Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hnrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Appreciation
    Posted: July 10 2014 at 09:02
I love Khan.
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 06:10
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I think part of the reason pure "Canterbury" releases have become a little thin on the ground comes down to the way people categorise this stuff. To a lot of people, "Canterbury" denotes those projects which involved a particular set of individuals - the ex-Wilde Flowers crowd and their collaborators - and those groups who succeeded especially well at emulating them, so as the original Canterbury crowd age and get less active the natural consequence is that there's less releases which clearly and obviously fall into the "Canterbury" category.

It is possible to tease out a set of features that define a "Canterbury" sound, but these overlap with other prog subgenres a lot - lots of Canterbury groups presented a very particular take on fusion, for example. To my ears, there's a strong strand in RIO - especially groups which take their inspiration from Samla Mammas Manna or Henry Cow - of artists showing a strong Canterbury influence.

Hi Warthur. Yor opinion is really exhaustive and actually correct! 
What I'm searching for are not other bands that with no doubts had emulated what pioneers of Canterbury made. To play that kind of music needs of a certain "cohesion" with the sound, that inevitably become a sort of emulation. Try to think if someone would play RPI. To use its atmospheres and the texts so poetic and complex. How is it possible if not followed its musical canons? As Italian I can say that valid examples are Picchio Dal Pozzo and Homunculus Res (that I put in my Canterbury Scene folder) with no doubts. Examples where the complexity of sung in Italian in this kind of music are well masked. So actually is very hard, as you can say  to find bands in that style. Maybe will be impossible. 
I will follow your advice for RIO bands (a sub genre in which I am really a stranger) that I noticed some time ago but never listened to well.

Thanks for your opinion really precious! I would like to know your opinion for Homunculus Res if you have already listened to them.Thumbs Up

Per Fortuna C Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 05:19
I think part of the reason pure "Canterbury" releases have become a little thin on the ground comes down to the way people categorise this stuff. To a lot of people, "Canterbury" denotes those projects which involved a particular set of individuals - the ex-Wilde Flowers crowd and their collaborators - and those groups who succeeded especially well at emulating them, so as the original Canterbury crowd age and get less active the natural consequence is that there's less releases which clearly and obviously fall into the "Canterbury" category.

It is possible to tease out a set of features that define a "Canterbury" sound, but these overlap with other prog subgenres a lot - lots of Canterbury groups presented a very particular take on fusion, for example. To my ears, there's a strong strand in RIO - especially groups which take their inspiration from Samla Mammas Manna or Henry Cow - of artists showing a strong Canterbury influence.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:54
Classical Canterbury is something special... with no doubts!

Enjoy them when you can...maybe you'll find new interesting Canterbury momentsThumbs Up
Per Fortuna C Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:36
^ No - I'm not familiar with these bands....
I love the magic of Canterbury......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:30
Hi Tom. I know Amoeba Split and I already love them! Have you ever listened to Schnauser? I think there are even there a lot of Canterbury features. 
"!Ampledeed! is a beautiful Canterbury Scene album. Approve
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:22
Spanish band 'Amoeba Split' recently put out an album called 'Dance Of The Goodbyes'. It features many Canterburian traits and is a wonderful listen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 03:11
I would like to open here a discussion.
Why there aren't new Canterbury bands? Does anyone still playing it in 2014?
The last possible entry was (in my opinion) Homunculus Res, that now is accepted as RPI. 
I also proposed another band for Canterbury Scene, they calls "Ampledeed".

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 05:05
Babel is excellent and its "disco rythms" really fun. Big smile
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithrandir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 21:12
I like the first 2 Cos albums an awful lot, an over all unique band, I'll get around to checking out Babel sooner or later....
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 05:36
Canterbury fan signing on here again after going absent without leave for a number of years. Long story but I am back and confused as ever and loving it.

Just ordered Gilgamesh, and looking forward to giving the thing a good long play(very loud).
Should keep the people next door talking a bit more
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 14:49
Well count me in the appreciation of. Canterbury music. soft machine, egg, Matching Mole & Caravan. Plus many more top bands.   
geekfreak progressive rock MUSIC for a world on AUTO-PILOT
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 14:56
^ 'Place Of My Own' - beautiful, simply beautiful.....
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site and Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 08:55
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Totally random...and AWESOME!

Hey guys, with the passing of Richard Coughlin, maybe give a Caravan album or two a spin today. R.I.P.

I played Live at Fairfield Halls and In The Land Of Grey And Pink.  You?

Yeah I've been playing a lot of Caravan too. The debut, in particular, has been in heavy rotation. 'Where but for Caravan would I be' is one of their best tunes imho - it's certainly one of my favesBig smile 

The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

- Douglas Adams
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 08:51

Hey guys, with the passing of Richard Coughlin, maybe give a Caravan album or two a spin today. R.I.P.

I played Live at Fairfield Halls and In The Land Of Grey And Pink.  You?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 03:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Perhaps Belgian ?? Flemish scat or something ?? I like weird vocals. I'd go and spin it right now although I'm, you know, appreciating a bit of silence for a few days......

Belgian as a language doesn't exist, it's either Flemish (Dutch), French or German. Wink
But... living in Flandres and knowing French too I'm sure that it isn't Dutch/Flemish or German, and it's not French either.
I'm almost sure they're just fantasy lyrics.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 03:26
Nick, give the album a sample here and see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8AMMPyPPk

I'm starting to warm to it, got my CD of it in the car now for extended listens!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 10 2013 at 03:26
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 03:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Perhaps Belgian ?? Flemish scat or something ?? I like weird vocals. I'd go and spin it right now although I'm, you know, appreciating a bit of silence for a few days......

Uh oh. Sounds cancerous to my ears. Shall I stay away? Think so.
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 03:10

Canterbury regulars, what's you opinion on the album Cos - Viva Boma? Been giving it a few spins after buy it recently, and while it's kind of quirky and nice, I don't respond to it as well as oher Canterbury albums.

Opinions/thoughts?

Don't have any, but I'd like to hear yours.
I need a bit of a push to explore this genre of Prog. Haven't done much beyond the Gong trilogy.
Radio Gnome pt 2 I loved.
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2013 at 18:32

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic