Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 02:00
The only post-Ozzy albums I own are Heaven and Hell, Born Again, Eternal Idol, a best of the Dio Years compliation, and the 2009 Heaven and Hell album (The Devil You Know). 

The Ozzy era will always be my favourite. The last two from the seventies are perfectly good albums. If anyone other than Sabbath made them, they'd be called classics. 

The Dio stuff is OK, but a bit repetitive. Sabbath used to have a jazzy groove to their early songs. It wasn't all doom and gloom, all the time. It's pretty much all metal, all the time in the Dio era. 

Born Again is surprisingly good. It's probably their overall heaviest album. Haven't delved far into the Martin years, and i probably don't need to go any further than Eternal Idol.

Looking forward to the new album with Ozzy later this year, and I can't wait to see them on tour next Monday here in Melbourne
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 03:18
I just got a few days ago the 2009 The Devil You Know album. As I read some mixed reviews about it I had no expectations, but decided to get it anyway.
I wouldn't dream of comparing it to classic releases but this is definitely a solid release that shows Sabbath (or whatever) still has it. Iommi's well hasn't ran out of exciting heavy riffing, and he pulls out some mean crushing guitars when he needs.
Dio's voice is still powerful, something I wouldn't expect from a 66 year old dude. He definitely sounds more convincing than pretty much any vocalist his age (and a lot of  younger dudes too)
Overall a very good album from the gang, I think it would appeal to most fans of Dio fronted Sabbath.

Oh...and an excellent cover too.

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 03:48
The Devil You Know is good. Maybe not as good as Dehumanizer or Heaven and Hell, but it shows they have still got it. Tony Iommi can still riff like a madman. Dio still sounded amazing for a guy of 66 years of age, singing that genre of music. They can call it what they like, but we all know it's really Black Sabbath (they just didn't want a lawsuit from Sharon). 

What do you guys think of the new track God Is Dead? Tony is awesome of course. Geezer still has it too. Ozzy's vocals unfortunately are sounding quite studio-processed these days. It's a good track though, and sounds a little like a logical follow on from the Sabotage album. 

Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 19:10
New Black Sabbath song:

And album added on PA by me:

Sounds like Metallica

Edited by geneyesontle - April 25 2013 at 19:11
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 19:12
By the way, I love Black Sabbath. The Ozzy era has some good stuff.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12