Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:44
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I could've swore it was 'Getting In Tune' (off 'Open')...
Incidentally, I love that tune, and a few others off that album.
'Open' is a bleedin' great album   Thumbs Up .
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 22:36

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Uh oh, Dr, better run and hide, or you might need a doctor yourself lol! `Khan - Space Shanty' is one of Tom's favourite albums, maybe THE favourite!

As I've mentioned to him before, I really like that album, but to my ears the vocals date it terribly. I think I even mentioned to him that they sometimes seem to try to sound like Ozzy Osbourne?! Maybe just me..... :)
Nick Greenwood sounds cool - Hillage even better.  No, not Ozzy.  Must be just you LOL.  Dunno why, but as much as I love sooooo many albums, Khan just 'do it' for me.  'Grey & Pink' and 'Two Rainbows Daily' not far behind.

Heh...you are not alone I think Space Shanty is a very good lp and I  know 2 other guys who are hard core prog heads near me who love it also.... Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 01:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Speaking about Canterbury related acts - here's an unusual item :
... and a section of The Amoeba Song (Incredible String Band).  Some of the original pieces which D.S. helped shape are also pretty cool, not to mention the Neil character, whose banter is just side-splitting.  Great album that slipped under the radar somewhat. 

I would be willing to suggest that the ISB pre-dated Dave Stewart ... though we might consider that he was just a kid at the time having fun!

But I would think that ISB is a really good group that can easily match up the "beat poet" attitude in so many artists associated with "Canterbury" ... which Robin Williamson has mentioned before as influences, although they were more because "they were there" than it was a meaningful artistic, musical or literary influence.
'A Very Cellular Song' from which the 'Amoeba Song' was taken, is a masterpiece track from ISB.  ISB have some terrific albums out there. 'Liquid Acrobat As Regards The Air' is my fave, but I've only held on to a few of their albums.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 05:48
As much as I don't like Robert Wyatt's voice very much, I've really fallen in love for the first time with the first Matching Mole album! His drumming, as always, is simply exceptional, and since it had been years since I'd properly heard it, I'd never noticed before all the little dark touches throughout the album. There's a real brooding and snapping tension to much of the instrumental peices that make up most of the album, and the guitar frequently gets this very snarling unnerving sound.

The album also has some of the scratchiest Mellotron I've heard alongside Smell of Incense's `Through The Gates of Deeper Slumber'!

I think I used to dimiss this album too much because I'm not much of a fan of `O Caroline', even though the words have a lovely sentiment that I appreciate more these days than I used to!

It's that second track with those God-awful wordless multi-layered harmonies that I find unbearable. I've heard a demo of it on a remastered CD that is just excruciating to my ears!

The words on the hammy third track `Signed Curtain' grate on me a little bit (it's kind of amusing once, annoying after that!), but the piano and the actual melody are simply wonderful! Have to say, I'm curious about that rather ominous and eerie ending that comes out of nowhere....

Then track 4 onwards is just a blur of stunning instrumental passages!!

Finally got to love it, Tom!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 06:26
I love that first Matching Mole album - I think I almost got busted flogging the LP at a record fair, but nothing happened (paranoia...) - let's see - a beautiful Spring day late '89 - I also got Quicksilver's 'Just For Love' from that fair.  I love Wyatt's Mellotron, I love Sinclair's organ, but I still go for 'Little Red Record' more. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 07:05
I still haven't gotten "into" Little Red Record, but it needs more time.  I've had Matching Mole's debut for many many years though, and have always loved it from start to finish.  The last track "Immediate Curtain", all on Mellotron, is the coolest.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 14:38
The Little Red is my favorite. I ordered the new remastred one with 2 Cd's. The second is a live.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:23
I've always speculated on how Wyatt's drumming would've evolved had he not had his accident.  He was such a 'natural' drummer in S.M. and I thought his drumming on Little Red Record was tremendous.  Maybe he might've ended up like Phil Collins Shocked.................
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:28
I like the 2 Matching mole albums. I have the 2cd version of the debut. Has a couple of nice bonus tracks. The vocals aren't great but most of their stuff is instrumental anyway. Caroline is cool too Tongue
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:33
Dr, don't worry about my little hang-ups about Wyatt's voice, most people really like him. I probably go on about it a bit too much!

Tom, I couldn't imagine Wyatt end up as the `bored horny housewives singer of choice' like Phil did lol!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 00:37

Dr, don't worry about my little hang-ups about Wyatt's voice, most people really like him. I probably go on about it a bit too much!

Tom, I couldn't imagine Wyatt end up as the `bored horny housewives singer of choice' like Phil did lol!
 Disney perhaps ???  Wyatt and Tarzan have more in common with each other than Phil and Tarzan.... LOL
I was thinking about drumming skills...................
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 01:02
If anyone has watched Henry Cow footage, notice how Chris Cutler drums ............ LOL - I've never seen anyone drum like that !!!  And he's bloody marvellous........
I wonder what kind of organ Tim Hodgkinson plays ???
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:41
Not seen that foortage, Tom, maybe I'll dig out my Henry Cow albums next...I seem to be having a bit of a `reawakening' with some unappreciated titles I own. I think `Little Red Record' will be next for now! :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 03:28

Not seen that foortage, Tom, maybe I'll dig out my Henry Cow albums next...I seem to be having a bit of a `reawakening' with some unappreciated titles I own. I think `Little Red Record' will be next for now! :)
Any of the 'sock' albums will do LOL - LegEnd especially...............the track 'Amygdala' is pure Canterbury bliss............
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:03

If anyone has watched Henry Cow footage, notice how Chris Cutler drums ............ LOL - I've never seen anyone drum like that !!!  And he's bloody marvellous........ 

He's self-taught and took a fairly unorthodox approach to drumming - but the result is marvelous indeed.  Approve
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:06
Any links to watch? Geek

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:31
I've always loved Cutler on this, and it does show how mad he looks when he's really groovingLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:41
Every band should have a bassoon player.  

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:44
The lack of bassoons is slowly eroding the possibilities of new music being made. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 10:08
And speaking of bassoons, here's a trio of tracks from Lindsay Cooper's "Rags" soundtrack.  Love this soundtrack.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>