Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread
    Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:01
Don't know if such a thread was created, but anyway, here it is ; the Black Sabbath appreciation thread.
I've been on a Sabbath binge for two days, so thought I'd start this.
I'll start by asking you all a simple question ; what is your favorite non Ozzy/Dio Sabbath album ? 
The only one I know and own is The Eternal Idol, and I thought I'd ask your opinion before checking into all those other Sab albums.

Ladies and Gents, fire away !
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:22
The only Sabbath album i've gone through is their debut, but it's a great album so that's it. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:44
Born Again has Ian Gillan singing on it and I think that it is pretty good.  The only non-Ozzy/Dio one that I don't have is Cross Purposes.  I guess that I would say that Tyr is the one that I have listened to the most and is probably my favorite.  I've not listened to any of them all that much though. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:23
I bought the very first one in '69 at college ...and I have the next 3 or 4...after that I stopped buying Sabbath.
I do like the Paranoid lp . I give them credit for starting the metal/doom scene but never really continued on after I grew up.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:28
Black Sabbath are planning to release an album this year, and given that it will be with their original line-up, it mightbe worth checking out. 
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:34
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Born Again has Ian Gillan singing on it and I think that it is pretty good.  The only non-Ozzy/Dio one that I don't have is Cross Purposes.  I guess that I would say that Tyr is the one that I have listened to the most and is probably my favorite.  I've not listened to any of them all that much though. 
Forgot about Born Again when creating this thread, and I have it on vinyl and I really enjoy it also.
Taking notes on Tyr, thanks !

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:36
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Black Sabbath are planning to release an album this year, and given that it will be with their original line-up, it mightbe worth checking out. 
Original lineup minus Bill Ward, Brad Wilk from Rage against The Machine will be handling drum duties on the album, and I am really looking forward to it !
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:38
^
oh I dind't know about it. But it's a good substitute, for sure !
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 15:44
I'm afraid of what might come of Ozzy's vocals on the new album. His voice was fitting 40 years ago, but he's aged since then (and took lots of drugs and stuff). It might harm the album.
otto pankrock View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:09
Never really got into the Tony Martin stuff. I'll side with Born Again aswell. Much maligned, much underappreciated album.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 19:48
^Same thoughts about "Born Again". Okay, not all songs are great, but "Zero the Hero" or the opener "Trashed" are good tunes.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 13:03

I never thought I would see such appreciation for Born Again. I really like the material but I can't help but think Ian Gillan didn't fit the band at all, the others are still in great shape.

I listened to a few albums with Martin on vocals but nothing really impressed me, except for Cross Purposes. I don't know why but that album simply works. I'll post a video sometime later.

Excellent thread! And very good news about Wilk replacing Ward (not that I wouldn't love to see Ward there).
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:34

Sabbath were kind of an icon to me whan I was a teenager. Their three top albums to me are Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage and to me those albums are still fantastic after 40 years or so. Snowblind and Wheels of Confusion from the Vol 4 album are probably the hub of what my own music tastes are based on today in that it all spun from there for me. Strangely I'm not a metal fan in that I don't enjoy metal for metal's sake today - I do however love Sabbath, Judas Priest of old and Dream Theater today and  I enjoy metal used for effect where a track calls for heavy sections in music. 

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 15:22
I've only listened to the first six albums - all good, BTW - and I'm highly reluctant to get Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die. I might the Dio-era stuff one of these days.

Also, is it me, or is the track sequence to Paranoid just kind of blah? Ever since I got it, I've always listened to it like this:

Paranoid
Electric Funeral
Fairies Wear Boots
Planet Caravan
Iron Man
Hand Of Doom
Rat Salad
War Pigs

I always thought "War Pigs" was a better album closer than an opener, which "Paranoid" seems to do perfectly. Also, I like spreading out the biggies ("War Pigs", "Paranoid", "Iron Man") instead of bunching them together at the start in order to give the obscure tracks more of a chance to shine. The same could be said of  their classic output; the classic rock stations needs to play more Sabbath.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
sukmytoe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 16:28
Hated the track Paranoid for years to start but find it ok now. Technical Ecstasy and Never say Die aren't as bad as many make them out to be. TE being the better of the two in my opinion. Had those albums been released by a band other than Sabbath there would have been nothing wrong with them - kind of like Genesis doing Duke - removed from their previous efforts but not by all that far. I would suggest that if the previous albums were likened to prog rock then the last two under Ozzie could be likened to straight forward hard rock although TE does contain hints of prog music here and there. I'm glad that I own the last two Sabbath studio albums released with Ozzie as the front man and they are by no means horrible - they still get airplay time from me. Relating to Dio I really only enjoy the Heaven and Hell album (which is a rock classic) - Mob rules isn't something that I refer back to a lot and neither is the later album with Dio as front man. Seventh Star and Eternal Idol I enjoy from later on however I enjoy them differently and for different reasons to what I enjoyed Sabbath's earlier work.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 08:17
Yeah, TE and Never Say Die are good, Never Say Die being my favorite of the two.  Concerning the Dio albums, Dehumanizer is my favorite, Heaven and Hell is second and Mob Rules the third. 
Anyone has thoughts to share about the latest Heaven and Hell album, The Devil You Know ?  I only like half of it myself, again, Dehumanizer was better I think !

Born Again, with Gillan, probably is the heaviest Sabbath album I've heard, but God, did Gillan have to scream so much ?  It fits the material though, heavy and dirty.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 02:12
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the first one I bought, over thirty years ago.  A terrific album.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 20:00
I love every incarnation of Sabbath, with the Dio years (H&H, Mob Rules, Dehumanizer) being far and away my favorite.

Some of the Martin albums seem uneven but actually contain some of Sabbath's best songs, like "Kiss Of Death," the album closer from the oft-panned Forbidden, "I Witness," the opener on Cross Purposes, and the wicked (in more ways than one) title track of Headless Cross.

Seventh Star with Glenn Hughes "rocks like hell," too!

Favorite Ozz album: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Edited by verslibre - April 05 2013 at 20:01
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 14:11
I love Ozzy era the most. Paranoid is for a slight bit overrated, especially in comparison with debut album and Sabotage. Then last two seventies' albums are very underrated: there's a lot of great rocking songs on 'Technical Ecstasy' and few really good tracks on 'Never Say Die!'.

Dio era is great too, 'Heaven and Hell' is obviously the best LP by Sabbath with Dio, but the rest ain't much worse: I don't understand why there's so low rating of Dehumanizer.

'Born Again' seems to be one of the most underrated rock albums ever, alongside with Queen's 'Hot Space'. The production on 'Born Again' might be a bit blurry, but hell, the songs are great!

As for 'Seventh Star' and Tony Martin era, I dislike them all a lot, though Sabbath at that time had several nice songs as well.

Edited by ole-the-first - April 06 2013 at 14:25
This night wounds time.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 14:21
I've really come around to appreciating Born Again.  These days, it's probably my favorite post-Sabotage BS. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>