Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU.S. Supreme Court Considers Gay Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Poll Question: What is your opinion on this?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [73.33%]
1 [1.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.67%]
9 [12.00%]
2 [2.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

you mean slow relative to its constitution and Bill of Rights
Probably. I was referring to emancipation and descrimination in general. I guess a specific example would be the 100 years between the Emancipation Proclamation and the Voting Rights Act.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 04:02
ah yes, the bondage of emancipation

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 11:43
That it might be legally accepted is much different to say that in other countries it will be culturally accepted.

In some things, yes, specially commerce-related. In others, the rest of the world doesn't really pay much attention to US (or UK's, or Europe) laws.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 12:37
I know it's like 4 pages later, but I'd just like to clarify since apparently people are arguing about me.

I didn't in any way mock Alex's beliefs, just his opinion that he has the responsibility to try and force them on other people.  Which is bullsh*t.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 13:15
True
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 13:43
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I didn't in any way mock Alex's beliefs, just his opinion that he has the responsibility to try and force them on other people.  Which is bullsh*t.

I am sure he would be upset if he were in a land with a Muslim majority, and was accosted at every turn with Islamic fundamentalists forcibly foisting their beliefs on him. But at least he wouldn't have to worry about gay marriage there. I believe it is a beheading offense still, isn't it?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 13:46
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

That it might be legally accepted is much different to say that in other countries it will be culturally accepted.

In some things, yes, specially commerce-related. In others, the rest of the world doesn't really pay much attention to US (or UK's, or Europe) laws.
*shrug* I stand corrected.
What?
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 20:22
Hey Dean, forgot to mention yesterday that I replied to you in the atheist thread; didn't know if you had seen it as yet.  I don't really have time to spend on here tonight but I wanted to let you know I had replied.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 20:32
Roger/Dark Elf:

First of all, nowhere in Scripture does it say that God hates homosexuals.  It says that He condemns their behavior.  There's a big difference.  God also condemns my own pride, lust, and selfishness, but I believe that I am forgiven because Jesus Christ died on my behalf.  All those who believe, homosexual or heterosexual, will also be forgiven:
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." 

Secondly,

Originally posted by Dictionary Dictionary wrote:

Objective (adj): Having actual existence or reality.

Yes, I do know what the word means, I'm just using a different definition than the one you're thinking of.  I never said that everyone who makes a truth claim has an objective perspective.  I said that religious and moral truth claims are objective because they don't deal with subjective criteria that differ from person to person but with reality. 

I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 22:46

/QUOTE]
I am sure he would be upset if he were in a land with a Muslim majority, and was accosted at every turn with Islamic fundamentalists forcibly foisting their beliefs on him. But at least he wouldn't have to worry about gay marriage there. I believe it is a beheading offense still, isn't it?
/QUOTE]

Very interesting...

Edited by AlexDOM - April 07 2013 at 23:07
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 22:48
[QUOTE=Ambient Hurricanes]Roger/Dark Elf:

First of all, nowhere in Scripture does it say that God hates homosexuals.  It says that He condemns their behavior.  There's a big difference.  God also condemns my own pride, lust, and selfishness, but I believe that I am forgiven because Jesus Christ died on my behalf.  All those who believe, homosexual or heterosexual, will also be forgiven:

TRUE DAT!!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 08:39
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Roger/Dark Elf:

Secondly,

Originally posted by Dictionary Dictionary wrote:

Objective (adj): Having actual existence or reality.

Yes, I do know what the word means, I'm just using a different definition than the one you're thinking of.  I never said that everyone who makes a truth claim has an objective perspective.  I said that religious and moral truth claims are objective because they don't deal with subjective criteria that differ from person to person but with reality. 

That's the worse misused of "objective/subjective" I've seen for awhile. I assumed you would have been aware that you cannot mix the differing definitions of words on a whim because the various meanings are only applicable within the contexts they are being used. It seems I was wrong.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 08:41
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

TRUE DAT!!!
So let them marry under the eyes of god if that is their wish then. Approve
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

TRUE DAT!!!
So let them marry under the eyes of god if that is their wish then. Approve

Even if there is a god, (not dismissing it outright, but not a believer - I'm one of those fence-riders), the universe is pretty freaking huge and I would think any such god would have a lot of other issues to worry about than whether John and Bob are getting hitched or doing the nasty.  Even if the Earth was really the center of the universe (a rather egocentric view in my perspective) there are still a lot of other problems here on Earth that should concern god more than homosexuality, e.g. war, murder, disease, poverty, etc., etc.  If any god were so homophobic (I would hope a god would be advanced enough to be beyond such bigotry) that it was more concerned about homosexual marriage than say war and poverty, then that's not a god that I want any part of. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 11:05

It says that He condemns their behavior.  There's a big difference.  God also condemns my own pride, lust, and selfishness, but I believe that I am forgiven because Jesus Christ died on my behalf. 

But what is there to condemn about it if that's just the way the guy is?  Sorry, but to me, that sounds very regressive and it would have to be coming from a text written thousands of years back.    If one side can take shelter under religion to judge others in a very prejudiced way, the other side is entitled to take shelter under freedom of expression to pay right back in the same coin.   I cannot and will not accept religious belief as a sound reason to judge another person.   Religious belief is for the person himself to judge his own actions as to whether he has or hasn't incurred the wrath of his God, not impose on others and pooh pooh their choices.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

It says that He condemns their behavior.  There's a big difference.  God also condemns my own pride, lust, and selfishness, but I believe that I am forgiven because Jesus Christ died on my behalf. 

But what is there to condemn about it if that's just the way the guy is?  Sorry, but to me, that sounds very regressive and it would have to be coming from a text written thousands of years back.    If one side can take shelter under religion to judge others in a very prejudiced way, the other side is entitled to take shelter under freedom of expression to pay right back in the same coin.   I cannot and will not accept religious belief as a sound reason to judge another person.   Religious belief is for the person himself to judge his own actions as to whether he has or hasn't incurred the wrath of his God, not impose on others and pooh pooh their choices.

Interesting point that raises an issue I've always been puzzled by i.e. assuming that sexual orientation is a given, and not a choice, wouldn't the idea of homosexuality as a sin become a spurious one? There is clearly a choice involved in secular crimes like murder, rape, arson, stealing etc and also religious sins like greed, gluttony, lust etc but can the same be true for homosexuality? Listening to religious types I often get the impression they have judged people guilty of nothing more than being sincere without any chance of a fair trial: Imagine being a defense lawyer for that poor Devil:

He was a murderer from the beginning Confused (John 8:44 - just after the autoerotic guitar soloEmbarrassed)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 12:01
Oeps, is this twisting towards another freewill thread? Shocked
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:02
Gay affirming Christian here, and proud of it!  It is NOT unbiblical, regardless of what the false prophets say! Wink
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 16:18
Condemning a form of behavior based on religious beliefs does not give the condemner the right to stop someone from engaging in the condemned behavior.  

Instead of thumping on a bible thump on some bass and drums.  Live and let live!  
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 23:12
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Condemning a form of behavior based on religious beliefs does not give the condemner the right to stop someone from engaging in the condemned behavior.  

Instead of thumping on a bible thump on some bass and drums.  Live and let live!  

Indeed. Can never understand why people want to force others to abide by their belief system. Quite selfish if you ask me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>