Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find these bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did you find these bands?
    Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:09
I asked my father the other day if he had heard of some of the 70's prog acts I listen to. To name a few, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant, Caravan... And he said no.

This absolutely baffled me, because his music, in general is proggy! David Bowie, Queen, Bryan Ferry. So I suppose, what I'm asking here is, how was it marketed back then? I was told "We didn't have the internet back then to discover music, we just made do''. And it made me wonder, how people found out about these bands? As I'm guessing it was just as niche then as it is now.

Does that make sense? LOL

(By the way, I don't just mean those select few, I mean the whole prog scene, obviously there's a ton of bands/musicians that were active at the time)

Edited by dysoriented - March 27 2013 at 11:15
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:34
I'd have to say (and kudos to the marketing departments), but a lot of the prog bands I followed in the '70s were because of some really striking cover art! It's one of those "the cover's cool so the music must be great!" kind of things.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 11:44
I got into prog in the 80s, not the 70s, but it was still pre-internet.  I discovered a lot of that stuff by way of the Rolling Stone Record Guide.  I read that book from cover to cover several times.  Even that had pretty skimpy coverage of prog, but it was a start.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:13
I met the right people but was never happy with the singles chart so never really liked much "popular" music. Although anyone buying the music press would be aware of anothyer world besides the charts. 

Edited by Snow Dog - March 27 2013 at 12:17
A-JCharron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:13
For me it was also the 80's and two things: Asia first which introduced me to Yes and Wetton-era King Crimson, then hearing ELP's "Still... You Turn Me On" on the radio. The writing, the layering of the sound (Greg Lake's production) just made me want to hear more from that band. Got a couple of their albums over the next few days, then just went on to the other prog bands.
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:14
They came to me in a dream one night.
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:32
Mostly word of mouth and luck!
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:35
I donwloaded Arena bij excedent, found King Crimson because it was said to 'progressive rock' like Arena en then I found progarchives.
MuzikLuva View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:41
For me it was Ummagumma by Pink Floyd.  I saw the album and on the back, all the various instruments laid out.  I had to hear what it sounded like and I was hooked.  Then when I heard Roundabout by Yes on the radio, there was no turning back.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:41
Originally posted by dysoriented dysoriented wrote:

I asked my father the other day if he had heard of some of the 70's prog acts I listen to. To name a few, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant, Caravan... And he said no.

This absolutely baffled me, because his music, in general is proggy! David Bowie, Queen, Bryan Ferry. So I suppose, what I'm asking here is, how was it marketed back then? I was told "We didn't have the internet back then to discover music, we just made do''. And it made me wonder, how people found out about these bands? As I'm guessing it was just as niche then as it is now.

(By the way, I don't just mean those select few, I mean the whole prog scene, obviously there's a ton of bands/musicians that were active at the time)

Ha!  Prog was HUGELY popular back then!  Singles by Yes, ELP, Focus, Flash and other bands received as much airplay back then as Justin Bieber does today!   Rock magazines like Circus were full of news about Yes, Genesis etc.  

National tours by prog bands were some of the largest events in rock, filling the largest venues in big cities!  Many records were broken by Yes and ELP.   My first prog concert was Yes CTTE, 22 September, 1972 (with an unknown band called "The Eagles" opening for them!). 

Back then, we had "record stores" and the best ones had many bins of import albums.  That is how I learned about Magma, Amon Duul II and other bands in 1973.  There were also underground radio stations, like the very progressive and hugely popular TRIAD radio in Chicago.  See this page for the history of "freeform radio"

I believe prog was even more popular in the UK!  Yes held court at the Marquee Club in London etc.  
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:50
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Ha!  Prog was HUGELY popular back then!  Singles by Yes, ELP, Focus, Flash and other bands received as much airplay back then as Justin Bieber does today!   Rock magazines like Circus were full of news about Yes, Genesis etc.  

Not in the UK it wasn't. Most kids never heard of those bands
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 12:52
My older brothers found prog for me, and how they found, I don't know.
I did forget a bit about prog in my teenage years, and through a Rock Encyclopedia that I bought, age 20, I discovered Genesis and Traffic. I recognised the old Genesis records from my youth and got into buying them.
A friend of mine who was into countryrock said: you'll probably going to like Yes too. I tried out the old albums and once again it was déjà vu, or better: déjà entendu: I recognised all the albums of my early youth.
A sister of a friend of mine, who was into Bartok, put on an ELP record and I recognised the music from when I was a kid.
So I rediscovered all the prog gems of my youth and became an active prog fan myself.
In 1987 I went to the Genesis' Invisible Touch tour and there I met someone who promoted a prog magazine. I became a subscriber, and from then on, I discovered all the neo prog bands beside Marillion.
From 1994 on, when I discovered the internet, I tried out websites of bands that I knew.
I often went to the Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock (GEPR).
In 2005 I discovered ProgArchives, and I stayed there ever since.

Edited by Moogtron III - March 27 2013 at 13:01
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 13:45
I found them through friends who were into similar music, music press (standing in the newsagents reading the paper then putting it back), and hours perusing the aisles in record stores. Happy days.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:12
Some Prog bands and albums were as popular as, say, Radiohead or Dream Theater have been in more recent years. For people following a bit what's going on in the music world besides the radio mainstream hits it's not too hard to discover that this music exists. So for example I'm pretty sure that your father knew about DSOTM, Wish You Were Here or Tubular Bells.
Then it's a matter of how much one likes those popular records, those who liked them got to dig a bit further and discovered GG, Crimson or Caravan, but for people who were not particularly attracted by those best known records most of Prog remained obscure and they were happy listening to Bowie, Queen, Lou Reed, Deep Purple etc.

At any rate it was quite popular, if you would go to some party and scrolled through the albums brought by the people, I can tell you that you would surely find some Yes album, Floyd, Camel, ELP, Who etc.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:34
I did not discover prog until the mid to late 80s, though i had superficially been aware of it when i was young in the seventies. A friend lent me some prog albums in 1985, and then i became, as one friend put it, "the beating heart of the used record stores of my city".
      I bought big names, and also took gambles on very obscure albums. Though the cover of a record is not the most important thing, it was a pretty big factor in what i decided to gamble on.
          My prog listening and awareness just mushroomed from then on.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:35
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

It was a strange situation then. Shows such as Top of the Pops were full of glam, crappy "soul" music from the States, and corny pop.

However, the music press then regarded what we call prog or art rock as the epitome, and shows such as Old Grey Whistle Test catered for serious music fans. When Rick Wakeman appeared on this, aided by a news dispute on BBC1, he became an overnight star.

Bands such as Yes, Led Zep, The Who, Deep Purple et al sold albums by the truckload. Serious bands sold out gigs at large venues.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

It was a strange situation then. Shows such as Top of the Pops were full of glam, crappy "soul" music from the States, and corny pop.

However, the music press then regarded what we call prog or art rock as the epitome, and shows such as Old Grey Whistle Test catered for serious music fans. When Rick Wakeman appeared on this, aided by a news dispute on BBC1, he became an overnight star.

Bands such as Yes, Led Zep, The Who, Deep Purple et al sold albums by the truckload. Serious bands sold out gigs at large venues.

I don't deny it. But at school. most of my contempraries  didn't delve into these bands. 
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 15:23
King Crimson - My dad had a guitar book that mentioned several guitarists, one of them being Robert Fripp. Not long after that, I was exposed to most of  In The Court Of The Crimson King via AOL Radio.

Gentle Giant - My dad wanted me to listen to Three Friends. I wasn't too interested, but there were some parts I really liked. It wasn't until I delved further into their output that I stared listening to it more often.

Van Der Graaf Generator - I liked the computer game Lemmings and was curious if there was a song titled "Lemmings" - don't know why, I just wanted to. I think these guys were the first to pop up.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 15:58

I was fortunate to have some friends who were into prog when I was at school. So a lot of discoveries were from them and word of mouth generally.

As has been mentioned already, in the seventies prog was pretty mainstream and was on radio and TV. I discovered a lot of great stuff listening to the likes of Alan Freeman on Radio 1 and watching The Old Grey Whistle Test on BBC2. What memories !

"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
bobthenob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 15:58
As a veteran of the 70's...in LA no less, we relied on word of mouth, knowledgable record store (member those?) clerks, and publications such as Melody Maker, Creem, Rolling Stone, and of course the fun, but often unreliable method of choosing cool album covers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>