Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find these bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 12:37
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by dysoriented dysoriented wrote:

I asked my father the other day if he had heard of some of the 70's prog acts I listen to. To name a few, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant, Caravan... And he said no.

This absolutely baffled me, because his music, in general is proggy! David Bowie, Queen, Bryan Ferry. So I suppose, what I'm asking here is, how was it marketed back then? I was told "We didn't have the internet back then to discover music, we just made do''. And it made me wonder, how people found out about these bands? As I'm guessing it was just as niche then as it is now.

Does that make sense? LOL

(By the way, I don't just mean those select few, I mean the whole prog scene, obviously there's a ton of bands/musicians that were active at the time)

Ha!  Prog was HUGELY popular back then!  Singles by Yes, ELP, Focus, Flash and other bands received as much airplay back then as Justin Bieber does today!   Rock magazines like Circus were full of news about Yes, Genesis etc.  

Not in the UK it wasn't. Most kids never heard of those bands

It was a strange situation then. Shows such as Top of the Pops were full of glam, crappy "soul" music from the States, and corny pop.

However, the music press then regarded what we call prog or art rock as the epitome, and shows such as Old Grey Whistle Test catered for serious music fans. When Rick Wakeman appeared on this, aided by a news dispute on BBC1, he became an overnight star.

Bands such as Yes, Led Zep, The Who, Deep Purple et al sold albums by the truckload. Serious bands sold out gigs at large venues.

I don't deny it. But at school. most of my contempraries  didn't delve into these bands. 
That's because you were too young. Back in those days three years made a huge difference in the friends you associated with and the music you got to listen to - I would never have shared my taste in music with someone three years younger than me or three years older: "And my brother back at home with his Beatles and his Stones, we never got it off on that revolution stuff". My generation lived Prog Rock - seriously; the school playground would be groups of kids swapping albums and talking music - everything from TONTO and White Noise, through Zappa and Beefheart, to Genesis, Yes and Floyd and out the otherside to Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson and Gentle Giant - there were kids into Hawkwind and Gong; other's into Hatfield and Caravan; then the European music stated arriving - like Can, Faust, Focus, PFM, Le Orme, Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul, Kraftwerke. Everyone of those bands I heard while at school from other kids in the playgound, in the common room and more importantly, on the 40 minute bus ride home. It is hard to describe and hard to imagine just how popular all this stuff was between 1970 and 1974. I guess a close parallel would be the arrival of New Wave a few years later - it carried that kind of excitement and that level of interest.

PS: every schoolboy my age knew Flash because of the flash of knickers on the cover. Embarrassed

Edited by Dean - March 28 2013 at 12:41
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 13:26
Between 1970 and 1975 the radio wasn't wall-to-wall Prog but there was a lot of it on evening shows, just as daytime Radio One is crap and evening Radio One has all the music interesting to today's modern teens. It wasn't just "Fluff" Freeman (though even by 1977 he was becoming a parody of himself), before Peel turned traitor he was a supporter of Prog and was responsible for first playing Tubular Bells on the radio when no one had heard of it. With Peel, Pete Drummond, Alan Black, Annie Nightingale (another Prog traitor), Tommy Vance and Bob Harris (who also produced albums by Prog bands Druid and Wally) all played Prog on their evening programmes - Kid Jensen, Emperor Rosco, Stuart Henry, Johnnie Walker, Paul Gambaccini were also known to play a bit of Prog now and then.

IMO, after Ricahrd Williams stopped presenting OGWT it started playing far too much Southern Rock and not enough Prog, once that Prog-traitor Nightingale took over it was all down-hill.

ps: As well as playing the whole of Tubular Bells on his programme, Peel was also supposed to play Hergest Ridge in its entirity on the day of its release, but because Branson took out a full page advert in the music press to advertise this the BBC suits stopped him playing it .. Peel being Peel, played it the day before instead to get around the ban. He also played the whole of Tangerine Dream's Ricochet album a week before it was released, Branson took out a double-page ad after the event (bizzarre - if you can find a copy - it shows a cartoon of giant versions of Froese, Bauman and Franke smashing through a wall).

edit 2: found it:

Edited by Dean - March 28 2013 at 13:51
What?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:59
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It was a strange situation then. Shows such as Top of the Pops were full of glam, crappy "soul" music from the States, and corny pop.

However, the music press then regarded what we call prog or art rock as the epitome, and shows such as Old Grey Whistle Test catered for serious music fans. When Rick Wakeman appeared on this, aided by a news dispute on BBC1, he became an overnight star.

Bands such as Yes, Led Zep, The Who, Deep Purple et al sold albums by the truckload. Serious bands sold out gigs at large venues.

I wish I were over there then!  I lived in Devon, briefly, in 1994-95.  The band "Oasis" was hugely popular, and try as I might, I couldn't find much prog to whet the whistle!    

I'll be back, someday!  Cheers!

axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 21:04
For me, the trick wasn't finding the prog bands on the 70s. As somebody mentioned earlier they put out singles and then again Album-oriented Radio--before the record companies reined it in--made it easier to find the more interesting bands--until bands started not being interested in being interesting--outside of a look or perhaps even interesting textures to their pop instruments. 

The trick was the revelation that prog was out there again in the 90s, that the Long Prog Draught was at an end. Spock's Beard released The Light in 1992 and it took me until 1999, when streaming radio started to pull up a site called "ProgRock Radio" and tuned in to hear Escape by The Rocket Scientists, followed up by something from Jadis and Spock's Beard.

Thanks to the internet, I no longer get the scrunched face suggesting the absurd notion that the guy who known for Games without Frontiers or Shock the Monkey used to sing lead--instead of the guy who sang Against All Odds--for the band that was no famous for Invisible Touch and other top-40 dreck. Almost everybody now knows Peter Gabriel used to front Genesis. 

(On a totally different note, I'm listening to Weidorje on my Birds and Buildings IHeartRadio station--does anybody else think they sound identical to Magma?)
-John
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:26
In the earkt 70s a friend traded me King Crimson's COTCK for Led Zeppelin I.
I was hooked on prog, but didn't have a clue how to find it.
So I searched for albums that had:
1. Awesome cover art
2. Four or less songs per side
3. Musicians who played multiple instruments: guitar, 12-string, double-necked electric, Moogs, ARP string synthesizers, mellotrons, etc.
4. Little to no publicity.
When I went to college I fortunately was fairly good at pool and other (rich) students were not. So I used to take my winnings to a little long-gone record shop in Lakeland Florida called Spec records and start at "A" looking for albums meeting the above criteria. The first week I discovered Camel and Caravan on the same day. Found Genesis, Hawkwind, PFM, Passport and lots others the same way.

PROGMATIC
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 14:32
The radio, this website, friends, my bass teacher, my parents, and YouTube recommendations are how I find bands.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:54

Anyone name an album they bought at the time completely unknowing of the band, just based on the cover?
Was it any good?

As I had my formative years a bit later, I can't vouch for those who started their music interest in the 70's. But as someone who started listening to music a lot in the early 80's, I can most certainly vouch for the sales pitch of a good album cover.

Hawkwind - Choose Your Masques
Rush - Moving Pictures
Camel - Mirage

...a few examples of albums I bought where I didn't know anything about the bands at all when I bought the albums, the combination of cover art and song titles that enticed me into a purchase.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:57
In the 70s, my dad had most of the early Pink Floyd albums (for some reason he didn't bother with the soundtrack albums). Then at school there was a longhaired guy who brought in Jethro Tull & Deep Purple, after that I found things through the music papers
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:58
^^I've done that a lot of times and I can't even remember being let down.

This one I bought in Sweden when I was 15:

One of my favourite psych albums, even if I didn't "get it" the first time around.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 29 2013 at 15:59
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:00
I the early 70's I was introduced to some bands via friends and acquaintances.  Some I heard on the radio.  By the mid-70s I was exploring a number of used record shops, and listening to college radio.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 16:08
Pink Floyd actually found me now that I think of it. 
I was 9 sitting beside a tennis court, and then one of my friends suddenly decides to whack a couple of headphones on my skull, and says "here listen to this, it's incredible". It was the solo of Comfortably Numb, and I honestly haven't looked back since.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 20:58
I'm curious as to how old your dad is. Age has something to do with it but also word of mouth. Maybe your dad didn't have any friends into prog or maybe your dad had no friends period. Back in the day I think it was heard on college radio. It was easier to find out about those bands in general and even outside of college radio a lot rock stations had late night prog shows. At some point probably in the late seventies and early eighties prog became very underground and eventually it became so underground that you didn't hear anything about it unless you went out of your way looking for it. This continued well into the nineties. The internet itself didn't save prog. What has helped a lot in the past ten years or so has been the growing number of prog fans and the growing network especially things like facebook(which I'm not on). I personally found out about some of these older bands through magazines and rock encyclopedias(this was in the 80's before the internet).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 23:05
Like many of my age, it was a matter of being familiar with popular prog bands like Yes, ELP, Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. from the radio and hearing about related bands through word of mouth, concerts, music mags & rags.  Artists going solo, such as Hackett and Gabriel.  Cover art conveyed a certain sensability but was not reliable.  For example, I much prefer Roger Dean's covers for Greenslade over his work for Yes, but I never got into the band.  I did buy an occasional album for the cover, which worked out in an acceptable manner as often as not.   Record store employees were also a good source when they found out what you liked, or even if they had similar tastes.  Sometimes they would play something specifically to get your attention and compel to buy, just like that one scene from Hi Fidelity.  Used record stores would usually let you listen to an album just as most of them will now let you listen to a CD.  There were also specialized magazines and newsletters for specific styles as well as fan clubs.  In a phrase, we had lots of resources back in the so-called day which worked quite well.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
bobthenob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 23:27
Yes, contrary to conventional wisdom, we did have means of gaining info before bits & bytes
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 00:21
Dark Side of the Moon was my intro, from my brother.  King Crimson was on the radio with the title track from the first album.  My intro to Genesis was, FYFM.  Don't throw stuff at me ;).  Really liked the song so I bought the album.  Actually bought it 3 times thinking it was a defective album creating the bad production.  Loved the album and worked my way backwards.  ELP and Yes from junior high.  These two and southern rock was all I heard at school. My intro to Tangerine Dream was when I asked a friend for anything like Pink Floyd without the words.  He gave me Thief.  I was hooked with better stuff to come.  Caravan and Camel were from reading magazines and books.

But I can't remember what I ate for breakfast.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 00:34
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

For me, the trick wasn't finding the prog bands on the 70s. As somebody mentioned earlier they put out singles and then again Album-oriented Radio--before the record companies reined it in

Can still remember Pink Floyd's Echoes and King Crimson's ItCotCK being played on the radio.  Totally floored at what I had heard
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 01:38

The year 1985 saw me on a vacation to Bali (which extended to many other Indonesian islands over the years.....), I bought PF's 'The Wall' and fell in love with it.  I was 13.  I eventually got around to a video at the local video shop entitled 'Live At Pompeii' (which, having no clue, I thought was 'The Wall' performed live Confused).  Anyway, I fell in love with what I heard.

Around 1987, I discovered (pot Wink)  a book in the school library called 'The Encyclopedia Of Rock'.  I nicked that book (I still have it but pretty shabby).
I started hanging out at the 2nd-Hand record shop not far from home at the time (my older sister knew of this shop) - the guy behind the counter (in his mid-20's) turned out to be a fully-fledged Prog-Guru - Doug.  I just asked him for bands that play long songs, and discovered Caravan, Nektar, Amon Duul II, Bo Hansson etc.  I visited that shop almost on a weekly basis for the next 15 years, amassing many awesome Prog records.  Doug has now been head-honcho of that shop for the last few years, and when I'm in town, I always drop in. 
2005 was my discovery of this sacred site called Prog Archives - need I say more ???
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 02:28
Seems denmark was more or less like UK must have been, crap on the daytime radio, but quite a bit of Prog in TV and on nighttime radio, but still if we talk outside the prog elite stuff, yopu had to know someone how told you about it.
Musicians move too, you could discover Fripp from listning to Gabriel or Bowie.
I have found a lot of music by checking who was on the albums, back when no WWW.
I also had a book about rock, made by a journalist from Danish Radio (Jan Sneum - hats off), had all the Prog Acts there, and you could read what they had done and with whom.

For those of you who understand Scandinavian here is one of Serums shows (he is still on DR)
Its a one hour show, about Krautrock, in relation to HOLGER CZUKAY's 75 years birthsday
Its free.

This is about 3 music poets who died this year, one of them Kevin Ayers

Edited by tamijo - March 31 2013 at 03:03
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 12:53

I asked my father the other day if he had heard of some of the 70's prog acts I listen to. To name a few, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gentle Giant, Caravan... And he said no.

My guess is that the only things he knew and heard, was the stuff that was mostly played on the FM dial ... you forgot Pink Floyd, Who and YES and such ....which he has heard, and did not acknowledge ... play for him, Roundabout ... ohh yeah, I heard that!

A lot of the stuff, in mid 70's became a darling thing in the California area I was, specially after the Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin ripped up 100 million dollars each ... and thousands of bands were dumped from most record companies ... which had helped the growth of the FM radio ... and right away, Texaco, and many other companies that owned the record companies, went out and bought the majority of all radio conglomerates around the country to support their product.

All it tells me, is that your dad listened to an FM station or two and that was it ... he had other things to deal with and worry about ... a little babe like you maybe! ... and did not spend the time, or money in music. But many folks think that means it "was not there" ... but it was, but you didn't see the arts because it was not your interest, specially if you were in small town USA ... most of the "progressive" things in America had their foundation in the big cities, not the rest of the country!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 13:04
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

PS: every schoolboy my age knew Flash because of the flash of knickers on the cover. Embarrassed

Warning: Off topic!

I still have that on my wall!

And above it ... of course, is Capability Brown's "Voice" with the zipped lips ... and above that? ... you got it ... "Quatermass"

Always loved those three covers and the concept of putting them in order like that, just seemed right ... !

I liked the original Scorpions cover for their 3rd album, and of course, the original one from Be Bop Deluxe ... which you have to get the poster one ... because it's better than the album cover! I thought about Renate dressed as Marlene ... but that was one of my favorite women in the movies ... so that one was left behind! Now, if you want that picture of Connie Kreski! ... that's mine ... leave it alone!

Ohh well, now I have let folks know what my small private room is all about! ... I call it ... music porn!

Edited by moshkito - March 31 2013 at 13:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>