Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanterbury Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 16:51
Listen to some of the earliest Rascals.
There is some pure organ-driven Canterbury sound there. Better than many of the origionals, I'd venture to say
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 23:20
I know them. We're god, happy accidents and Ridin on a Bummer are among my favorite albums. Fantastic and unclassifiable music. I admit that we can hear the sound of Canterbury there, but also all the harmonious and melodic madness of Frank Zappa.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:00
Originally posted by lady_rachel lady_rachel wrote:

Hi people, I need help
I might sound stupid but It's been years that I'm obsessed with the Canterbury scene and  I'm about to make a trip to Europe. Since the city is only one-two hours from London, I have this idea of actually visiting Caterbury. But It doesn't seem to exist any kind of structure, dedicated to what happened, musically, there.
I can't even locate the prog fans community there. I don't know if its me not looking effectively or people in Canterbury that simply just don't care (?)
Ermm

Maybe this will help......it explains the connection in some detail regarding why it's called the Canterbury scene.

There is debate about the existence and definition of the scene. Dave Stewart has complained at the nomenclature as he and many other musicians identified with the Canterbury scene never had anything to do with Canterbury, the place. The former Soft Machine bassist Hugh Hopper, who lived in Whitstable, near Canterbury, said: "I think it's a rather artificial label, a journalistic thing... I don't mind it, but people like Robert [Wyatt], he in fact hates that idea, because he was born somewhere else and just happened to go to school here. In the time when the Wilde Flowers started we hardly ever worked in Canterbury. It wasn't until Robert and Daevid went to London to start Soft Machine that anything happened at all. They weren't really a Canterbury band [...] if it helps people understand or listen to more music then it is fine." [4]

Hopper's family, however, lived in the city and the Wilde Flowers did play many of their early gigs in Canterbury, notably at the Beehive Club, in Dover Street, and the city's various colleges. It was at a Students Union-organised event at Canterbury Technical College that Soft Machine gigged with Pink Floyd – twice, before and after Floyd were signed to a record deal, and it was in a house in Whitstable (within the Canterbury City Council area) that Caravan went into rehearsal for some months before moving to London and a recording contract.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171819