Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

My favorites are Hatfield, National Health, Gong, Caravan, Gilgamesh, Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Supersister, COS.

Supersister is not Canterbury, I don't think ... it's dutch! Or something like that! And it's more psychedelic than it is canterbury, to my ear, btw!

Supersister was a Dutch band from The Hague, Netherlands, playing progressive rock ranging from jazz to pop. The most predominant band members were Robert Jan Stips (keyboards, vocals), Sacha van Geest (flute), Marco Vrolijk (drums) and Ron van Eck (bass).

Edited by moshkito - March 31 2013 at 15:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:41
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Darryl Way's Wolf - Canis Lupus(1973)

Good album, but their 3rd album is even better ... Night Music.

Sadly, Darryl Way kinda faded after this, and I thought he was a damn good violinist, but it is likely that he got tired of the rock business and music ... his symphony with Francis Monkman was interesting but not something to take home to mom and pop! ... or PA, as I like to say!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:10
Night Music is very good, but I prefer Canis Lupus, maybe because of the Ian Mc Donald's Lament.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:22
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Canterbury thread dwellers, I'm on nightshift at the moment, and I've been going for an hour walk every morning to get a bit fitter, and this has been my Ipod soundtrack of choice:

Egg - The Civil Service:

Opinions on this one?

Has 2 great tracks. Enn and Germ. I don't really like Wring that much because of the vocals. Polite force is my fave

Edited by dr prog - March 31 2013 at 17:33
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:26
Germ Patrol !!!!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Germ Patrol !!!!

Was meant to say that. Forgot the name
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:37
`Civil Surface' is probably the most instrumental/vocal free of the Egg albums? At least the first half seems to have long stretches where there's no vocals...?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:45

`Civil Surface' is probably the most instrumental/vocal free of the Egg albums? At least the first half seems to have long stretches where there's no vocals...?

Yeah. I think it was a bit rushed and not complete. The band had broken up and decided to put their 1972 stuff together but it feels as if they were short on side 2 and just made up some material to fill out the album. I love side 1 though. Wish the record company let them do an album in 72. I reckon it would have been better. Maybe they would have stayed together knowing the record company had faith in them . I reckon Monts voice was best in the first album. I will be absorbed and You are all princess are great. His voice seemed to get weaker by the album though

Edited by dr prog - March 31 2013 at 17:47
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 17:46
Having the 'Northettes' also adds pleasure to the album (Nearch)..........oh, and the 'Wind Quartets' with Lindsay Cooper and Tim Hodgkinson. 
We ought to start a poll on 'best Dave Stewart solo' and see what happens............??  Bet 'Dreams Wide Awake' would take the cake........or Dervish Riff, or Long Piece, or Hollow Stone, or Mumps, or Joe Frazier, or Gnat Prong....................
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:04
Tom, you'll hit me with a stick, but I'm not a fan of the Northettes vocals lol! I've joked before they make me think of schoolboy choirs!

Having said that, I liked their parts on `Civil Surface' more than I did on the first Hatfield album.

Which reminds me that I prefer the second National Health album over the first because it doesn't have the female vocals! Both terrific albums though, what's the name of that piece a few tracks in on `Queues and Cures' where Stewart is essentially violating his fuzz organ??! I mean, just totally abusing it!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:14

Tom, you'll hit me with a stick, but I'm not a fan of the Northettes vocals lol! I've joked before they make me think of schoolboy choirs!

Having said that, I liked their parts on `Civil Surface' more than I did on the first Hatfield album.

Which reminds me that I prefer the second National Health album over the first because it doesn't have the female vocals! Both terrific albums though, what's the name of that piece a few tracks in on `Queues and Cures' where Stewart is essentially violating his fuzz organ??! I mean, just totally abusing it!
Track 1, Side 2 'Dreams Wide Awake'.   That solo is totally inhuman.  Dave's sleeve note for that song is a crack-up.......
Fuzz, phasing, pitch-bending, up and down the keyboard like lightening, wah-wah..........even Emerson would blush at that one.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:17
Rotters, Polite and Health debut are my fave Stewart albums. Classics. Love the Northettes and Parsons. Clocks and clouds is an awesome track. I don't really like the khan album much. The best parts are the instrumental passages but the vocals moments just sound like straight forward bluesy rock. Grey and pink is classic too. I'm loving Gilgamesh also. Canterbury prog fusion is the only fusion I like really. Mahavishnu are pretty annoying lol
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:23
Uh oh, Dr, better run and hide, or you might need a doctor yourself lol! `Khan - Space Shanty' is one of Tom's favourite albums, maybe THE favourite!

As I've mentioned to him before, I really like that album, but to my ears the vocals date it terribly. I think I even mentioned to him that they sometimes seem to try to sound like Ozzy Osbourne?! Maybe just me..... :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I don't really like the khan album much.
................WTF ?????  Run and hide - NOW !!  LOL 
Mahavishnu are pretty annoying lol
Yep, they are.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:30

Uh oh, Dr, better run and hide, or you might need a doctor yourself lol! `Khan - Space Shanty' is one of Tom's favourite albums, maybe THE favourite!

As I've mentioned to him before, I really like that album, but to my ears the vocals date it terribly. I think I even mentioned to him that they sometimes seem to try to sound like Ozzy Osbourne?! Maybe just me..... :)

U can have my khan album lol. The vocals remind me of nektar tab and wishbone argus. I don't like those 3 much. Too bluesy. Might put them on eBay along with Nursey cryme lol

Edited by dr prog - March 31 2013 at 18:32
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:31

Nick Greenwood sounds cool - Hillage even better.  No, not Ozzy.  Must be just you LOL.  Dunno why, but as much as I love sooooo many albums, Khan just 'do it' for me.  'Grey & Pink' and 'Two Rainbows Daily' not far behind.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:34

U can have my khan album lol. The vocals remind me of nektar tab and wishbone argus. I don't like those 3 much. Too bluesy. Might put them on eBay along with Nursey cryme lol
Andrew Strong is bluesy.  He sucks........
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:35

Yep, they are.

John should stick to acoustic only. Don't like goodman either. Too hillbilly for me
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:42

Yep, they are.

John should stick to acoustic only. Don't like goodman either. Too hillbilly for me
I owned Birds of Fire on 2 occasions - once in 1988 - got rid of it, then around 10 years later - got rid of it.  I tried Visions Of The Emerald......and a friend of mine had the Nothingness & Eternity album.  I love jazzy-prog (or jazz-rock) - 'fusion' itself is weaker for me.  Mahavishnu didn't excite me at all.  Space Shanty does. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:45

Yep, they are.
I owned Birds of Fire on 2 occasions - once in 1988 - got rid of it, then around 10 years later - got rid of it.  I tried Visions Of The Emerald......and a friend of mine had the Nothingness & Eternity album.  I love jazzy-prog (or jazz-rock) - 'fusion' itself is weaker for me.  Mahavishnu didn't excite me at all.  Space Shanty does. 

Maha have a couple of cool songs on each album but most songs are non melodic and just a competition between the musicians. They aren't really composers

Edited by dr prog - March 31 2013 at 18:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>