Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 09:55
Doctor, I find Soft Machine's `Five' (or is it `Fifth', not at home to check my vinyl shelf lol!) really immersive and intoxicating! It's as bleak and gloomy as the black sparse front cover! It's a dear and unhappy friend of mine, and I always have a copy in the car for late-night trips!

A friend recently bought the 5 disc set of the Soft Machine's albums `Third' through to `Seven', and I keep telling him `Make sure you listen to `Five' at night, that's when it will make the most sense!'

Richard Sinclair must certainly have one of the most recogizable and distinctive voices in prog rock!
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 10:17
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

I find the cutesy, oddball goofiness and jazz levels need to be just right for me to enjoy the style.

I´m with you there. Some of the albums in "genre" are too jazz related for my tastes, but artists like Caravan, Khan, Robert wyatt and early Soft Machine are right down my alley. There´s something incredibly soothing about listening to albums by those artists yet still technically sophisticated enough to never fall into the background music catagory.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 11:29
I absolutely love Caravan's Live at the Fairfield Hall

Listened to the Softs' second album yesterday and was quite surprised at how good it sounded.

Apart from that ... I'd like to expand my Canterbury horizon :3 Rotters Club never left much of an impression on me.

Also I don't know if it already has been mentioned here but The Tangent is often dubbed as very influenced by the Canterbury scene (and he has a series of composition bearing this name). What do the experts say to that ? :3
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'm a NH fan, I really like the three studio albums, but I haven't heard Playtime.
Is it the compositions or the playing that makes it so good?

The playing is off the charts.  The tracks are NH compositions not written by Stewart* and some Gowen compositions (I think "Flanagan's People" and the title track, for example, were composed by Gowen).

* Story is that people at the shows were shouting for "Tenemos Roads" and I think the guys in the band were getting a little annoyed by it.  LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:21
My favorites are Hatfield, National Health, Gong, Caravan, Gilgamesh, Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Supersister, COS.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:37
I love just about every act mentioned in this thread, and I would like to add another two acts that I absolutely adore:

Even if none of the above are from England, let alone Canterbury, they still have that distinct quirkiness, whimsical yet melodic nature about them, which I have come to cherish so.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:49
I eat that too Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:54
So you basically just feed yourself then eh Pierre? I gather bird restaurants can get pretty crowded...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 12:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:10
What a good idea, Robert, to produce this !

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:24
The music is brilliant though. I really dig the album, and find the 'concept' behind approaching that of kitsch. Gotta laugh at that cover art tooLOL

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:38
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Richard Sinclair must certainly have one of the most recogizable and distinctive voices in prog rock!
Yes, in fact I remember waaaay back in time, I was in a small used record store and heard Richard Sinclair's unmistakable voice.  I was familiar with him through his 2 albums with Camel, but that's it.   Turns out the guy was spinning "In the Land of Grey and Pink" on the store's turntable.  That was the first I ever heard of Caravan, and long before I even was aware of a "Canterbury scene" or any of the other bands.  But it probably provided that seed crystal that eventually got me into that kind of music.

The more immediate catalyst came several years later, when perusing the liner notes of Camel's "Snow Goose" CD, where it mentioned Caravan and Soft Machine and some others.  It's easy to forget now that back then, it was hard to find a lot of this stuff.  No mail order, no internet, just some vague references to interesting sounding bands in liner notes.  The only way I got the Camel CD was through a trip to Tower Records while in NYC.  I don't even think Caravan had been released on CD yet at that point.  But I found a used vinyl copy (probably paid a lot for it, too) of "In the Land of Grey and Pink" and "Soft Machine Fourth", and that started me off on a strong foot.

What was I talking about. Canterbury.  Right.  I appreciate it.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:50
That last line is what they refer to as 'mental arthritis' - better known as Grandpa Simpson syndrome LOL

- Douglas Adams
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love just about every act mentioned in this thread, and I would like to add another two acts that I absolutely adore:

Even if none of the above are from England, let alone Canterbury, they still have that distinct quirkiness, whimsical yet melodic nature about them, which I have come to cherish so.

I love this one too. Great album...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:53

That last line is what they refer to as 'mental arthritis' - better known as Grandpa Simpson syndrome LOL
Yeah.

My favorite Abe Simpson quote:

Bart: Grampa, Matlock's not real.

Grampa: Neither are my teeth, but I can still eat corn on the cob, if someone cuts it off and smushes it into a fine paste. Now that's good eatin'!

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 13:54
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I love this one too. Great album...

Hi Jonas!
Nice to see you round this place. 

Back to the music: the only thing about that album though, is that I would've liked to hear more of what they were trying to do with the opening cut. That psychedelic opening is my fave off of it.

- Douglas Adams
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 14:07
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'm a NH fan, I really like the three studio albums, but I haven't heard Playtime.
Is it the compositions or the playing that makes it so good?

The playing is off the charts.  The tracks are NH compositions not written by Stewart* and some Gowen compositions (I think "Flanagan's People" and the title track, for example, were composed by Gowen).

* Story is that people at the shows were shouting for "Tenemos Roads" and I think the guys in the band were getting a little annoyed by it.  LOL

LOL

Well, I definitely need to check it out. 
Gowen is a good composer too, that makes it also interesting.
I'm also happy with my Missing Pieces cd, BTW

Edited by Moogtron III - March 26 2013 at 14:08
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:27
Canterbury thread dwellers, I'm on nightshift at the moment, and I've been going for an hour walk every morning to get a bit fitter, and this has been my Ipod soundtrack of choice:

Egg - The Civil Service:

Opinions on this one?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:39
I've never gotten the hang of Egg, sadly.  Something's missing, and I don't know what.  Been a while since I listened though.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 27 2013 at 14:39

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:41
You prefer the chicken so to speak?

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>