Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Appreciation
    Posted: March 25 2013 at 18:13
I can't find a Canterbury Appreciation thread, apart from the old locked one
Here's a new one then.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 18:31
The more I listen to it, the more I like it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 18:35
So let's go with the Grey and Pink Caravan ! Smile

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:16
I appreciate Canterbury.

Actually the resurrection of that Hatfield thread made me spin The Rotters Club today.  Smile

I must shamefully admit I just don't like the first two Soft Machine albums.

Thanks for making this thread - I shall try and pop in regularly.

Edited by Padraic - March 25 2013 at 21:19
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:23
Padraic, sadly I also find it very hard to warm to the first two Soft Machine albums, I simply can't stand Robert Wyatt's flat weezy vocals, even though all the playing is top notch. I think I much prefer the album `Fifth' onwards, so I must warm more to the fusion side of S.Machine.

But there's endless other knockout Caterbury bands we can talk more highly about, no doubt!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:26
I'm a huge fan !  Like Padriac i've listened to The Rotters Club recently and also the debut. Spun National Health's two studio albums as well of late.  Dave Stewart never ceases to amaze me.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 21:33
Heh, oh yeah, John, Dave Stewart is just the cats pajamas, eh?

Even though I don't like the (ooh, controversy here!) `schoolboy choir' vocals from the girls in some occasional moments on the first `Hatfield' album, that album is endlessly inventive and colourful, goes in so many directions! It's taken me so long to get my head around it, but these days I even have an `emergency' CD of it always in the glovebox of my car should I need a quick `hit'!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 22:15
Yeah I'm a huge Dave Stewart fanboy.

That said, a highly recommended live album is "Playtime", when National Health finally got to do a mini-tour of the US, but after Stewart decided to leave.  So Alan Gowen agreed to join Greaves, Miller, and Pyle and the result is spectacular.  Every NH fan should pick this up.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 00:08
I've been listening to Gong like heroine.  I even got the Daevid Allen book about his time in the band.  Extremely entertaining if you like their music.  He really explains a lot about where all their crazy concepts in the Radio Gnome albums come from and how they (somewhat) fit together.

Plus there are pictures Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 00:30
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Yeah I'm a huge Dave Stewart fanboy.

Same here Party !!!!!!!!!  Something about his sound and technique - his solos are out of this world and his choice of notes is bang-on.  We have Dave Sinclair, Mike Ratledge and Robert Jan Stips who also fuzz-box their organs (ahem Embarrassed) but Stewart is a master.  Space Shanty is possibly the best ever album I've heard.  I actually wish we'd get more of that fuzzy organ in today's modern Prog. 
Gotta love the Hopper/Gowen project 'Two Rainbows Daily'.  Pure bliss. I could go on for hours about Canterbury...............
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 02:05
Hatfield
Health
Gilgamesh
Caravan
My faves. I don't like Soft machine much. Too pop in 60s and too jazz in the 70s. Prog rock is my style. Not pop, not jazz
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 03:08

I must shamefully admit I just don't like the first two Soft Machine albums.

No need to be ashamed, I don't like the first one either. 
Ermm I do like the second one, though.

a highly recommended live album is "Playtime", when National Health finally got to do a mini-tour of the US, but after Stewart decided to leave.  So Alan Gowen agreed to join Greaves, Miller, and Pyle and the result is spectacular.  Every NH fan should pick this up.

I'm a NH fan, I really like the three studio albums, but I haven't heard Playtime.
Is it the compositions or the playing that makes it so good?
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 08:11
Love me some Canterbury. Approve
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 08:27
Love Caravan, National Health, Picchio dal Pozzo's first, some Robert Wyatt...
...don't really care much for the Soft Machine, Gong or Hatfield and the North I've heard. I find the cutesy, oddball goofiness and jazz levels need to be just right for me to enjoy the style.

A strange little sub-genre that I need to re-visit and explore further, especially some of the lesser bands.
Lord Jagged View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 08:52
Some excellent stuff, Khan, Gong and Caravan in particular. I have soft spot for Egg too.

Not hard boiled. Wink
Dead Souls In The Rear View Mirror Hitch A Ride For A While..
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 08:55
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Padraic, sadly I also find it very hard to warm to the first two Soft Machine albums, I simply can't stand Robert Wyatt's flat weezy vocals, even though all the playing is top notch. I think I much prefer the album `Fifth' onwards, so I must warm more to the fusion side of S.Machine.

But there's endless other knockout Caterbury bands we can talk more highly about, no doubt!

If I may suggest, the way to appreciate Robert Wyatt, is by stopping to expect "music" in any of its forms and designs, and it is done on purpose ... and it has been so since the famous ABC that he dropped on a live concert! It was his big number 1 finger to the commerciality and locking down of music and its concepts!

If you don't like that individuality and ability that so many of the Canterbury folks play and enjoy goofing around with ... then, you are not a "Canterbury" fan, but an idealist that likes a couple of things, and thinks they are cool, and you are trying to justify them to yourself ... you really have no idea where it came from and where it was going ... take a hint and go back and read about it ... Wyatt, Syd, Ayres, Allen, Ginsburg, Burroughs, Smith ... all connected via the same house where many of them lived and goofed around ... but you have no idea what the literature scene was about, do you?

Syd was a sort of Magic Theater for a while that went sour and died a nasty overdose dream! The others got scared when Syd went down the tubes, Robert went down the drain ... and the other two were out right gay and simply scoring -- for their next books and words. Even weirder is that no one even realizes where steely dan came from! Which kinda tells you how disconnected people really are from the "source"! Better go read the book ... might learn something about Canterbury and folks! While at it read about the Magic Theater too!

Edited by moshkito - March 26 2013 at 08:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

If I may suggest, the way to appreciate Robert Wyatt, is by stopping to expect "music" in any of its forms and designs, and it is done on purpose ... and it has been so since the famous ABC that he dropped on a live concert! It was his big number 1 finger to the commerciality and locking down of music and its concepts!

If you don't like that individuality and ability that so many of the Canterbury folks play and enjoy goofing around with ... then, you are not a "Canterbury" fan, but an idealist that likes a couple of things, and thinks they are cool, and you are trying to justify them to yourself ... you really have no idea where it came from and where it was going ... take a hint and go back and read about it ... Wyatt, Syd, Ayres, Allen, Ginsburg, Burroughs, Smith ... all connected via the same house where many of them lived and goofed around ... but you have no idea what the literature scene was about, do you?

Syd was a sort of Magic Theater for a while that went sour and died a nasty overdose dream! The others got scared when Syd went down the tubes, Robert went down the drain ... and the other two were out right gay and simply scoring -- for their next books and words. Even weirder is that no one even realizes where steely dan came from! Which kinda tells you how disconnected people really are from the "source"! Better go read the book ... might learn something about Canterbury and folks! While at it read about the Magic Theater too!

Hang on a second, Moshkito, no need to attack me and start pointing the finger, accusing me of what I do and don't know. All I ever said was that I don't like Robert Wyatt's pained flat VOICE, mainly on those first two Soft Machine albums. I've always preferred him for his musical ability than his voice, though I know plenty of others find his vocals hugely charming and charismatic, full of character.

As for for your accusations that I like `Canterbury' because I think it's `cool' to do so, well that's bulls**t on a stick, because I've never been under the delusions that ANY sort of prog is `cool', nor could I care if it were to be labelled that way or not.

Canterbury and prog have been a twenty year love for me through the variety, musicianship and passion of it's endless players and personalities.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:17

As for for your accusations that I like `Canterbury' because I think it's `cool' to do so, well that's bulls**t on a stick, because I've never been under the delusions that ANY sort of prog is `cool', nor could I care if it were to be labelled that way or not.

Canterbury and prog have been a twenty year love for me through the variety, musicianship and passion of it's endless players and personalities.

No need to continue the discussion. Can you not see when you are being challenged to take a look at something, instead of reacting emotionally, to something that you did not understand?

This is not about me! It's about what you don't see. And I did not say you were blind, but I suggested that one make an effort to make better sense of that scene ... it's EVEN BETTER, IF YOU DO!

Edited by moshkito - March 26 2013 at 09:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:20
All because I mentioned a personal opinion about a singer's voice I wasn't much of a fan of? That's some serious `reading between the lines' at a whole endless heap of things that weren't there....
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:46
Dave Stewart is also one of my favorite keyboardists.  My favorite Canterbury bands are Caravan, Supersister, Hatfield and the North (Richard Sinclair has to have one of the best voices in music), Egg, National Health and Soft Machine.  As for the Soft Machine discussion, I actually love their first three albums, and then though 4 and 5 were kind of dull, sort of jazz fusion by the numbers.  With 6 and the addition of Karl Jenkins, the band took off again and released 4 great albums in a row.  Although not as good, I also enjoyed Alive and Well in Paris and Land of Cockayne. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>