Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedheavy usage of synthesizers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: heavy usage of synthesizers?
    Posted: March 24 2013 at 08:47
I really enjoy hearing synths in music that isn't electronica or pop, and love them in prog. I was wondering if there were any prog bands outside of electronic with keyboards dominated by synthesizers. 
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 09:01
Derek Sherinian's album 'Planet X'
Jordan Rudess' album 'feeding the wheel'

and the obvious ELP, Triumvirat and The Enid for some classic prog.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 11:57
I don't know if Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream still qualify -they are both prog acts and electronic acts (though not really electronica). Check out Jarre as well.

Rick Wakeman does sound like he fits the criteria as well :3
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 15:04
Todd Rundgren's Utopia were very synth-heavy -- try "Todd Rundgren's Utopia" and "RA". At least as much synth as guitar, and in a classic prog mode.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 15:57
Projects featuring Eddie Jobson :
- UK's self-tiltled and 'danger money'.
- Eddie Jobson's 'Zinc'.
- UKZ's 'radiation'

Anders Helmerson's 'Triple Ripple'.
Cairo's self-titled, 'conflict and dreams' and 'time legend'.

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 19:44
Mike Oldfield's albums from Five Miles Out to Earth Moving were Fairlight albums. Ditto Kate Bush's albums from Never For Ever through The Sensual World, and the album Identity by Zee (Richard Wright of Pink Floyd, and Dave Harris of Fashion). Peter Gabriel's albums from Security onwards are synth-heavy.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 02:43
It really shouldn't get to the 6th post for someone to mention ELOY

best albums for synths are Planets and Time To Turn. Those are two parts of a concept. There is also the excellent Colours album. They were all recorded in the early eighties

zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 12:27
Tortoise - Beacons of Ancestorship

synth rock power!!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 13:02
Hi,

Seventh Wave -- both albums ... and they toured with 7 keyboard players here in America!

Make sure you play them LOUD ... and in the best fidelity you can find ... because the keyboard washes and sounds are fabulous and then some! And the music is pretty good too!

Todd Rundgren -- Only the "Wizard" album on that fun side is a keyboard assault that is excellent ... but it probably all goes to the credit of Jean Yves Labat, not Todd ... because Todd never redid anything like it, though "The Eye-con" has some nice bits and pieces, on one of the Utopia albums. The "Wizard/True Star" album is a must have for progressive folks ... and a fun one too!

There are many others and the 70's and early 80's were chock full of keyboard folks in Europe that experimented a lot ... and in many different styles and variations in work. Some weird, some strange, as usual. I would have to go through my stuff to be able to list them for you.

Edited by moshkito - March 25 2013 at 13:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 16:26
The OP asked for:

Originally posted by snipingpanda14 snipingpanda14 wrote:

I keyboards dominated by synthesizers. 

I personally like a lot of the artists being recommended but I think he is looking for something closer to electronica

Trouble is there is very little that fits the bill that I've heard

Triumvirat for instance is way off the mark. Even ELP only made one album that fits close to what is being asked for. (Brain Salad Surgery). Rick Wakeman's music isn't synth dominated from what I've heard. If so that brings in a hell of a lot of stuff including most of the symph prog genre which is vast. What keyboard players here didn't use synths?!

Mike Oldfield is not electronic prog . not even Songs Of Distant Earth which is beautiful all the same

Anders Helmerson - again a nice fast jazzy album with Steven Wilson's current drummer featured.Its good but not close to 'electronica'.

I would chuck in Nick Magnus - Inhaling Green as a possible option. That has loads of synths and is close to Vangelis (Blade Runner / Direct) at times

zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 00:05

Rush's Moving Pictures and Signals are very heavy synth dominated.  great!!!

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 01:49
Originally posted by zoviet zoviet wrote:

Rush's Moving Pictures and Signals are very heavy synth dominated.  great!!!

I think in this instance you would have to look at all their albums from 1980 to 1985

Permanent Waves (1980) kicked it all of ( Jacobs LadderApprove) and Power Windows as a complete album finished it off. I think they moved away from this because Lifeson got the hump about his guitar being relegated to being a secondary instrument while the synths dominated.

Not a bad suggestion. Best and most representative track from that era? - Subdivisions imo
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 05:53
All the band proposed are in Electronic fields, except Eloy, Rush and the 2 player keyboard of Dream Theather, so i suggest to try Eric Norlander solo project

You should try Aragon, plenty of synthesizers and the singer is awesome, he sing like Fish in his much angry moments!!!

But if u like symphonic progressive rock i recomend u Solaris

Edited by Aragon - April 07 2013 at 06:03
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 14:24
Artension (prog-metal) and the solo works of Vitalij Kuprij (less-prog metal)
Vangelis (many different periods but you can find the most suitable for your tastes. Start with Albedo 0.39)
Try some Senmuth, too(experimental/post-Metal). Hundred of albums downloadable for free to check.
Archive are worth as well (are they post? I don't remember the subgenre)

Other have already been mentioned

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Vangelis (many different periods but you can find the most suitable for your tastes. Start with Albedo 0.39)

he is looking for prog bands outside of electonica but that use synths over and above say organ and piano.

None of Vangelis solo music is like this and with Aphoidtes Child he didn't use synths at all. That leaves Socrates and the album Phos but he only played on a couple of tracks I think. This features some trademark Vangelis synths

Edited by richardh - April 08 2013 at 15:44
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 15:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

he is looking for prog bands outside of electonica but that use synths over and above say organ and piano.

None of Vangelis solo music is like this and with Aphoidtes Child he didn't use synths at all. That leaves Socrates and the album Phos but he only played on a couple of tracks I think. This features some trademark Vangelis synths

I have tried to point out some synths from various subgenres. About Vangelis Invisible Connections is pure electronics, but Mask may fit. Also Soil Festivities has much synth and is not properly electronics, Don't you think that China can fit, too? 

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 16:51
You should cut down, those things will kill you.  Also look out for blunt objects, including not just hammers and baseball bats but crowbars, rocks, paving stones, statuettes, and electric guitars.  I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 08 2013 at 16:52
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 01:41

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I have tried to point out some synths from various subgenres. About Vangelis Invisible Connections is pure electronics, but Mask may fit. Also Soil Festivities has much synth and is not properly electronics, Don't you think that China can fit, too? 

Not really as the point is Vangelis rarely works within a band format which is what the OP is looking for I believe. BUT if we are going there then I would suggest the album Direct which has a bit more clout and might be of interest and possibly See You Later. Mask is a superb album but I don't think that would fit tbh. Soil Festivities is a very nice relaxing album but I would put it with Opera Sauvage and L'Apocalypse Des Animaux as beautiful atmospheric music on the side of ambient rather than electronica.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 12:06
I wouldn't suggest See You Later which I consider to be the poorest album released by Vangelis. Direct and The City are excellent and...well I'm a sort of fanboy, so everything fits for me...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 14:32

I wouldn't suggest See You Later which I consider to be the poorest album released by Vangelis. Direct and The City are excellent and...well I'm a sort of fanboy, so everything fits for me...

Never understand why that album is so disliked. Vangelis was never one to be tied down just to one thing. 

If OMD and Vangelis ever collaborated then the result would be this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>