0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 16:09
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Who's the jackass that voted for that joke tarantino?  He's just a chop shop artist that steals other peoples movies, strips out everything good about them (character development, story, etc.), and adds a bunch of over the top language and violence.  All style, absolutely zero substance.  He's never had an original idea in his damn life.

Wink Rez Dogs was great though.

That is the one movie of his that's alright BUT it's also a complete rip-off of Chung Yun-Fat's "City On Fire".

Edited by manofmystery - April 02 2013 at 16:09

Time always wins.
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 19:52

Who's the jackass that voted for that joke tarantino?  He's just a chop shop artist that steals other peoples movies, strips out everything good about them (character development, story, etc.), and adds a bunch of over the top language and violence.  All style, absolutely zero substance.  He's never had an original idea in his damn life.

Wink Rez Dogs was great though.

That is the one movie of his that's alright BUT it's also a complete rip-off of Chung Yun-Fat's "City On Fire".

Wow man, you know your movies. I'm going to have to check that one out. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 19:53
What did you guys think of Django?
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 20:53
Didn't see it.  Refuse to see his garbage.  My guess would be that it was another idea he lifted from someone else, eliminated anything close to character development, added graphic violence and language for the sake of graphic violence and language, and just waited for hollywood lemmings and college dumbasses to come fellate him.  What a complete pile of sh*t, he is. 
I always refer back to this old article anytime this complete tool comes up:

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 20:55

If you were referring to this, though, while I haven't seen it either I would consider it. Big smile

Time always wins.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 07:51

Didn't see it.  Refuse to see his garbage.  My guess would be that it was another idea he lifted from someone else, eliminated anything close to character development, added graphic violence and language for the sake of graphic violence and language, and just waited for hollywood lemmings and college dumbasses to come fellate him.  What a complete pile of sh*t, he is. 

He has a lot of valid points but I feel like saying "I've also left out ________________" when it clearly isn't left out of the argument is incredibly douchey.

fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 12:35

To be frank I like Tarantino's movies(mostly Kill Bill,Pulp Fiction,Death Proof and Inglorious b*****ds).He's talented and knows how to steal from the films he love,he also knows how to quote great composers but I never felt the need to see his films again because for me he can't beat Leone,Peckinpah and Kubrick.On the contray I really dug Django:Foxx and Waltz are great,the soundtrack is awesome,it's a great homage to spaghetti western with hints of blaxploitation.This movie reminds me a lot of Day of anger(with Lee Van Cleef and Guiliano Gemma by Tonino Valerii) even if the end is slightly different.I found it so good I saw it two times in the theater.For me it's Quentin's best film.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 16:47

LOL Could you maybe repost that? It doesn't seem to open for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 16:49
Originally posted by fusionfreak fusionfreak wrote:

To be frank I like Tarantino's movies(mostly Kill Bill,Pulp Fiction,Death Proof and Inglorious b*****ds).He's talented and knows how to steal from the films he love,he also knows how to quote great composers but I never felt the need to see his films again because for me he can't beat Leone,Peckinpah and Kubrick.On the contray I really dug Django:Foxx and Waltz are great,the soundtrack is awesome,it's a great homage to spaghetti western with hints of blaxploitation.This movie reminds me a lot of Day of anger(with Lee Van Cleef and Guiliano Gemma by Tonino Valerii) even if the end is slightly different.I found it so good I saw it two times in the theater.For me it's Quentin's best film.

I thought it was over hyped to be quite honest. Great acting, but the story was a bore.

Edited by Fox On The Rocks - April 03 2013 at 16:49
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 17:10

The link gets changed by PA's censorship, just change the * into an i in the URL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 22:01
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The link gets changed by PA's censorship, just change the * into an i in the URL

Oh I didn't notice that man. Thanks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 12:14
This seems to show a problem with the site's censorship system as the word doesn't even appear within my post.

Time always wins.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 13:23

This seems to show a problem with the site's censorship system as the word doesn't even appear within my post.
Who gives a f**k
What?
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 16:28
This list needs more Aronofsky.  I don't know if he's my absolute favorite or not, but he's on my shortlist.

From this list I my top 2 are Kubrick and Lynch.

Edited by Earendil - April 17 2013 at 23:40
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 16:30

I liked Django a lot.  I think it's one of his best.  He has his flaws as a director, but most of what he does is pretty damn good.  I think Kill Bill is his masterpiece.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 21:52
^ Ugh

Time always wins.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 22:14
Care to elaborate?
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 08:20

You'll have to reswearify the link.

(and basically... reworking ideas from other things, modelling things self-consciously on previous works and styles of, in this case, film  is and has always been a legitimate and important part of producing art [cf. Vergil modelling stuff on Theocritus, Homer, Greek Tragedy, the epic cycle, Apollonius Rhodius and Callimachus... there's some really interesting odd stuff in late antiquity where people create new narratives wholly composed of slightly modified half-lines from previous works]... Tarantino obviously flags up his influences and doesn't make a big deal of pretending the core ideas are all his own)

Having seen both the Djangos (the spaghetti western long before Tarantino's film, which incidentally includes a cameo by Franco Nero and a really neat re-use of the style of the opening shots) - I've not seen the Corbucci sequel, though... the original is a great film (especially Carlo Simi's set design) with an appalling script and pretty terrible English voiceovers. The Tarantino film is the only standout western that's been made since, at least, Unforgiven (and it probably shows more ) and is, imho, both a film where Tarantino's sense of style, production values and ability to wrench great performances out of actors I have otherwise never been impressed by is combined with the film having a real heart. He really should've made his own cameo in it something that he, y'know, can do (and it should really have kept in a bit more dialogue to actually establish the point of that bit of the film) but other than that I think the film's incredible.

But yeah, of the ones I know here (most of), I'm only a big fan of Kubrick and Tarantino. Coen brothers have done some very good and watchable stuff but don't really engage me on a personal level.

The beautiful thing about The Room is that you can always see how hard Wiseau was trying.

As a matter of taste, my own list would be very different.

Edited by TGM: Orb - April 18 2013 at 08:26
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2013 at 21:44

On the list, the Coen brothers.

My all-time favorite is Luis Bunuel. Jacques Tati would be 2nd... Claude Chabrol 3rd. I have a soft spot for Eric Rohmer, 4th. Jacques Rivette. Godard's 60s films.

Favorite films... The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and Phantom of Liberty (Bunuel), Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette), Red (Kieslowski), Diva (Beineix), Le boucher, La rupture and La ceremonie (all by Chabrol), Claire's Knee (Rohmer), Tati's Jour de fete and Mon oncle...

There are very few American directors working today whose films I would just *have* to see. The Coen bros. are one, Lynch is another. Having said that, I've lost interest in a great many international 'art films'. For example, French cinema really went downhill in the 80s and has stayed that way (although the great directors continued to make great films - Rohmer, Chabrol, Rivette, Pialat, et al). A good art film comes out now and again... These days I'd rather watch a zombie flick or a Korean horror film... LOL (Asian horror films, oh yeah! Kairo, Thirst, A Tale of Two Sisters, Dumplings...).

Edited by jude111 - June 06 2013 at 22:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12