0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYM's Top 25 Indie Rock Albums
    Posted: March 30 2013 at 00:37
I've heard all of these albums and enjoy them all greatly. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea for me. My second choice would be Bee Thousand, followed by either Boxer or Funeral. All four of those albums are masterpieces and recommended to any indie fan who hasn't heard.

Also, if you're in a sad music mood, get Rollercoaster by Red House Painters. One of the saddest albums out there I find.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - March 30 2013 at 00:45
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 04:30
Should be renamed the Top 24 American Indie Rock Albums as viewed by Americans.

no vote.
What?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 04:44
The Strokes - Is This It....?!??!?! Please....

No, sir, I don't like it.

I'm with Dean exactly here....most of it tired name-dropping trendy indie stuff. Not that's it's bad, just that lists that end up with most of those titles tend to make me roll my eyes at first glance.... - just like that.

Now if they'd had `The Breeders - Last Splash' or `Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast', then we could talk lol!

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:26
A lot of goodies here. Smile Going with NHM. Classic album.

1. Neutral Milk Hotel
2. Broken Social Scene
3. The Microphones
4. Yo la Tengo
5. Arcade Fire
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:31
Love the Pixies, Breeders, Throwing Muses albums a lot

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm with Dean exactly here....most of it tired name-dropping trendy indie stuff. Not that's it's bad, just that lists that end up with most of those titles tend to make me roll my eyes at first glance.... - just like that.

Now if they'd had `The Breeders - Last Splash' or `Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast', then we could talk lol!

Funny story for you Michael.  I was at First Ave one night when Kim Deal walks out of the ladies room and walks up to us.  She's smoking a big joint and says....."i just took a huge dump"....then she smiled and walked away. 

Rock and rollLOL

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 11:57
That Yo La Tengo album is one of my all-time favorites, that gets my vote.  Also a big fan of both of those Built to Spill albums, the Pavement album, and the Guided by Voices.  Plenty of other good ones too.  I can't really listen to the Pixies anymore though.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 12:58
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Should be renamed the Top 24 American Indie Rock Albums as viewed by Americans.

no vote.

The site uses algorithms like this one. Quantity of votes counts too. The American ones are more well known to the scene, so they're up there since they have a vote quantity advantage. I mean, the top 10 albums on this site are all British. I'm not complaining. As are most of the top 10 alltime albums on that site. The scene is there, so that's how it goes. 

Same as above. Has a voting system similar to here. Those are the top 25 most highly reviewed. Good job, you know some less known stuff. But it's not all going to be up there. Tongue

Also, Matthew Sweet is under the Power Pop/ Singer-Songwriter tag there. Girlfriend is higher rated anyway. Also, The Breeders only carry Indie Rock as a secondary tag on the site, so I'm not sure it's eligible.  In any case, just because your favourite indie band isn't here doesn't mean there's any reason to complain.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - March 30 2013 at 13:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 13:04
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

That Yo La Tengo album is one of my all-time favorites, that gets my vote.  Also a big fan of both of those Built to Spill albums, the Pavement album, and the Guided by Voices.  Plenty of other good ones too.  I can't really listen to the Pixies anymore though.

Yo La Tengo are great. I remember when I was watching a Simpsons episode and they showed up in the credits because they performed the ending music. My jaw dropped. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 13:52
Oh, Disgruntled, don't worry about my rather dismissive post! I think it read a lot nastier than I meant it to be, so sorry about that.

Just because those albums don't mean much to me doesn't mean they aren't special to a whole bunch of other people.

I tend to be particularly snappy about The Strokes, who I find such unimportant, trendy rubbish, with barely a single song of much worth, just marketed as such an important and ground-breaking band. There's also only so many times (3 personally for me so far...) that you can overhear someone saying `Oh, that Strokes album totally changed my world/life', etc...take your pick! Seriously, people, just listen to ANYTHING else

But I do appreciate that it must have taken you a while to actually list all those albums on that poll, so many options lol!   
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:06
I don't know many of these. So no vote. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 14:16
I really have a soft spot for indie rock.  It used to be called "college rock" because it only ever got play on college radio stations.  A lot of the albums on this list came out around the time I was in college or just after (late 80s, early 90s), and it's nice to see they have attained "classic status", at least in some people's eyes.Smile
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2013 at 15:15

Oh, Disgruntled, don't worry about my rather dismissive post! I think it read a lot nastier than I meant it to be, so sorry about that.

Just because those albums don't mean much to me doesn't mean they aren't special to a whole bunch of other people.

I tend to be particularly snappy about The Strokes, who I find such unimportant, trendy rubbish, with barely a single song of much worth, just marketed as such an important and ground-breaking band. There's also only so many times (3 personally for me so far...) that you can overhear someone saying `Oh, that Strokes album totally changed my world/life', etc...take your pick! Seriously, people, just listen to ANYTHING else

But I do appreciate that it must have taken you a while to actually list all those albums on that poll, so many options lol!   

I do understand where you're coming from. The Strokes kind of are an odd one out for me and probably my least favourite of these. I still like the album though. Just not as much as the others. Tongue

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - March 30 2013 at 15:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 02:11
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Funny story for you Michael.  I was at First Ave one night when Kim Deal walks out of the ladies room and walks up to us.  She's smoking a big joint and says....."i just took a huge dump"....then she smiled and walked away.  Rock and rollLOL

Heh, hilarious story, Jim...and horrible lol!

My best `rock' moment....many years ago my friend went and saw Boss Hog, with Jon Spencer and his wife Christina Martinez, they were a kind of a dirty rock/blues/punk band. The band comes on stage, but there were some serious instrument/mixing problems, Christina was pretty wasted. Some poor young roadie starts running across the stage to fix up some cords, etc, and she starts pushing him around, and when his back was turned, crouching down to fix up a cable, she booted him square in the balls - cheap shot lol! As he got up, she then pushed his face into a big speaker with her boot!

It only got worse from there....she singled out this poor girl (who likely had been dragged along by her boyfriend) at the front of the stage, crouched down and sung the next two songs about 30 cm's from her face directly into her eyes....intense! Then she leapt off the stage and started laying into everyone, she grabbed some guy and swung him around, collecting me as he went past. I then get up to see her kneeing my mate in the balls, then kicking along his shins scratching his leg pretty badly, then started punching some other people. Just utter f**king chaos!

Eventually she got back onto the stage, called her drunken friend out and they sung the rest of the concert cracking up laughing, both of them singing together like it was bad drunken karaoke!

I think they played about 45 minutes all up and then shambled off lol!

So musically one of the worst gigs I saw, but memorable for so many other reasons!
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 19:27
Wow, I only know 4 out of them :S 
Surfer Rosa is an album I adore since kid

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 19:45
A lot of great albums on that list, but there's just too much nostalgia (that I can barely remember actually) regarding The Stone Roses' fantastic debut for me...it gets my vote.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 22:38

I really have a soft spot for indie rock.  It used to be called "college rock" because it only ever got play on college radio stations.  A lot of the albums on this list came out around the time I was in college or just after (late 80s, early 90s), and it's nice to see they have attained "classic status", at least in some people's eyes.Smile

Me too. It's weird now, thinking about those bands now; it really seems like another lifetime - Pixies (and Breeders - for me, their Last Splash album's aged the best), Guided by Voices, Pavement, Throwing Muses (who someone mentioned, but I don't see them on the list), Beck...

I met Kristin Hersh in a record shop in Portand, Oregon in the mid-90s and we talked for awhile; she was *so* nice and friendly, I came away with a crush on her. The self-titled debut album by Throwing Muses is one of my favorites of this era; I'm quite fond of Hersh's Hips and Makers as well.

I do agree with Dean, the list is very American-centric. This highlights how large the divide is between American and British music. (I much prefer British music generally, although there's a lot of great American music too.)

Edited by jude111 - April 01 2013 at 08:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2013 at 22:52
Kristin Hersh is wonderful...I have all her stuff too.  Saw her and Tonya at First Ave back in the day....

Michael....ouch!!  LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 00:58
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Me too. It's weird now, thinking about those bands now; it really seems like another lifetime - Pixies (and Breeders - for me, their Last Splash album's aged the best), Guided by Voices, Pavement, Throwing Muses (who someone mentioned, but I don't see them on the list), Beck...

I met Kristin Hersh in a record shop in Portand, Oregon in the mid-90s and we talked for awhile; she was *so* nice and friendly, I came away with a crush on her. The self-titled debut album by Throwing Muses is one of my favorites of this era; I'm quite fond of Hersh's Hips and Makers as well.

I do agree with Dean, the list is very American-centric. This highlights how large the divide is between American and British music. 

The fact the American indie scene was larger than anywhere else is a good reason. Check out the electronic poll from the same site. There is only 1 American choice there.

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - April 01 2013 at 01:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 02:24
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

....Michael....ouch!!  LOL

Jim, every once in a while I'll talk about that concert, and I'll say something like `Mate, that was a pretty cool gig...', and my friend who got kicked in the jewels will kind of grumble and say `Hmmm, that's not how I remember it....'   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>