Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 12:17
Originally posted by IGNEO1991 IGNEO1991 wrote:

If you have some time (not to flaunt my stuff)- but i made a couple of tracks inspired by National health and Egg- a couple of demos that are ust rough mixes. https://soundcloud.com/ZOPPofficial

Good for you, my friend, and I just noticed you mention it in another thread too with a positive response! Will give it a listen when I get home from work!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 05:15

If you have some time (not to flaunt my stuff)- but i made a couple of tracks inspired by National health and Egg- a couple of demos that are ust rough mixes. https://soundcloud.com/ZOPPofficial

Gave a listen, good stuff my friend, you should be really proud of it! Any thought of a proper album release at some point?
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 06:15
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Gave a listen, good stuff my friend, you should be really proud of it! Any thought of a proper album release at some point?

Thank you so much for listening! and thanks for the really positive feedback- you made my day :D. 

Well, at the moment the tracks are rough demos as you can hear- which i will re-record/ re-mix- but i have about 3 or 4 more tracks which are in a similar (Canterbury/jaga jazzist inspired) sound which i hope to complete soon.

Wow, not to inflate my ego, but do you really think it is album quality music? I'm not sure about a proper album release- as i don't know any labels that would be interested. However, when i am happy with the mix of a few tracks i will put them on a bandcamp page where you can download them for free - high quality- if you want. 

Thank you for your time and words again!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 07:07
I agree with Michael, Good stuff. Thumbs Up As you say, you need to work more on the mix. Sometimes that sounds a little too linear. May be the drums. I don't know. I  have to listen more.

Franck Dervieux (Quebec 1972)

Crossover prog, but I hear some Canterbury influences : Soft Machine I and 2 ...etc. I like it a lot.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 09:40

I quite liked it as well. Mellotron goodness! Adventurous instrumental in the sense where it was not repititious at all. Lots of hooks and changes. Pretty solid. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 09:42

Thank you so much for listening! and thanks for the really positive feedback- you made my day :D. 
Well, at the moment the tracks are rough demos as you can hear- which i will re-record/ re-mix- but i have about 3 or 4 more tracks which are in a similar (Canterbury/jaga jazzist inspired) sound which i hope to complete soon.
 <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Wow, not to inflate my ego, but do you </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">really think it is album quality music? </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">I'm not sure about a proper album release- as i don't know any labels that would be interested. However, when i am happy with the mix of a few tracks i will put them on a bandcamp page where you can download them for free - high quality- if you want. </span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">Thank you for your time and words again!</span>

Hey man. I just want to say that your 'Zopp' project is pretty awesome. I enjoyed it. Very clever. I Can tell you put a ton of work into it. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 09:58
IGNEO1991, I very much trust the opinions of these two above guys, so you should be proud of your efforts! Put it this way, I buy a lot of instrumental prog albums, very easy to listen to especially at my desk at work, and the sort of music you make would be perfect for that!

I think your idea of the Bandcamp page would be spot on! Keep at it!
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 10:49
Thanks again guys- i will keep you updated on the Zopp 'unsigned' page on this forum, when i have added somemore stuff. Cheers for the feedback again- any negative /critical feedback is also accepted :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 12:04

Thanks again guys- i will keep you updated on the Zopp 'unsigned' page on this forum, when i have added somemore stuff. Cheers for the feedback again- any negative /critical feedback is also accepted :)

Hey listen you've got an interesting sound that is neither typical or boring. It takes quite a bit for an instrumental to crab my attention, so I am very pleased to have discovered why you bring sound wise.
I'm following you on SOUNDCLOUD, so I can be in the loop for what you bring.
Thanks again and welcome to PA!

Oh and in the spirit of this Canterbury thread I shall say that your track was a GONG SHOW!!!!

Lol.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 21:26
Olivier! View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2013 at 21:43
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I agree with Michael, Good stuff. Thumbs Up As you say, you need to work more on the mix. Sometimes that sounds a little too linear. May be the drums. I don't know. I  have to listen more.

Franck Dervieux (Quebec 1972)

Crossover prog, but I hear some Canterbury influences : Soft Machine I and 2 ...etc. I like it a lot.

this gem from my "patrie" has to be reedited for sure
Franck Dervieux died but some members of the band has formed another band and has done a really good album to listen too similar to this
Contraction - La Bourse ou la Vie
that album need a listen too!

PS : i love this thread a lot and that keeps me clicking on my progarchive forum tab since some weeks! Keeps going on guys!

Edited by Olivier! - June 25 2013 at 21:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2013 at 01:01
Yeah. Thumbs Up The Contraction's album is terrific too,

Love the chords of that song, kind of happy Bobby Wyatt Wink

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 05:37

I like the upbeat melody of V, the odd time signature and quirkiness of Zero works well as a soundscape to a new beginning in one's life or a crescendo to change. Some excellent synth and mellotrons are always nice and spiritually fulfilling.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - July 08 2013 at 05:39
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 13:49
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

AXIS (Greece 1973)

One of my favorite 'oddball' 'Canterbury' lp's...Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 10:29

From the early 70's
aarongoldich View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 07:41
Hello everyone,
I am new to ProgArchives forums, so hopefully this is an appropriate post for this section of the forum!
My name is Aaron Goldich and I have a new Progressive/Psychedelic/Canterbury-style group called Ampledeed that I would love to share with you.
You can check out the sounds of the debut release at http://ampledeed.com/ampledeed_004.htm
We would like to think that we make unique, colorful sounding music that is engaging and diverse!
Influenced by bands like Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson.
Here is a link to some favorable reviews we have recently received from BabyBlaue, Expose.org, Cosmos Music, and more : http://www.ampledeed.com/ampledeed_005.htm

Thanks everyone! Its good to be here at ProgArchives!

-Aaron
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2013 at 13:33
Originally posted by aarongoldich aarongoldich wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am new to ProgArchives forums, so hopefully this is an appropriate post for this section of the forum!
My name is Aaron Goldich and I have a new Progressive/Psychedelic/Canterbury-style group called Ampledeed that I would love to share with you.
You can check out the sounds of the debut release at http://ampledeed.com/ampledeed_004.htm
We would like to think that we make unique, colorful sounding music that is engaging and diverse!
Influenced by bands like Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Pink Floyd and King Crimson.
Here is a link to some favorable reviews we have recently received from BabyBlaue, Expose.org, Cosmos Music, and more : http://www.ampledeed.com/ampledeed_005.htm

Thanks everyone! Its good to be here at ProgArchives!

-Aaron
Have you given any consideration to setting up a bandcamp.com site?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 23:41
Canterbury regulars, what's you opinion on the album Cos - Viva Boma? Been giving it a few spins after buy it recently, and while it's kind of quirky and nice, I don't respond to it as well as oher Canterbury albums.

Opinions/thoughts?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 01:32
For some reason I had a tough time adjusting to it too, but I did come around eventually, it's a beautiful album and one of the most beloved albums around here. I think it was the fuzzed distorted bass that made me keep returning to it, Don't give up man!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 01:43
I don't plan on giving it up on it, my friend! I like the music just fine, it's the damn vocals that grate on me....kind of drifts a little too close to the first Zao album and some of those Henry Cow ones for my liking!

Will keep at it!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>