Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour journey to work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: How do you travel to work / College / School ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [45.95%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [10.81%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
2 [5.41%]
2 [5.41%]
1 [2.70%]
2 [5.41%]
2 [5.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.70%]
5 [13.51%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:46
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Car all the way.

Not hot air balloon?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 16:54
I live in Atlanta,  it's really hard not to be a single person car driver here.  On the bright side, I had about 20 years spanning two jobs where my drive was inside the perimeter highway and typically 20 minutes of light traffic.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:01
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

For school I walk upstairs, into my living room
... and then you teleport to school?

no.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:21
Damn, I envy you guys who get to work and school from home.  I'd kill to work from home.  

elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:42
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Atlanta's like that too.  Everywhere is a 30 minute drive to everywhere else, and the public transport system is fairly limited.
Yes I seem to recall there were some transportation problems during the Olympics when they were held there . Appears things haven't improved much ?

Edited by elbownut - March 23 2013 at 17:42
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 17:44
I car share.
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:11
My bus takes about 10 minutes to get to my school. If I feel like it, I'll walk, which will take about 35 minutes.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:14

no.

Have you considered teleporting to school?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 19:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

no.

Have you considered teleporting to school?

Yes, I agree, you should at least consider teleportation to school. 

(Cheaper, Quicker)

Edited by akamaisondufromage - March 23 2013 at 22:45
Help me I'm falling!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:43
Originally posted by Ajay Ajay wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Car all the way.
Not hot air balloon?
Are you kidding me? Don't you know those things can kill you stone dead (du-uh)?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 23 2013 at 21:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 21:55
I used to find the act of traveling pleasurable but these days I'd be pretty happy to be able to "beam" places.  That would be liberating to a new degree.  

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 06:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I used to find the act of traveling pleasurable but these days I'd be pretty happy to be able to "beam" places.  That would be liberating to a new degree.  

When I lived close to the factory I used to walk to work, now we've downscaled the factory to offices and I've moved out of town, I drive the 5 miles to work each day - it's too short to be of any bother and not long enough to be interesting. Several times a year I have to travel the 200 miles to our factory in Norwich.

When I was a kid that region of Eastern England was our regular holiday location and I have fond memories of loading up my Dad's Austin A35 (a van with windows) with camping gear and setting off for the Norfolk coast, along the way we'd pass through quaint English villages occasionally stopping at one of their pubs for refreshment (a bottle of Vimto and a packet of crisps in the car for us kids who weren't allowed in the pub in those days) or we'd call-in at one of the many small transport cafés for a late breakfast; sometimes we'd stop at  Newmarket racecourse to watch them training horses along side the road, or at Snetterton racetrack where we could see Lotus running car test and every year we'd stop at a roadside grave of an unnamed Gypsy child where Dad would get us to pick wild flowers to lay on the grave. The Austin didn't have a car radio, Dad rigged up a Dansette "111"  transistor radio plugged into a 12 foot whip aerial that had once graced an army tank so we could sing along to The Beatles and The Beach Boys on the journey. On summer hols in 1966 we were flagged down by a Norfolk policeman - he said there was nothing wrong but couldn't help noticing the 4-yard tank aerial bolted between front and back bumper of the car and ask us if we knew the football score - we spent the next hour parked by the roadside with him, listening to the World Cup final and drinking tea made on our camping stove before continuing our journey.

Now I travel the same road a dozen times a year and it has become the most boring journey imaginable: the roads are now straight, flat and featureless; all the villages (bar one) have been "bypassed" in the name of progress - soon that village too will be just a signpost off a new stretch of road; to find the last remaining transport café (the Comfort Café at Fourwentways) you have to leave the main road to discover the original route of the A11 trunk road.

I tire of this journey very quickly such that an hour into the return trip I wish there was a warm friendly button on the dashboard marked "HOME" that I could press and be instantly transported to my drive.

Edited by Dean - March 24 2013 at 07:06
What?
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 07:33
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Now I travel the same road a dozen times a year and it has become the most boring journey imaginable: the roads are now straight, flat and featureless; all the villages (bar one) have been "bypassed" in the name of progress - soon that village too will be just a signpost off a new stretch of road; to find the last remaining transport café (the Comfort Café at Fourwentways) you have to leave the main road to discover the original route of the A11 trunk road.

I know what you mean. The same thing has been done to the drive between Sydney and Newcastle, NSW. All the colour, charm and interest I remember from family trips when I was a child is now off the direct route. - And my dad used to drive an Austin, too. Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 07:34
It used to be 1 hour drive by car, recently I moved a bit closer and it's now some 35 minutes drive, luckily no heavy traffic unless bad weather or accidents. In summer I take the motorbike now and then. No convenient public transportation available for me.
How I envy those of you who work from home, although I wonder if I would have the required willpower and discipline.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

When I was a kid that region of Eastern England was our regular holiday location and I have fond memories of loading up my Dad's Austin A35 (a van with windows) with camping gear and setting off for the Norfolk coast, along the way we'd pass through quaint English villages occasionally stopping at one of their pubs for refreshment (a bottle of Vimto and a packet of crisps in the car for us kids who weren't allowed in the pub in those days) or we'd call-in at one of the many small transport cafés for a late breakfast; sometimes we'd stop at  Newmarket racecourse to watch them training horses along side the road, or at Snetterton racetrack where we could see Lotus running car test and every year we'd stop at a roadside grave of an unnamed Gypsy child where Dad would get us to pick wild flowers to lay on the grave. The Austin didn't have a car radio, Dad rigged up a Dansette "111"  transistor radio plugged into a 12 foot whip aerial that had once graced an army tank so we could sing along to The Beatles and The Beach Boys on the journey. On summer hols in 1966 we were flagged down by a Norfolk policeman - he said there was nothing wrong but couldn't help noticing the 4-yard tank aerial bolted between front and back bumper of the car and ask us if we knew the football score - we spent the next hour parked by the roadside with him, listening to the World Cup final and drinking tea made on our camping stove before continuing our journey.

That's a great story Dean, I love hearing about those day.  A similar situation here, with many of our roads bypassing  the off path little towns and features.  Although not completely, when I head north every summer I get off the main roads and travel the back roads through rural farm community, and immerse myself in this landscape.  I feel so at home there that I sometimes wonder if I'm not a reincarnated farmer from the old days.

Speaking of transistors, I had one too which I used to listen to pop music and sports games late into the night....remember the single ear jack?  Great for laying in bed and listening after official bedtime!

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:31
Car. A 20-30 min drive. But I'll soon be selling my car, 'cause I can't afford it, so then it will be underground+bus. Can't say I'm looking forward to that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:58

Speaking of transistors, I had one too which I used to listen to pop music and sports games late into the night....remember the single ear jack?  Great for laying in bed and listening after official bedtime!

The Dansette 111 (I still own it and it still works, though it's AM only so not a lot of use inthe UK)

This didn't have an earphone jack, so I drilled a hole in the fiberglass case and fitted one.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:03
Nice modification! 

By today's standards that ear piece looks really long!LOL

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:10

That's a great story Dean, I love hearing about those day.  A similar situation here, with many of our roads bypassing  the off path little towns and features.  Although not completely, when I head north every summer I get off the main roads and travel the back roads through rural farm community, and immerse myself in this landscape.  I feel so at home there that I sometimes wonder if I'm not a reincarnated farmer from the old days.

Last summer I bought a little open-topped MG roadster and for a brief period, (until I wrecked it on a motorway to Norwich Ouch), it was an immense pleasure to get off the beaten-track and take to the country roads - it was definitely a car made for that kind of driving, not for schlepping up the motorway.

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 10:22
Oh ouch!.....I'm guessing it was totalled?  Or were you able to fix it?   

You walked away largely unscathed from this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>