Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Were the Moody Blues always listed as "crossover?"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere the Moody Blues always listed as "crossover?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were the Moody Blues always listed as "crossover?"
    Posted: March 27 2013 at 16:28
Just wondering if the Moody Blues were always listed as crossover prog on PA or if they had another description previously. I would consider them art rock or proto prog but I don't disagree with crossover either.

Also, no need to yell at me for posting this in the wrong place. Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 20:09
Should be in proto but whatevs
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 22:04
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Just wondering if the Moody Blues were always listed as crossover prog on PA or if they had another description previously. I would consider them art rock or proto prog but I don't disagree with crossover either.

Also, no need to yell at me for posting this in the wrong place. Wink

I always get a bit confused by these categories like proto, crossover, and eclectic....many of the bands could easily fit in any of the 3 areas.
I really like the Moodies and played both Threshold and Children recently, but I never reall saw them as being all that progressive.....
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 02:40
I think they could easily be in 'eclectic' but that tends to be reserved for bands that are not at all pop orientated or radio friendly like King Crimson or Gentle Giant but otherwise don't fit any other categories. So Crossover was (I guess) invented for more 'commercial' artists. Peter Gabriel is in Crossover so they are in good company!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 03:44
We used to have an Art Rock sub genre. It was split into 3 to become Xover, Heavy and eclectic. Anything in any of these categories is therefore effectively deemed "Art rock" by those teams.
Kosmonaut View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 05:29
I think they were in proto-prog before.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 06:04
Originally posted by Kosmonaut Kosmonaut wrote:

I think they were in proto-prog before.
Not to my knowlege. Procol Harum were.
What?
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 15:21
Proto is a good category for the MB.

As for art rock, wouldn't prog related also be a part of that? Heavy prog could be pure prog without being art rock also imo. Obviously sometimes these terms become difficult to define. There's still people out there who don't consider fusion or other subgenres for that matter to be a part of prog. PA to it's credit seems to be very open minded about what it considers to be prog(for the most part).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 14:36

Proto is a good category for the MB.

As for art rock, wouldn't prog related also be a part of that? Heavy prog could be pure prog without being art rock also imo. Obviously sometimes these terms become difficult to define. There's still people out there who don't consider fusion or other subgenres for that matter to be a part of prog. PA to it's credit seems to be very open minded about what it considers to be prog(for the most part).

Too much of the "heavy" prog is just loudness ... and should not even be considered ... heavy.

I kinda like art rock better, because that takes the need to re-define their music any further, specially when some of the sub-divisions are just about some of our own design and ideas, than they are a reality.

It's just strange to me to hear "Edgar Broughton Band" do a 10/12 minute piece on VietNam, and that is not "heavy", but a loud organ, or something else, rather than lyrics, would make it "heavier" than EBB, in that and many other pieces! It's just scary to me, to see stuff like that so mis-appropriated and mis-guided. You need a Rococco-cooler!

It's almost the same thing with "gothic" and some other terms ... it's an effect and the music doesn't have it once you take that part out ... but that piece by EBB would still rip your heart, if you just heard it being spoken! And very "gothic" (literary definition!) in its approach ... trying to horrify you!

How heavy is heavy, and how important is that definition to the content of the music? ... specially when some is fake/makebelieve "evil"?  The same kind as Ozzie ... you pay him for the entertainment and belief ...

Edited by moshkito - March 31 2013 at 14:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:06

.... Wink

At the time, honestly, and I had just as many Moody Blues albums as Beatles or Rolling Stones, I did not think of it as art rock, or anything else ... it was still pop music. The fact that it tried to be more poetic or "artistic" is debatable, when the majority of their lyrics are not really that important, or even that "wise", or even that interesting ... some have fun ideas ... but all in all, it was more glorified pop music, than it was important or meaningful.

That said, the first album was very pretty and a wonderful listen ... but they followed it up with just pop songs ... and the strength and value of almost a whole side of music on an LP, kinda lost it ... it became just a nice piece of music in between 2 songs ... and PF was doing that to setup their effects and synthesizers in between things! (and later added them to the whole story!)

The problem arises when you have a class of folks that want to ensure that their part in the music world is remembered, a lot more than the musicians themselves ... and 175 years later we call Beethoven and Tchaikovsky "romantic", which at the time was the word for "more intense emotional'ism". Same thing for the painters and the writers, btw!

Guess what is missing in our ability to clarify "progressive" and all its avenues? ... I call it ... the reality! Why? ... because, as the opening entry shows, it is separating the music itself from life ... and as such it is totally meaningless and lacks value of any kind. There is no life if there is no music within your heart! You still don't know that? ... so ... start asking ... where is the life behind that music ... beyond a symple lyric that is trying to make believe that it is better and more important than you?

Edited by moshkito - March 31 2013 at 15:08
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 15:56

Classical intro ... check!
Spoken-word poetry ... check!
Arty noises ... check!
Pop music ... check!
Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus... erm... oh, bugger.

Ermm Sounds like Art Rock to me.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply