocal buddy Ashley Holt it may go all pear-shaped.......

From what I heard from his other solo albums: most of the stuff I don't like either.  I do like quite some stuff he did with Vangelis though, but I get the impression that Vangelis is the main composer in their duo projects.

I don't think Jon or Rick will ever return to Yes on a more permanent basis. Both had health problems which keeps them from the long tours with Yes. They tour together but that is probably much less intense. Maybe sometimes there will be reunions, that's another thing.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 14:39
Did Yes produce any good albums / a regular output of albums recently ? Seems to me more of a live nostalgia act ...

Unrelated note : Thanks KC for not turning into that
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 00:14
Jon Anderson should not go back to Yes.  

Survival and Other Stories is his best album since Change We Must, and the other things he's put out like Open are great.  He's releasing Olias Pt 2 sometime in the next few years too.

Edited by Earendil - March 26 2013 at 00:21
doublerainbow1975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 05:54
I think Jon being on his own has been great for him. He seems free to pursue his own projects and collaborations with artists, and doesn't care about the big label - or selling out arenas.

I have seen YES many times, but Jon's solo show last year was as powerful as any of those shows - because it was small and because he brings you right there - to that wow moment, with just a few chords and his voice.

His vocalized version of the WURM section in Starship Trooper was unbelievable.

With a little bit of 'scat singing' he covers all of the melodic layers that the bass guitar and key occupy.

I guess I say let Jon be Jon and let him keep exploring  . . .  he is a force all his own.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:05
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Why would you try get attention for a band that is 30 years past their expiration date? 

Give your attention to better bands.

Bands that are doing something different, and just as good ... not necessarily better!

But if the context means that yesterday's were good and today's is trash, then your line would be very incorrect in my book! There is just as much good work going on today as YES then!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 15:47
Originally posted by doublerainbow1975 doublerainbow1975 wrote:

I think Jon being on his own has been great for him. He seems free to pursue his own projects and collaborations with artists, and doesn't care about the big label - or selling out arenas.

I have seen YES many times, but Jon's solo show last year was as powerful as any of those shows - because it was small and because he brings you right there - to that wow moment, with just a few chords and his voice.

His vocalized version of the WURM section in Starship Trooper was unbelievable.

With a little bit of 'scat singing' he covers all of the melodic layers that the bass guitar and key occupy.

I guess I say let Jon be Jon and let him keep exploring  . . .  he is a force all his own.

I really agree with this.  I haven't seen Yes, but I saw Jon on his solo tour, and it was wonderful.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 16:31
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

As far as Yes goes, I'm just amazed at how these dudes have the energy to live on the road and play these same old long-ass songs every night.  Not to mention, the people going to see them.  

Well said zuma,

Putting aside the YES, JA polls for a second, having read some comments here, I would humbly submit:

To all the young fascists here who seem qualified to tell the musicians in YES what to do, I have a question:
Have you championed your lives so excellently that you are now capable to tell grown world-class artists what to do with their lives???  I have a simple suggestion for you:  If you don't enjoy what YES are doing these days, don't buy their records or go to their concerts.  I doubt the band, YES(or anybody else really...) gives a rat's bottom what you think anyway....  Right...

As far as the petition for Jon, I quote part of it:

"By continuing to tour as "YES" with other lead singers, the band is misleading its fan base and tarnishing their legacy...."

Right, I am sure this will have a positive effect on Steve, Chris & Alan and will also help Jon Davison & Geoff, by telling them they are tarnishing the legacy.  Brilliant! This is exactly what is needed.  Chris & Steve & Alan like any seasoned
VERY sucessful band leaders, have large ego's and are probably laughing at or ignoring the clueless super-fans who submitted this poll.

This poll smells like something that the self-annointed YES elite fans at alt.music.yes would concoct,  Good luck with that lads...

To qualify my position, YES are my fav band of all time all I would love it dearly if Jon Anderson rejoined them once more., though I do have a question for the JA worshipers and current YES haters....

If we were to have celebrated ABW&H(I saw the tour and enjoyed it) that means we should accept YES without Squire(for me that sucked big time...).  Why can't you enjoy YES without JA???   JA is not blameless in this whole mess, by the way...

For my part I haved loved every YES tour since 1977(though the Trevor Rabin stuff has not aged well...)
What YES is doing now, touring those three particular records in totality, is pretty freekin amazing.

Why can't we all just get a Long Island Iced Tea???Wink

I can't wait for a DVD of the current tour.  By the way, the Fly from Here suite, was awesome in concert last summer,
Jon Davison is a real gem, stop the hatin and start appreciatin!
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 16:35
Jon has to get in to get out, getting up then getting down hasn't been working out...

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 26 2013 at 16:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 17:03
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Well said zuma,

Putting aside the YES, JA polls for a second, having read some comments here, I would humbly submit:

To all the young fascists here who seem qualified to tell the musicians in YES what to do, I have a question:
Have you championed your lives so excellently that you are now capable to tell grown world-class artists what to do with their lives???  I have a simple suggestion for you:  If you don't enjoy what YES are doing these days, don't buy their records or go to their concerts.  I doubt the band, YES(or anybody else really...) gives a rat's bottom what you think anyway....  Right...

"By continuing to tour as "YES" with other lead singers, the band is misleading its fan base and tarnishing their legacy...."

Right, I am sure this will have a positive effect on Steve, Chris & Alan and will also help Jon Davison & Geoff, by telling them they are tarnishing the legacy.  Brilliant! This is exactly what is needed.  Chris & Steve & Alan like any seasoned
VERY sucessful band leaders, have large ego's and are probably laughing at or ignoring the clueless super-fans who submitted this poll.

This poll smells like something that the self-annointed YES elite fans at alt.music.yes would concoct,  Good luck with that lads...

To qualify my position, YES are my fav band of all time all I would love it dearly if Jon Anderson rejoined them once more., though I do have a question for the JA worshipers and current YES haters....

If we were to have celebrated ABW&H(I saw the tour and enjoyed it) that means we should accept YES without Squire(for me that sucked big time...).  Why can't you enjoy YES without JA???   JA is not blameless in this whole mess, by the way...

For my part I haved loved every YES tour since 1977(though the Trevor Rabin stuff has not aged well...)
What YES is doing now, touring those three particular records in totality, is pretty freekin amazing.

I can't wait for a DVD of the current tour.  By the way, the Fly from Here suite, was awesome in concert last summer,

Much needed.  Hopefully the band regards the petition as a silly attempt by fans to live in the past, or something along those lines.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 22:52

Well said zuma,

Agree completely.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 09:48
I just wrote a long post that the forum decided wasn't "authorized", so I lost it all.

I'll just sum up quickly then:  I personally have zero interest in a bunch of senior citizens reliving their glory days (albeit, in a slow and plodding fasion) to a crowd of other senior citizens who can't move on from the past.........but none of them care what I think, and rightfully so.  The petition is going to get zero notice from the band or Anderson, so I think it's pretty silly and a waste of time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:28
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I just wrote a long post that the forum decided wasn't "authorized", so I lost it all.

I'll just sum up quickly then:  I personally have zero interest in a bunch of senior citizens reliving their glory days (albeit, in a slow and plodding fasion) to a crowd of other senior citizens who can't move on from the past.........but none of them care what I think, and rightfully so.  The petition is going to get zero notice from the band or Anderson, so I think it's pretty silly and a waste of time.

A Ha!   God got you and deleted your little(prolly pretty big, actually..) rant.Approve

LOL

I know you don't dig current YES and you'd rather see a 70 year old Robert Fripp hang upsidedown and jam with Phillip Glass, fine.  I just have a question for you since we are both guitar players...

What chance do you or I have of playing Awaken at even the "slow and plodding fashion" you allude to?

Oh, also, have you ever contemplated an Avatar update?Wink

Love ya!Tongue

Dennis

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:32
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Edited another long raving rant by DennisMoore....

Agree completely.

You could have just said "rogerthat".
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:39

A Ha!   God got you and deleted your little(prolly pretty big, actually..) rant.Approve

LOL

I know you don't dig current YES and you'd rather see a 70 year old Robert Fripp hang upsidedown and jam with Phillip Glass, fine.  I just have a question for you since we are both guitar players...

What chance do you or I have of playing Awaken at even the "slow and plodding fashion" you allude to?

Oh, also, have you ever contemplated an Avatar update?Wink

Love ya!Tongue

Dennis

As I said, I have great respect for the members of Yes, especially Steve Howe.  He was a huge influence on my guitar playing........to the point that I could probably pull off a very passable (though certainly not better or even as good) version of Awaken.  But maybe I'm being immodest Embarrassed

As to Fripp and Phillip Glass........no thanks.  I'd love to see Fripp with a new version of King Crimson though Big smile  (as long as it wasn't a nostalgia act trotting out aging past members......Fripp himself being the exception, since he's aged much better than most prog rock stars of the past).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 13:14

As I said, I have great respect for the members of Yes, especially Steve Howe.  He was a huge influence on my guitar playing........to the point that I could probably pull off a very passable (though certainly not better or even as good) version of Awaken.  But maybe I'm being immodest Embarrassed

As to Fripp and Phillip Glass........no thanks.  I'd love to see Fripp with a new version of King Crimson though Big smile  (as long as it wasn't a nostalgia act trotting out aging past members......Fripp himself being the exception, since he's aged much better than most prog rock stars of the past).

You can pull off the solo in Awaken? Dude!  I am not worthy!Thumbs Up  Clap

He does that on a 12 string you know.. I could do most parts of it but that blazing speed run that ties it all together is
beyond me, and I have no trouble playing, Clap, The Ancient(acoustic part) and Mood For A Day.  You rock skippy!

As far as Fripp goes, that would be a tough comparison, he has always kinda "hid" behind other guitarists.
Steve Howe, Gary Green, Steve Morse, even Pete Townshend all did the "heavy lifting" (guitar playing)onstage by themselves. Basic rock bands like Aerosmith, Def Leopard or Judas Priest pack a bunch of guitars on stage, but I never understood Fripp's need for guys like Adrian Belew(who I think is phenomenal). And don't say it "adds" to the music. Multi guitarists sonically all kinda merge live, its so hard to hear them indivudally...unless you do the Pink Floyd live thing where each guitarist plays a discreetly orchestrated part....

No Fripp bashing here, lets just keep him aside from single guitar player bands.Smile

As far as Fripp being fresher....  Fripp has never been fresh or old.  He always plays the same kinda "pattern rock"
or "math fusion rock" with other guitarists.  You seen one Fripp show you have seen them all!   Oops, now I have done it!Wink.  All the Fripp fans are gonna be out for blood now...Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>