Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow did you find these bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 18:47
I started my prog journey with Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush, ELP and Yes - through friends, in the mid-70's. That said, I don't really recall these bands being called "prog" back then. 

I didn't get to hear any of the OP's listed bands until much later. 
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 02:07
I kind of started listening to Prog without knowing what I was listening was called Prog. Growing up in Namibia  in the pre-internet era there was nothing that informed me of such a genre. I started buying records by bands called Pink Flyod, Yes, Marillion, ELP,etc. which where actually available there. Somehow I had heard of Pink Floyd and then got into the other stuff. Also being a metal fan I got my hands on Dream Theaterīs When Dream and Day Unite and I think thats when I read the term Prog Metal for the first time in some Metal Magazine. When I move to Germany in the  2000s I discoverd through the www at some stage that there are many bands out there that are similar to Yes or Marillion and thats when I got really into Prog. A lot of my money was  in a matter of several weeks invested into mainly Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Spockīs Beard, Arena, Ayreon, Flower Kings, Triumvirat, IQ. 
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 02:13
Hanging around college bars. Also a very good book and lots of old 70s mags such as Rock, Creem, and Circus. i bought these for Kiss but learnt about lots of bands through a collection of these mags. I wish I still had them though as mum binned them when i left home. 

still i heard of a lot of 70s rock this way and also watching Music Tv shows such as Countdown, Night Moves and Sounds Unlimited. Esp. Rock Arena that introduced me to The Residents, and Toyah. Grateful for that!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 17:48
In the 70's, I got into many prog bands from early FM radio.  ELP's "Lucky Man", Tull's "Living in the Past", Yes' "Roundabout", Focus' "Hocus Pocus", Pink Floyd's "Time" & Procol Harum's "Conquistador" all regularly appeared on 70's FM radio.

There were also 2 weekly late night music TV shows, Friday night was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" on channel 4, Saturday night was "In Concert" on channel 7.  "In Concert" was especially good and showed ELP's performance from the 1974 California Jam.

After that, I made friends with other prog maniacs and we turned each other on to cool prog bands.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 10:50
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

They came to me in a dream one night.

Bologne ... he was too ripped to know the difference and the girl took his idea away!

We didn't "dream" in those days ... we got stoned!

Confused

Clap

Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Oh well  I am obviously barking mad. I never heard Prog on mainstream radio. What else can I say? Just explaing why it is not unusual for his dad not to have heard of those bands.

In Southern California we had a lot of things on mainstream radio ... in LA alone KMET and KLOS were famous and they became the subject in "Radio Kaos" ... Santa Barbara had Guy Guden ... San Francisco had a lot as well, and even the well known Michael Donohue was major in these things. However, of all these, other than KNAC in Los Angeles, and Guy in Santa Barbara, I am not aware that ANYONE, ever played anything that had lyrics and singing in a foreign language.

Madison, WI (late 60's) did NOT have these, but I do not remember the FM station there (the first one in America btw going back to 1930's at the University!) and the pop radio DID play Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Light My Fire, Piece of My Heart, Have Another Hit, Purple Haze and such ... but the concept of longer cuts and better music was not a part of the radio I remember in Madison at all, but was in California.

But the "English" scene was already a strong part of my listening ... so the additions in California, for me, was ... the rest of the world! 

PS: Don't make me play David Watts for Dean ... he will personally shoot down my Kinks record collection with a shotgun! So would Guy Guden for that matter, for insulting his dress-wear in those days!

Edited by moshkito - April 02 2013 at 12:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

In the 70's, I got into many prog bands from early FM radio.  ELP's "Lucky Man", Tull's "Living in the Past", Yes' "Roundabout", Focus' "Hocus Pocus", Pink Floyd's "Time" & Procol Harum's "Conquistador" all regularly appeared on 70's FM radio.
There were also 2 weekly late night music TV shows, Friday night was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" on channel 4, Saturday night was "In Concert" on channel 7.  "In Concert" was especially good and showed ELP's performance from the 1974 California Jam.
After that, I made friends with other prog maniacs and we turned each other on to cool prog bands.
Did you happen to see Triumvirat on "In Concert"?   (January 1975)

Edited by presdoug - April 02 2013 at 15:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:05
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat?  That would've been so cool!  Didn't see it, do you recall what they played?  Perhaps the opening song of Spartacus?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:10

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat?  That would've been so cool!  Didn't see it, do you recall what they played?  Perhaps the opening song of Spartacus?
They played the complete music from Illusions On A Double Dimple-both suites. The concert was filmed during a night on their tour in the fall of 1974 supporting Fleetwood Mac. I'd give anything to be able to see that footage.

Edited by presdoug - April 02 2013 at 16:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:16
The complete Double Dimple???  That would have been amazing.  Spartacus is great but I think I like Double Dimple more.  I just had a look on youtube and unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any Triumvirat concert videos from the Spartacus/Double Dimple years.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:24
^I contacted the host of "In Concert" at that time, Don E. Branker, and he said all the In Concert videos from that time were thrown out. I suppose someone watching it somewhere could have taped it on reel to reel, but i don't know for sure.

Edited by presdoug - April 02 2013 at 16:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:30
Sux.  I'm afraid to think of what other great prog footage they might have thrown away  Violin
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 17:15
Found the music I have grown to love browsing a store in Hillbrow (Johannesburg) called Hillbrow records. Also through friends who enjoyed the same kind of music that I did. I loved an old valve radio that my grandfather cast out and I used to tune into Radio Nederland late at night - they played a lot of my type of music there - especially on a Sunday Night at one time (I found Radio Nederland trawling the shortwave bands). This was in the very early 70's and my love for music sprang at an early age - around 12 years of age I was then. Since that time I've been a record / album collecting nutcase and I've gathered everything that I could lay my hands on for the past 40 years or so - mainly prog or what we call prog. I had a "lunatic" (I use that term very fondly) friend who hailed from the UK and who lived in South Africa who built his own synthesizer - he was kind of an electronic wunderkind - and he loved keyboard work, loved ELP, Colliseum, Rick Wakeman, etc. Through him I met Julian Laxton and Trevor Rabin during Rabin's time with Rabbitt (South African top rock band). My mother is an award winning classically trained pianist and she loved classical music (Liszt etc) and I suppose I inherited the gene from her right in the beginning although I've always kind of rebelled against the classical music thing in favor of prog rock music.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 22:46
My way into prog was only from my brother who had PF's Dark Side of the Moon.  He had a quad receiver and although he did not have a quad recording, the receiver simulated quad.  I had never heard anything like it.  I got into King Crimson after hearing In the Court of the Crimson King on the radio.  I found Tangerine Dream when I asked a friend if he had anything like PF but without the vocals and he came back with Thief.  Other groups were going thru friends record collections,  some was reading magazines.  A little bit of everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234