Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU.S. Supreme Court Considers Gay Marriage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
Poll Question: What is your opinion on this?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [73.33%]
1 [1.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.67%]
9 [12.00%]
2 [2.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:02
^I don't think that's what true conservatives would want. Though Neo-Cons would probably disagree with me.

If something is a sin in the eyes of somebody, do we have to force him to think otherwise? As long as that somebody doesn't want to control other people's lives based on his definition of sin, I don't see why would we have to attack opinions.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:13
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

^I don't think that's what true conservatives would want. Though Neo-Cons would probably disagree with me.

If something is a sin in the eyes of somebody, do we have to force him to think otherwise? As long as that somebody doesn't want to control other people's lives based on his definition of sin, I don't see why would we have to attack opinions.

The problem Teo is that they do want to control other people's lives based on their definition of sin.  I don't care if someone's definition of sin is walking and chewing gum at the same time as long as they keep it to themselves, don't do it, and leave everyone else alone with their beliefs.  I don't want to force anyone to think anything differently, but not wanting them to control my life or the lives of others is not a "war on religion" - I know you didn't use that term, but it's become popular on the right. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 12:16
You've consistently shown a desire to control other people's lives based on your own definition of sin.  Just saying

Time always wins.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 12:22
We all want to control other people's lives to some degree based on our own or societal definitions of sin, for example murder.  On the other hand, what I am talking about above are sins of "moral turpitude" only. There are no victims to the acts for which the religious right wants to control us.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

^And that is your business why?  Even if we take some 2000 year old poorly written novel as the word of god (the equivalent of me taking Action Comics #1 as the word of superman), why is it your business?  If you are "right" with your god, isn't other people's relationship with their god, their own business and none of yours?

Well actually I'm commanded to share with others the Gospel, well it's more of a blessing to share in, not so much a burden (which Christians including I sometimes fall susceptible to.

Edited by AlexDOM - April 04 2013 at 15:43
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

^And that is your business why?  Even if we take some 2000 year old poorly written novel as the word of god (the equivalent of me taking Action Comics #1 as the word of superman), why is it your business?  If you are "right" with your god, isn't other people's relationship with their god, their own business and none of yours?

Well actually I'm commanded to share with others the Gospel, well it's more of a blessing to share in, not so much a burden (which Christians including I sometimes fall susceptible to.

Shame  your God is a homophobe
Help me I'm falling!
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:32
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I love how you capitalized the g.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 18:10

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I love how you capitalized the g.
Well, he wasn't referring to gods in general, but specifically, just yours, and while some of us avoid the capitalisation so as to refer to all the gods of man, it is somewhat universally adopted to capitalise the god of Abraham, also known as Yahweh (Jehovah) or Elohim even among non-believers to avoid any ambiguity. In this instance he isn't accusing Apollo or Wodin.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 18:52

I don't think he's equating homosexuality with bestiality; I think he's arguing more for a foot-in-the-door type of theory, where permitting one thing would open the floodgates for more and more permissiveness.  I think there's something to that theory, although I disagree with the idea that more permissiveness is a bad thing.

Yes I am equating them, sin is sin according to scripture and in God's eyes. Sure some carry different consequences and weight, but both are against God and separate us from Him apart from Christ. 
Although sexual sin is in a category on its own compared to others for numerous reasons.
Sin is a religious construct. Outside religion there is no sin. You can only apply the rules of your club to club members. If some of those rules just happen to be the same as some of the rules of another club you should not expect that other club to adopt all your rules and then enforce them on their members.  If a religious "sin" is not a secular crime then you cannot enforce it upon people who are not in your club.

There is a difference between proselytising and forcing.

Edited by Dean - April 04 2013 at 18:52
What?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 21:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've always thought polygamy as a form of masochism. Polynagging, polybackseat driving, ploytake the trash out, poly-mother-in-laws? Ermm No thanks.

Hear, hear.

...Hear hear.

That's adorable.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 21:11
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

That's adorable.

You made me chortle.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 22:16

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I don't think he's equating homosexuality with bestiality; I think he's arguing more for a foot-in-the-door type of theory, where permitting one thing would open the floodgates for more and more permissiveness.  I think there's something to that theory, although I disagree with the idea that more permissiveness is a bad thing.

Yes I am equating them, sin is sin according to scripture and in God's eyes. Sure some carry different consequences and weight, but both are against God and separate us from Him apart from Christ. 
Although sexual sin is in a category on its own compared to others for numerous reasons.

I agree that "sin is sin" and that all sin separates us from God, but I don't think that means we can equate all of them.  There's a reason that God allowed David polygamous relationships but punished him for his affair with Bathsheba, for example.

I also am curious about what about sexual sin you think distinguishes it from other sins.  It seems to me that you're implying that it's more serious?  Although I can't presume that I'm interpreting your statement correctly. 
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 03:13

I have been relatively often to black Africa in communities where polygamy is the cultural norm and I can assure you that those women do not feel abused or exploited or taken advantage of, on the contrary often being married with a successful and respected man is a source of pride and a sense of achievement for them (the number of wives frequently denotes success and respect for that man since they are only allowed to marry women as long as they can maintain them providing them a respectable living standard).

Ah wait, of course all those millions of poor Africans go to hell when they die because your God did not care to reveal himself to them and convert them to his faith Confused

Personally I have no interest in having more than one partner and from the point of view of equality of rights for all genders and individuals I think that advanced societies should tend to abandon the custom of polygamy (or alternatively equate it with polyandry), but for sure not because of religious grounds, it's simply a cultural aspect.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 07:17

Well actually I'm commanded to share with others the Gospel, well it's more of a blessing to share in, not so much a burden (which Christians including I sometimes fall susceptible to..

Share with people willing to listen (I'm not one), but you might find with opinions as ridiculous as the ones you've expressed here, the people willing to listen to that rot are quickly evaporating.

I'm glad to see Generation Y has largely rejected the kind of bigotry you fling about nonchalantly.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 07:52

I've always thought polygamy as a form of masochism. Polynagging, polybackseat driving, ploytake the trash out, poly-mother-in-laws? Ermm No thanks.

LOL  I've often said the same thing.  Still, I think that if that's the way people want to roll, and everyone involved is of age, is aware of the situation and consents to it, the law should allow people to have polygamous marriages if they so choose. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 08:00

LOL  I've often said the same thing.  Still, I think that if that's the way people want to roll, and everyone involved is of age, is aware of the situation and consents to it, the law should allow people to have polygamous marriages if they so choose. 
With all these, it's not a question of passing laws allowing them, as scrapping laws that prohibit them.

eek! I almost sound like a librarian. Shocked

What?
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:21
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Well actually I'm commanded to share with others the Gospel, well it's more of a blessing to share in, not so much a burden (which Christians including I sometimes fall susceptible to..

Share with people willing to listen (I'm not one), but you might find with opinions as ridiculous as the ones you've expressed here, the people willing to listen to that rot are quickly evaporating.

I'm glad to see Generation Y has largely rejected the kind of bigotry you fling about nonchalantly.

I expect that type of reaction. You have strengthened my faith. Thank you! 

I'm a religious bigot. I'm a religious bigot.
Actually I hate religion and would agree along with Marx that it is evil, the opium of society.
But nevertheless I'm a bigot!

Edited by AlexDOM - April 05 2013 at 09:23
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:23

I agree that "sin is sin" and that all sin separates us from God, but I don't think that means we can equate all of them.  There's a reason that God allowed David polygamous relationships but punished him for his affair with Bathsheba, for example.

I also am curious about what about sexual sin you think distinguishes it from other sins.  It seems to me that you're implying that it's more serious?  Although I can't presume that I'm interpreting your statement correctly. 
[/QUOTE]

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

And there are some others reasons too.

Edited by AlexDOM - April 05 2013 at 09:35
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:32

That's adorable.

Yeah it really is. I think it is that God would love me so much to use me to witness to others, rather than force Himself on others. Like the opportunity I'm getting now. 

Christ died for all of us to take away our sins and three days later rose again conquering death. That is a very general overview of the Gospel, but if anyone is further interested I would love to share more to you. 

Yeah I know this blog thing is on the gay marriage thing, but I can't help to touch on what has changed my life and can change anyone. Can't hold back the good news!
Especially to share it with people who have a passion for the supreme genre of all music, progressive rock. Prog rules and that is one of the other things in life I love to talk about and grateful that the Lord opened up my eyes to.

Edited by AlexDOM - April 05 2013 at 09:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 09:36

Can't hold back the good news!

You just saved 15% on your car insurance by switching to Jesus? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>