Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPetition to get Jon Anderson back into Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 10:09
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

As I said, I have great respect for the members of Yes, especially Steve Howe.  He was a huge influence on my guitar playing........to the point that I could probably pull off a very passable (though certainly not better or even as good) version of Awaken.  But maybe I'm being immodest Embarrassed

As to Fripp and Phillip Glass........no thanks.  I'd love to see Fripp with a new version of King Crimson though Big smile  (as long as it wasn't a nostalgia act trotting out aging past members......Fripp himself being the exception, since he's aged much better than most prog rock stars of the past).

You can pull off the solo in Awaken? Dude!  I am not worthy!Thumbs Up  Clap

He does that on a 12 string you know.. I could do most parts of it but that blazing speed run that ties it all together is
beyond me, and I have no trouble playing, Clap, The Ancient(acoustic part) and Mood For A Day.  You rock skippy!

As far as Fripp goes, that would be a tough comparison, he has always kinda "hid" behind other guitarists.
Steve Howe, Gary Green, Steve Morse, even Pete Townshend all did the "heavy lifting" (guitar playing)onstage by themselves. Basic rock bands like Aerosmith, Def Leopard or Judas Priest pack a bunch of guitars on stage, but I never understood Fripp's need for guys like Adrian Belew(who I think is phenomenal). And don't say it "adds" to the music. Multi guitarists sonically all kinda merge live, its so hard to hear them indivudally...unless you do the Pink Floyd live thing where each guitarist plays a discreetly orchestrated part....

No Fripp bashing here, lets just keep him aside from single guitar player bands.Smile

As far as Fripp being fresher....  Fripp has never been fresh or old.  He always plays the same kinda "pattern rock"
or "math fusion rock" with other guitarists.  You seen one Fripp show you have seen them all!   Oops, now I have done it!Wink.  All the Fripp fans are gonna be out for blood now...Shocked

Well, I would need lots of practice to get back in shape, but I think I could do it.........if I had a 12 string LOL

As to Fripp, well, he was the ONLY guitarist in the band from '69 to '78,  which is the only period I care about.  He did far more than 'pattern rock" for most of that time.  Even in the 80's and beyond Crimson, you have to understand that his guitar patterns are the base for the entire compositions.......all the "heavy lifting" as you say, is him.  The rest of the band work their parts around him.  So it's pretty funny you thinking he doesn't do the "heavy lifting".  I'd like to see Howe try to play his "patterns".  I doubt he's capable (but then, I'm certainly not........very few are)....or would want to LOL

Anyway, we've veered way off topic here.  Jon Anderson rules, Yes is a hollow shell without him.  Yet still this petition is silly, IMO.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:24
Better yet, go for the Court Injunction! 

"Jon Roy Anderson, you are hereby remanded under the Prog Penal Code, for a period of no less than two releases, to your former band Yes...."LOL
-John
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 22:43
You cannot recreate the past. Let the man say when -- he is free, and knows himself better.

The classic Yes will always be there. That should be enough for you.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:43

As to Fripp, well, he was the ONLY guitarist in the band from '69 to '78,  which is the only period I care about.  He did far more than 'pattern rock" for most of that time.  Even in the 80's and beyond Crimson, you have to understand that his guitar patterns are the base for the entire compositions.......all the "heavy lifting" as you say, is him.  The rest of the band work their parts around him.  So it's pretty funny you thinking he doesn't do the "heavy lifting".  I'd like to see Howe try to play his "patterns".  I doubt he's capable (but then, I'm certainly not........very few are)....or would want to LOL

Anyway, we've veered way off topic here.  Jon Anderson rules, Yes is a hollow shell without him.  Yet still this petition is silly, IMO.

Ok, you win the Fripp thing, I was really thinking of his eighties work till now, I was never a big fan of his early "bang the gargabe can lids"(Moonchild) thing....  I do love Greg Lake, so nice he was in early KC, don't worry bout the sidetrack, not much activity for YES here on PA, so I bet this thread dies out sooner then later, at least we are talking guitarists...

Speaking of..., Steve Howe(even now) could wipe the floor with Fripp and 3 others like him, so I can't let that Howe slam stand.  If you wanna find a guitar player who comes close to Howe then venture on out to Austin,Texas and look for a young man named Johnson.Wink

Oh, and YES are doing just fine with JD, just as fine as they did back in 1968 with Peter Banks & Tony Kaye & Bill Bruford.Smile

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:23

Well, I would need lots of practice to get back in shape, but I think I could do it.........if I had a 12 string LOL

This is a live performance of Frame by Frame and it's Fripp who plays that complex, fast pattern (you can see it at 0:53). 

What Belew does is also incredibly difficult because his parts intersect with Fripp while he has to sing at the same time.  You can see he gets out of time at "Step by step" but adjusts and covers it.  Yes, he adds to the music.  Wink  It's a completely different kind of music from what Yes envisioned, if I may say so. 

Edited by rogerthat - March 29 2013 at 22:24
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:42
Well, as long as this little Steve Howe vs Robert Fripp sidebar thing is happening now...

All I am going to say is this... Strictly as guitarists, putting their individual bands and their unique compositional approaches aside, I think Steve Howe could probably figure out and play Fripp guitar easier and better than Fripp could figure out and play Steve Howe guitar.  Because to me, Steve Howe is more of a guitarist's guitarist, while Fripp is simply from outer space and probably never cut through the basic rudimentary chops that the rest of us mortal guitar players had to cut through.  Just sayin'
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 22:45
Just to clarify....I am not saying one is technically better than the other, strictly as a guitarist.  That's not for me to judge.   But I do consider Fripp a lot bolder and more imaginative than Howe.  
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 04:46
Are we throwing all our toys out of the pram about this?  Don't be ridiculous.

"I demand that my favourite band replaces their current singer with my favourite singer, even if neither singer nor band wants that to happen."  How would that actually work?  Pay them a few extra million, maybe?  And get them to not argue much too, eh? 

What if I were to demand a Prog Supergroup featuring Chris Squire, Robert Fripp, Ian Anderson, and Nick Mason (each being the only person on every album by their respective bands)  they could get Keith Emerson in there as well, and name the band CRINK after their first initials.  I demand that they do this!!  *shakes fist pointlessly* LOL

Edited by Stool Man - March 30 2013 at 04:47
rotten hound of the burnie crew
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 22:07
I just saw Yes on Cruise To The Edge.
When "introduced", JD got the biggest applause of all of them.
Just saying!

More comments in a different thread, if/when I get around to it.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 03:01
Does it really matter who sings/plays/dances in the latest version of the official Yes tribute band?
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 04:41
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Just saying!

How's the cruise going Frank? Sun, sea and Prog - can anything be better than that? (I'm green with envy)
What?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 04:53
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Well, as long as this little Steve Howe vs Robert Fripp sidebar thing is happening now...

All I am going to say is this... Strictly as guitarists, putting their individual bands and their unique compositional approaches aside, I think Steve Howe could probably figure out and play Fripp guitar easier and better than Fripp could figure out and play Steve Howe guitar.  Because to me, Steve Howe is more of a guitarist's guitarist, while Fripp is simply from outer space and probably never cut through the basic rudimentary chops that the rest of us mortal guitar players had to cut through.  Just sayin'
Yeah, Fripp is so unconventional that I'm not sure if he would be able to play Puff The Magic Dragon Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 06:45
I wonder if Jon Anderson even gives a toss whether we all want him back in Yes or not..................
........think I might go and listen to 'The Ladder'...........
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 09:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Does it really matter who sings/plays/dances in the latest version of the official Yes tribute band?

Haters gonna hate.  Nothing to see here.  Move along lads.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 10:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm inferring you think old men in prog are irrelevant, which is at best fatuous.

Some of my favourite musicians are old men... look at Faust or Magma, both still going hard to this day.

It's just Yes specifically that haven't done anything worthwhile in decades.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - March 31 2013 at 10:13
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 12:12
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Yeah, Fripp is so unconventional that I'm not sure if he would be able to play Puff The Magic Dragon Tongue

Well, not without a bunch of whole tone scale runs thrown in!  LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 14:06

Just saying!

How's the cruise going Frank? Sun, sea and Prog - can anything be better than that? (I'm green with envy)

I have to admit I would have done it too ... the folks in it are worth it and then some. I think Edgar Froese is in that too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 20:52

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Well, not without a bunch of whole tone scale runs thrown in!  LOL
About the 26th minute when they do Matte Kudasai, that's some pretty conventional guitar by Bob. 

-John
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 21:17

Just saying!

It ended Saturday morning (I posted the above after I got home), but it was pretty fine.  Musically it was very good.  The cruise itself was so-so, but I still found it to be worth it.  (Not much sun, though!  Mostly overcast the entire time.)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 21:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Just saying!

I have to admit I would have done it too ... the folks in it are worth it and then some. I think Edgar Froese is in that too!
Edgar Froese got injured, so Tangerine Dream had to cancel, alas.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>