Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - White Album:pinnacle of Beatles & Music in general
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhite Album:pinnacle of Beatles & Music in general

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 12:43
This album is often heralded the same way as The Stones' Exile on Main Street is - an eclectic loosely assembled record which offers up a multitude of different styles. That said, I don't think either of the two come close to being the peak of their respectable careers.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 20:08
The only Beatles album I find more than just kinda good is Revolver. They just have so many bland tracks I find it hard to take a full album of them in every case other then that one.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 20:42
Revolver is my favorite and the pinnacle of their career as far as I'm concerned, with Magical Mystery Tour in second (yes, I prefer it to Pepper's), Rubber Soul, Pepper's, Abbey Road follow. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 21:10
Revolver is a perfect album I find. Every track is great. They really hit a good stride there.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - March 29 2013 at 21:10
Anthony View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 03:58
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

(Magical Mystery Tour was not an album, it was a double single.)
In the UK it was a double EP, in the USA it was a full album with the same tracklist as the CD version.
It wasn't an LP where The Beatles come from until 1976.  Capitol Records did it, one of those cash-in  hybrids
Isn't that exactly what I posted? As far as I know, The Beatles come from the UK.
Future prosperity lies in the way you heal the world with love
(Introitus - The hand that feeds you)
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 04:35

(Magical Mystery Tour was not an album, it was a double single.)
In the UK it was a double EP, in the USA it was a full album with the same tracklist as the CD version.
It wasn't an LP where The Beatles come from until 1976.  Capitol Records did it, one of those cash-in  hybrids
Isn't that exactly what I posted? As far as I know, The Beatles come from the UK.
What the Beatles made was a double EP, what Capitol Records made was an LP.  The Beatles did not make the Magical Mystery Tour LP, it was made by an american record company cashing in.  That's what I mean.

rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 05:02
^ you're both saying the same thing.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 05:23
Gotta love this place
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:04
I like the white album and let it be, but if you stop here there and not everywhere, you've missed out on a lot of great albums.  However, it might make musical life much simpler...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:09
The "doubles" - The Beatles LP and Magical Mystery Tour EP - are, (without a shadow of doubt), my two favourite Beatles releases - the former because it is an unrestrained extravagance and the latter because it isn't.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The "doubles" - The Beatles LP and Magical Mystery Tour EP - are, (without a shadow of doubt), my two favourite Beatles releases - the former because it is an unrestrained extravagance and the latter because it isn't.

Like that makes any sense at all, disciplined or undisciplined, both are sublime for the former and the latter - ain't that a classic win win they can't lose lose scenarioConfused
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 06:34
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Like that makes any sense at all, disciplined or undisciplined, both are sublime for the former and the latter - ain't that a classic win win they can't lose lose scenarioConfused
How can it not make sense? The Beatles LP could have been easily curtailed to a single album, (and there was a lot of pressure at the time to do that), the Magical Mystery Tour EP could have easily been extended to a full album, (and again, there was a lot of pressure at the time to do that). Of course at the time, considering that anything the Fab Four released would have been hailed as "genius" and sold by the truck-load, they were always in a win-win scenario.

With the benefit of hindsight it is easy to make glib assessments of what they did release, but I don't regard MMT as improved by the addition of the 5 non-album singles.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 07:07
I've got the MMT EP on  CD, WTF???

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 09:37
There is very little variation in their output after The White LP. Take all the The White LP and post-White songs, mix them and the outcome would be a very homogeneous quadruple album.

Lennon and McCartney peaked or rather stagnated on The White Album onwards. No or insignificant progression in their songwriting (from fantastic on The White Album over fantastic on Let It Be to fantastic on Abbey Road). Perhaps they were content with the style they had arrived at on The White LP.

Post-White they tried to add a little production flavour by using Spector and allowing George Martin more freedom but with limited effect. I suppose their music and perhaps music in general had grown up to become what and stay as it was in '68. Or they had become lazy?

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 10:00
Homogeneous?  Just side 4 of the white album has an orchestra backing Ringo's lullaby ballad, Paul's 20s pastiche, and John's avant garde tapeloops, not to mention the rest of it.
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 12:50

^ the oft maligned Revolution 9 is such because a very bad imitation of Stockhausen will never cut it as far as innovation or pushing the boundaries go. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it was McCartney who had the avant garde wanderlust , not Lennon (whose first love was always very basic primal rock'n'roll)

Ian MacDonald claims this track is actually superior as art to anything by Stockhausen.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 07:06
Originally posted by NYSPORTSFAN NYSPORTSFAN wrote:

^ the oft maligned Revolution 9 is such because a very bad imitation of Stockhausen will never cut it as far as innovation or pushing the boundaries go. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it was McCartney who had the avant garde wanderlust , not Lennon (whose first love was always very basic primal rock'n'roll)

Ian MacDonald claims this track is actually superior as art to anything by Stockhausen.

The important thing to remember is that lots more people actually heard Revolution 9 than anything by Stockhausen, simply because the band were hugely popular.  I imagine more future avant garde musicians were led to Stockhausen from Revolution 9 than from any other piece of music.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 08:22
From a Prog frame of mind perspective, the White Album is grossly disjointed and lacking any flow or coherence, but it contains great songs anyway, one of my favourite Beatles albums even if I reckon its weaknesses. It's too bad they did not attempt to build up a concept album with it, it could have been the 1960's The Wall.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 08:49
could've been the 60s Wall?
Why would they stoop so low? (allowing that when the White Album came out, Pink Floyd had only made two albums, I mean)  They made a terrific double album.  If they'd just released a single album then they would've released an extra album of the other songs within a short time, and then we wouldn't have the Let It Be songs.

'From a prog frame of mind perspective' is irrelevant for a pre-1969 album by a pop group.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 07:03
The Beatles is my favourite album of theirs, for its sense of humour, eclectic mix of styles and general brilliantness, however Revolver is probably their peak in terms of an overall album.

The Beatles, as others have said, is the work of a disintegrating band and is basically 4 solo albums (or 2.5 solo albums and 1 solo track).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>