0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 14:52
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My theory is that the implications of these studies might have some implications for music as well. If I had done that PhD I might have developed this theory more...  Cry Why didn't I do that PhD? sniff sniff...

I too bailed on a PhD program.  Ended up having kids and moving to the suburbs.  Wink
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 14:55
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

My theory is that the implications of these studies might have some implications for music as well. If I had done that PhD I might have developed this theory more...  Cry Why didn't I do that PhD? sniff sniff...

I too bailed on a PhD program.  Ended up having kids and moving to the suburbs.  Wink

LOL LOLClap
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:04

Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

I do agree with Dean, the list is very American-centric. This highlights how large the divide is between American and British music. 

The fact the American indie scene was larger than anywhere else is a good reason. Check out the electronic poll from the same site. There is only 1 American choice there.

I disagree totally. I prefer the British music of this same era, which towers over the American scene, IMO: The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses, the Pogues, Manic Street Preachers, Primal Scream, the Prodigy, Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Chemical Brothers, Pet Shop Boys, Spacemen 3/Spiritualized, the Cure, Jesus and Mary Chain, the Blue Nile, Stereolab, the Orb, Future Sound of London, Aphex Twin, Mogwai, Britpop (Suede, Blur, Pulp, Oasis, Verve, Radiohead), and so much more...
You do realize not one of these bands fall into the indie rock umbrella (except for a couple Smiths albums and SOME of the Britpop)... Lots of these aren't even ROCK. Ermm 

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - April 01 2013 at 15:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:07
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

...as rated by RYM users in the UK.

And there you go, it's barely different.

Now let's please stop throwing around accusations of bias because your favourite bands aren't up there.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:07

You do realize not one of these bands fall into the indie rock umbrella (except for a couple Smiths albums and SOME of the Britpop)...

I'm not really familiar with Rate Your Music...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:12

You do realize not one of these bands fall into the indie rock umbrella (except for a couple Smiths albums and SOME of the Britpop)...

I'm not really familiar with Rate Your Music...
Well, it's not just RYM, lots of what you named isn't even rock, let alone indie rock. Like The Orb, TFSoL, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack. I have nothing against your opinion, but please remember what genre we're speaking of here. Tongue
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:23

Well, it's not just RYM, lots of what you named isn't even rock, let alone indie rock. Like The Orb, TFSoL, Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack. I have nothing against your opinion, but please remember what genre we're speaking of here. Tongue

Again, I respectfully disagree. We're giving it labels now - assigning some bands to the trip-hop genre (even though when they came out, trip-hop didn't exist and wasn't a genre), calling another one ambient house (the Orb) and another acid (FSOL & Primal Scream) and another shoegaze (My Bloody Valentine) and another rave (the Prodigy) and another dream pop (Cocteau Twins) and triphop (Massive Attack) and big beat (Chemical Brothers) and post-rock (Mogwai) and IDM (Aphex Twin & Boards of Canada) even though those genres didn't exist either.

And that's kind of my point. British alternative music exploded into various different directions, while their American counterparts all kind of did the same thing. Americans say, "Oh wait, that's not even rock, let alone indie rock." That's a deeply conservative attitude, and typically (mainstream) American.

I stand by my thesis: British alternative music is far more varied and quickly to develop than American alternative music, which is much more conservative in comparison and slow to change. (Although I'm asking myself now whether perhaps the Internet's changed things a bit, made our worlds a bit more inter-connected and less place-bound?

Edited by jude111 - April 01 2013 at 16:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:34

Again, I respectfully disagree. We're giving it labels now - assigning some bands to the trip-hop genre (even though when they came out, trip-hop didn't exist and wasn't a genre), calling another one ambient house (the Orb) and another acid (FSOL & Primal Scream) and another shoegaze (My Bloody Valentine) and another rave (the Prodigy) even though those genres didn't exist either.

And that's kind of my point. British alternative music exploded into various different directions, while their American counterparts all kind of did the same thing.

I stand by my thesis: British alternative music is far more varied and quickly to develop than American alternative music, which is much more conservative in comparison.

I'm confused. What does any of the first paragraph have to do with this poll at all? Confused This is an indie rock poll. You could make a case for MBV sure as they CAN be classified as indie in a sense (and in fact, Loveless is higher rated on that site than any album on this poll and is my favourite album of all time), but the others have nothing to do with anything going on.

And sure. That's your opinion. Run as far as you want with it. The poll remains the same. 

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - April 01 2013 at 15:34
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 15:40

And sure. That's your opinion. Run as far as you want with it. The poll remains the same. 

You're taking this personally. The poll's fine, I have no problem with the poll, and it's not a personal attack. I enjoy the poll. (I posted a poll myself recently about albums that were judged in an article to be the most key proto-prog albums of 1967. I posted the poll, but was open to criticism of the choices - I didn't make the choices, after all - and I was even critical myself about it.)

Edited by jude111 - April 01 2013 at 15:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 16:11

You're taking this personally. The poll's fine, I have no problem with the poll, and it's not a personal attack. I enjoy the poll. (I posted a poll myself recently about albums that were judged in an article to be the most key proto-prog albums of 1967. I posted the poll, but was open to criticism of the choices - I didn't make the choices, after all - and I was even critical myself about it.)
I'm not taking anything personally. I just don't think it's fair to throw a bunch of artists not even in the genre into the mix. Tongue Guess I'm just an aggressive debater. 

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine - April 01 2013 at 16:14
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 16:46

Guess I'm just an aggressive debater. 

Wink Well, I definitely am. My brother says I don't write, I drop bombs. LOL Sorry about that Big smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 19:27

Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

...as rated by RYM users in the UK.

And there you go, it's barely different.

Now let's please stop throwing around accusations of bias because your favourite bands aren't up there.
The chart should be radically different, but it's not. The National (for example) are not unknown in the UK but they won't have two albums in the top 10 and 3 in the top 20 - whatever algorithm RYM are using it's broken. And that's not because my "favourite bands not up there", (that's asinine and insulting), but because when I produce a similar chart for Gothic Rock (which is an incredibly regional genre) again I get a similar "barely different" set of charts for USA, UK and everyone... and that's daft and wrong (not withstanding the RYM tagging system is so broad and inaccurate that only 2 of the top 20 bands are actually Gothic Rock).
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 23:42
I don't know many of these, but I vote for Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
kit-kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 04:30
indie has become kind of a useless term, but Funeral >> all
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2013 at 13:19
NMH
mongofa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 23:46
Dooooooooooolittle
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 00:19
Originally posted by mongofa mongofa wrote:

Dooooooooooolittle

Handshake
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 00:22
Down Colorful Hill, pretty easily.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 10:36
Saw this poll ages ago, and just stumbled on it again. Neutral Milk Hotel any day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123